What Made You Start DJing? What's Your Story?

What Made You Start DJing? What's Your Story?
Posted on: 24.01.2013 by Antoinette Harbst
I'm curious to see everyone's story about what got you into DJing/electronic music/just this type of lifestyle in general. Why do you do what you do?

My story:
For me it kind of started with just messing around on shockwave back when it was big. I would spend hours playing this one game where you are this kid who just walks the streets with a tape recorder and recording different sounds, go back to your apartment and mix it. Virtual DJ also had a game that I played frequently.

Then I got a dreamcast.

And then an xbox.

This track still give me chills.

Shortly after getting my xbox, I got super into video editing and animation (still am really). So I *purchased* (I was 11) fl studio for making quick little samples for intros and stuff like that. I also got Virtual DJ for the eq, and just to play with.

Fast forward to 16, I went to a club known as Afterlife in Dallas because my friend/roomie had left his license at home (which was an hour drive) so he offered to pay my way in. That was my first time to see a DJ, I spent the evening having a blast but kept going back to the outdoor stage to watch the DJ's spin. Instantly feel in love with it. The way to control the music, the people, the fun, the dancing, the mood and you're the center of it all. Hell yeah!

Did the whole "raver" thing for about 1 1/2 years. I eventually just grew out of it. Toward the end of my raver days was when dubstep started getting really big, so I jumped on that bandwagon trying to make the next big track for the genre!

That never happened. I realized quickly that dubstep just wasn't my thing.

Started branching out, learning more instruments, genres, had a few bands, and now I've come back with a bit more knowledge and understanding of music, trying to relearn everything and hopefully do something with it.

And here I am!
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by Stewe
Not to mention walkman chew your favourite tape
FAAAAK!

And car tape radio's!

Then you gotta pull it all out...and use that pencil again...all slow like.
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by sarasin
And the pencil rewind trick when you had a walkman....to save its batteries.

Hehe, I used to do that ALL the time....
Kellie Myrum

Lilliana Perris
I've started to listen electronic music back in '94-'95 (was 12 years old) and my best friend's uncle Jole (electronics freak btw) infected us with GOA psychedelic trance. He always had strong sound system, two double deck Technics and his hand made mixer /http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWNZvXwk4Q/ at home where we spent hours every day listening cassette tapes and mixing to Cox Box, Man with no name, Total Eclipse, Astral Projection, etc etc.. He also rented his sound and since he wasn't really into DJing this is where we jump in and play our sets back to back - TBH we were playing all genres depend on show. This days kids don't know what it was to search for track using cassettes

Few years later we bought cd players (audio) that made job MUCH easier - they were nice Technics but I don't really recall the series. So finally I had luck to buy Pio CMX-3000, Behringer mixer and decent sound for smaller parties, man I was happy like smack the fool this player was damn good for beatmatching back then, so we practice and practice mixing house and techno since GOA trance was slowly going into comercial... That was the time I first time saw Atomix at the guy who lived in next town and who was in same business - I was like give me a copy! Was really excited about adding effects in to mix so I started to play with it and put my pio on rent. Some time after that my PC system collapse and kid who fixed it knew about my DJing and asked me if I want to try Traktor, I was like are you shitting me because Traktor means tractor in my language I gave it a spin and realized the sound was much better then Atomix and it had built filter per deck which was awesome. Yes I mixed it with mouse and keyboard and didn't even knew what MIDI or controller are

That's when I started my first keyboard mappings and it performed well. Must say it was the time I played less gigs and my bedroom was mostly the place where windows were shaking during my mixes. I bought my first controller and it was BCD3000 which was heavy payed - gave a whole month paycheck for that guy. I was excited to finally use a MIDI controller in traktor and actually give mapping a go and then all the sudden TRAKTOR PRO appears. It was a godsend to have a decent beatgrids! But hay, then I found out about DJTT and this thing controllerism and all that mapping stuff which ca push DJ performance using a peace of mind to make yourself some mapping tricks. But actually, I run in to a problem pretty soon... His name was NOT ENOUGH KNOBS!

Fortunately I discovered modifiers, I always knew they were there just didn't knew what they are for hehe. Suddenly it all made sense and I was able to create a modifier grid which gave me ability to create a whole number of layers in my BCD mapping to develop my arsenal of mapping presets to improve live performance!

I learned many from this community s and love being here! Now I'm using that knowledge to help out all fellas DJs as far as my the blanket lungs

Matt Kane
my older sister took me to some raves and technoparties back when i was 13-14. i still remember being in a club for the first time with a massive line up (dj rush, chris liebing, thomas schumacher and monika kruse). i always loved electronic music especially dnb and with makai
Layne Koop
Originally Posted by photojojo
Sometimes I forget I started with a double cassette decks several years before the whole record deal. I knew I was on to something when people would say "you made this?!?" I wish I could find some of those tapes again.
I had three single deck Technics tape players. They had an awesome feature that would look for 3 seconds of silence as a track marker. So, you could hit the "skip" button 5 times and it would fast forward to the 5th track on the tape. It also had a really crude tempo control with a range of about +/- 3%....just enough to make things interesting. I had two tape decks hooked to the mixer, and one I used to "cue" the tapes to the right song. It was high tech!
Lilliana Perris
FAAAAK!

And car tape radio's!

Then you gotta pull it all out...and use that pencil again...all slow like.
Celestine Porebski

Hehe, I used to do that ALL the time....
Kellie Myrum

Lilliana Perris
I've started to listen electronic music back in '94-'95 (was 12 years old) and my best friend's uncle Jole (electronics freak btw) infected us with GOA psychedelic trance. He always had strong sound system, two double deck Technics and his hand made mixer /http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWNZvXwk4Q/ at home where we spent hours every day listening cassette tapes and mixing to Cox Box, Man with no name, Total Eclipse, Astral Projection, etc etc.. He also rented his sound and since he wasn't really into DJing this is where we jump in and play our sets back to back - TBH we were playing all genres depend on show. This days kids don't know what it was to search for track using cassettes

Few years later we bought cd players (audio) that made job MUCH easier - they were nice Technics but I don't really recall the series. So finally I had luck to buy Pio CMX-3000, Behringer mixer and decent sound for smaller parties, man I was happy like smack the fool this player was damn good for beatmatching back then, so we practice and practice mixing house and techno since GOA trance was slowly going into comercial... That was the time I first time saw Atomix at the guy who lived in next town and who was in same business - I was like give me a copy! Was really excited about adding effects in to mix so I started to play with it and put my pio on rent. Some time after that my PC system collapse and kid who fixed it knew about my DJing and asked me if I want to try Traktor, I was like are you shitting me because Traktor means tractor in my language I gave it a spin and realized the sound was much better then Atomix and it had built filter per deck which was awesome. Yes I mixed it with mouse and keyboard and didn't even knew what MIDI or controller are

That's when I started my first keyboard mappings and it performed well. Must say it was the time I played less gigs and my bedroom was mostly the place where windows were shaking during my mixes. I bought my first controller and it was BCD3000 which was heavy payed - gave a whole month paycheck for that guy. I was excited to finally use a MIDI controller in traktor and actually give mapping a go and then all the sudden TRAKTOR PRO appears. It was a godsend to have a decent beatgrids! But hay, then I found out about DJTT and this thing controllerism and all that mapping stuff which ca push DJ performance using a peace of mind to make yourself some mapping tricks. But actually, I run in to a problem pretty soon... His name was NOT ENOUGH KNOBS!

Fortunately I discovered modifiers, I always knew they were there just didn't knew what they are for hehe. Suddenly it all made sense and I was able to create a modifier grid which gave me ability to create a whole number of layers in my BCD mapping to develop my arsenal of mapping presets to improve live performance!

I learned many from this community s and love being here! Now I'm using that knowledge to help out all fellas DJs as far as my the blanket lungs

Tomiko Schellenberger
I got drunk at the same club far too often, eventually got to know the DJ's and I had always been interested in DJing so I gave it a try, loved it and never looked back.
Kellie Myrum

Piedad Apelian
10 years ago the main draw was the fact that drugs are expensive and real jobs suck...
Ngoc Ninow
Always been a massive massive house music fan, and studied music at uni.

Whilst at uni, I worked as a door supervisor/bouncer/doorman/*insert other term here*.

This guy was a resident DJ at the bar I worked out. Watching him and listening to him and talking to hi. got the idea stuck in my head, and haven't looked back ;

The guy done good!
Rena Estabrook
29 years ago.. inspired by cool sounding mix tapes

Recently.. fear of unemployment.
Matt Kane
my older sister took me to some raves and technoparties back when i was 13-14. i still remember being in a club for the first time with a massive line up (dj rush, chris liebing, thomas schumacher and monika kruse). i always loved electronic music especially dnb and with makai
Edwina Fagel
Loved music. The rest is history.
Nereida Jasnoch
Just listening to some tunes and suddenly my brain goes:
"holy sh!t I like this particular genre a lot, obviously to an abnormal extent.
I should share this with as much people as possible by DJing."
Nga Mcquarter
Well, I have to admit that my first EDM record was from Mr. Guetta, I'm not proud of it, you know, but then I wanted to know what DJing was like, so I downloaded Virtual DJ Home Free and started making awful mainstream bootlegs. After that I started listening to the EDM radio in Barcelona and signed to their community s. My collection got big and awesome in a small time. After that I started recording sessions every week for 6 months. After that it was summer and my computer got broken and I left DJing for a while. Afterwards I got a new computer and I started DJing again and also started producing. Soo that's basically my history, hope you liked it
Latrina Prude
Great topic, It all started back in 2008 when House Music was just beginning to emerge here in the US. I was at my friend's house at the time and they had introduced me to this new type of music from Romania. I remember the first track they played for me was "Stereo Love" by Edward Maya. I loved what I was listening to and told them that you don't hear this type of music being played on the radio nowadays. (I would soon be in for a big surprise a couple of years later.)

From then on I started getting more into House Music from Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, Afrojack, etc. I went to several concerts, the first one being "Benny Benassi & Friends" at Pacha NYC, the second one being Tiesto at Asbury Park. Then one day my friend told me about this software Virtual DJ, so I downloaded a demo and messed around a bit. I remember making my first mix in my bedroom on a numark mixtrack I had just bought. I'd be up all evening teaching myself how to mix, going through tutorials online, and learning as much as I could about DJ'ing. From that moment on I knew what I wanted to do. Fast forward a few years later, House Music has completely taken over the US and for the first time I heard "Stereo Love" being played on the radio. The rest is history
Modesta Willox
It all started when I saw Tron Legacy and heard Daft Punks music, so I got interested andnlooked them up and came accros house music which lead me to electro house and I heard a few of Dj Blends old mixes and I liked a lot of the tracks he used. So I found a real love for electro house and came across Afrojack and downloaded a few of his tracks and Virtual DJ and started messing around and got the hang of it. Down the road I got a nice set of speakers, headphones, Serato and a mixtrack pro and my music preferences have grown to loving House, Moombahton, and Trap the most.
Layne Koop
Sometimes I forget I started with a double cassette decks several years before the whole record deal. I knew I was on to something when people would say "you made this?!?" I wish I could find some of those tapes again.
I had three single deck Technics tape players. They had an awesome feature that would look for 3 seconds of silence as a track marker. So, you could hit the "skip" button 5 times and it would fast forward to the 5th track on the tape. It also had a really crude tempo control with a range of about +/- 3%....just enough to make things interesting. I had two tape decks hooked to the mixer, and one I used to "cue" the tapes to the right song. It was high tech!
Brunilda Kora
I saw the VCI with the arcade buttons and thought "that's a nice flashy lighty buttony thing - I'll have one of those".

/saracasm.
Palma Hanslip
My father was a DJ right up until he handed me the headphones back in 2006.. As soon as i was physically able to control my movements my father had me putting needles on records. So i just grew up doing it.. There wasn't any thought put into it, it was just one of those things.
Lilliana Perris
My house mate pulled out a tape during the week and I almost pissed in my pants. It had been a while...
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj
+1 My tape collection was a little bigger than average. So I would make mixtapes & bring them to parties.
Sherrell Dargenio
My whole life was always music, I never got involved with music beyond listening to it until I was 15 and picked up playing the drums. Back then my whole life was heavy metal, black metal, death metal, thrash... Whatever it was, you name it and I listened to it. The more evil it was the more I liked it. Around 2005 I met the most unbelievably gorgeous woman I've ever met (still holds true to now) and she loooooved house. I gave it a shot but never really got fully into it though I did enjoy it. Around 2010 I started going to after hours clubs and fell in love with the music.

In mid 2011 I realized just dancing wasn't enough and I wanted more so I started playing around with a bootleg version of Traktor to see how I'd enjoy it. Didn't take long and in Dec 2011 picked up my Kontrol S4 w/ Traktor 2. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life and even though I've still only played a few gigs I'd never had so much fun or worked so hard on anything ever! Now I'm working on producing as well and it's a whole new love of mine to go with the DJ aspect. It's a wonderful musical world and hopefully we can all achieve our goals!
Lilliana Perris
I was into Metal and was drumming in a band. I was 16.

My mate took me to a 'techno' party...( I was believeing 2Unlimited ) and kinda made up my mind that i was gonna hate it.

Got there....and was enjoying it by the end of the evening .

Then I went to a Psytrance party and saw Tsuyoshi Suzuki playing. It was badass.
He was really good on the vinyl decks.

I knew a guy from school...that I randomly bumped into one evening and we started talking about parties etc. He told me that he DJ's etc. I went to check his shit out and fell in love with it.

Soon I had flogged my drum kit and bought TT's and mixer.

That was in '96.

Here I am!

Lashawn Maycock
Good thread

Mix tapes back in the very early 90's, particularly Sasha G-Spot 1992 and Universe 1992, also the Essential Selection and later the Essential Mix (1993), not forgetting the seminal Renaissance Mix Collection by Sasha & Diggers in 1994. I was a little too young to go to clubs at the start of the 90's, believe my first rave/club evening was around 1994 (showing my age ) - which simply blew me away. I'd heard and listened to dance music in the late 80s/early 90's but going to the first event was an eye/ear opener.

Got my first decks in 1994 - Soundlab DLP1's (belt drive!!) and a Kam MadeIIFade 4 channel mixer - which only had channel and cross faders, headphone output/mic input and 3 band eq on the overall master output - that was it! Bought my Technics 1210 Mk2's later that year.

First record bought for DJing purposes was a Rising High white lable of Union Jack - Two Full Moons & A Trout
Tera Baragan
What made me want to start djing would probably be from being that raver that overly enjoys the music.

At an early partying stage I was counting beats before the drop and letting my nooby friends know when the bass was gonna hit. It started here and slowly moved into me finding my own bangers that people enjoyed.

Now I enjoy setting the tone or vibe of the evening . Makes me happy when I can see people having the most awesome time of there lives
Layne Koop
I had a lot of records that other people wanted to hear.
+1 My tape collection was a little bigger than average. So I would make mixtapes & bring them to parties.
Leeanna Ayla
I had a lot of records that other people wanted to hear.
Merideth Garnder
Actually started out attending events.....was really into dancing.

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy