Any Apple wizards here to help???

Any Apple wizards here to help???
Posted on: 28.02.2013 by Temple Cervelli
Recently i have been hearing a buzzing/humming noise coming out of my studio monitors, which are connected to a USB audio interface i have, thats connected then to my MBP via USB. I haven't ever heard this before but then i have only just started using my interface recently.

i believe my MBP battery is on its way out, someone told me to check coconutbattery and it apparently showed that my batter is 4 years old and only has 65% health or something? Plus my macbook turns off randomly as if there was no battery left, when there IS loads of battery left.

I have tried another charger (my dads replacement macbook charger) and still got the humming noise out my speakers... I tried headphones into my macb, and i could hear a kind of static noise, but when i touched the macbooks housing the noise stopped, if i help my finger on the macbook, like on the case it stopped, soon as i let go it carried on...

Can any help me with this please? What do I need to do? Can you tell me to do some tests or something to maybe help you get a better understanding...

ask any questions and ill help to answer you
Thanks

EDIT: when I remove charger there is no buzzing noise, so maybe a problem with the charger port? Because I've tried two chargers!
Temple Cervelli
Originally Posted by makar1
There's nothing wrong with the charger.

Are you using this cable attached to your charger:
http://okigeek.com/wp-content/upload...Ojrs-2BlBL.jpg

Or something like this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA...u3Q~~48_79.JPG
The 2nd one!!!!!!! That's the one ive always had! Tried my dads apple replacement charger too which is the same as mine, but i believe he couldn't actually un-clip it tho. but still thats the one!
Temple Cervelli
Super are you using the long extension Apple includes with its chargers or the small clip-on plug? The long cable has a 3-pin connection including ground, whereas the small clip-on plug has a 2-pin connection without a ground.

From what you've said it's pretty much guaranteed to be a ground loop problem - not a "fault" with your gear like some have suggested. You could try connecting your charger and speakers to a common ground point using a multi-socket extension lead, and there are also cheap ground loop isolaters you can use to remove the noise from your cables. Try the different Apple charger plugs I mentioned 1st though.
Erm... I'm not too sure mate, I'm looking at the charger now, and i can actually un-clip the plug thats on the charger...?
and the end that goes into my macbook has 5 pins, like theres a tiny one in the middle and then 2 either side...

okay dude ill put an extension lead into a plug socket in my bedroom or something and then plug my monitors and charger into that and let you know the outcome!

Should i just buy another charger?
Lin Danek
Super are you using the long extension Apple includes with its chargers or the small clip-on plug? The long cable has a 3-pin connection including ground, whereas the small clip-on plug has a 2-pin connection without a ground
My point. As a matter of interest M - the 3-pin doesn't affect my 'home' setup (S4 to KRK sub to KRK6s), but I run short customised cables (TRS & XLR).
Lin Danek
Originally Posted by Superfreak
@JonathonBlake - really???? What the heck actually is it then?? :-( I've tried two chargers, still makes the noise... I've plugged the charger into a different plug socket in the room, while it was hooked up to my speakers, still the noise... Uff I believe I am due to get a new battery as mine is 4 years old and has 65% health, but surely this wouldn't cause this?
I struggled with the same problem with an ASUS NJ61. The Shuko (2 prong) AC plug is 'illegal' in South Africa - our laptop chargers come with an earthed 3-pin 15amp plug. The earthing terminal results in ground loop. Some DJs remove the earthing wire, but this affects your warranty. Another option is to use the Shuko, with an adapter which isn't earthed. Otherwise a 'line conditioner' which is placed between my S4 (not sure if you are using a controller) and the output TRS plugs does the same thing. Just gone to Mac which comes with a Euro 2-pin AC adapter - no ground loop. I have it on good authority (PHd Electronics) that removing the earthing wire does NOT put your laptop at risk, but I always use(d) surge protection. Line conditioner works a treat, but is yet another thing to consider when packing for a gig.
Temple Cervelli
Ahhhhhhh, diagnosed the problem....

it was the RCA lead..... i had one phono cable, red and black L & R, 2 end connected into the outputs of the interface, and then i split the other end apart so it stretched into each monitor, black end one monitor and red end into the other monitor... I didn't cut them open or anything just pulled the two ends apart so i could reach it into each monitor...

changed it for another phono lead that i use for traktor and my audio 10, and it sounds fine!!
Temple Cervelli
Nope I only have that charger!

I'm have a really cheap interface that came with my behringer midi keyboard, its a 'U-Control UCA222' costs about $30 to actually buy i believe, and I've got KRK Rokit 8s!

Doing a test now dude just un-plugging!
Alphonso Deitchman
Ok, do you have the longer lead to test with?

Also what audio interface+monitors are you using? Did the extension lead help at all?
Temple Cervelli

Or something like this:
The 2nd one!!!!!!! That's the one ive always had! Tried my dads apple replacement charger too which is the same as mine, but i believe he couldn't actually un-clip it tho. but still thats the one!
Alphonso Deitchman

Or something like this:
Temple Cervelli
Super are you using the long extension Apple includes with its chargers or the small clip-on plug? The long cable has a 3-pin connection including ground, whereas the small clip-on plug has a 2-pin connection without a ground.

From what you've said it's pretty much guaranteed to be a ground loop problem - not a "fault" with your gear like some have suggested. You could try connecting your charger and speakers to a common ground point using a multi-socket extension lead, and there are also cheap ground loop isolaters you can use to remove the noise from your cables. Try the different Apple charger plugs I mentioned 1st though.
Erm... I'm not too sure mate, I'm looking at the charger now, and i can actually un-clip the plug thats on the charger...?
and the end that goes into my macbook has 5 pins, like theres a tiny one in the middle and then 2 either side...

okay dude ill put an extension lead into a plug socket in my bedroom or something and then plug my monitors and charger into that and let you know the outcome!

Should i just buy another charger?
Lin Danek
Super are you using the long extension Apple includes with its chargers or the small clip-on plug? The long cable has a 3-pin connection including ground, whereas the small clip-on plug has a 2-pin connection without a ground
My point. As a matter of interest M - the 3-pin doesn't affect my 'home' setup (S4 to KRK sub to KRK6s), but I run short customised cables (TRS & XLR).
Alphonso Deitchman

Lin Danek
@JonathonBlake - really???? What the heck actually is it then?? :-( I've tried two chargers, still makes the noise... I've plugged the charger into a different plug socket in the room, while it was hooked up to my speakers, still the noise... Uff I believe I am due to get a new battery as mine is 4 years old and has 65% health, but surely this wouldn't cause this?
I struggled with the same problem with an ASUS NJ61. The Shuko (2 prong) AC plug is 'illegal' in South Africa - our laptop chargers come with an earthed 3-pin 15amp plug. The earthing terminal results in ground loop. Some DJs remove the earthing wire, but this affects your warranty. Another option is to use the Shuko, with an adapter which isn't earthed. Otherwise a 'line conditioner' which is placed between my S4 (not sure if you are using a controller) and the output TRS plugs does the same thing. Just gone to Mac which comes with a Euro 2-pin AC adapter - no ground loop. I have it on good authority (PHd Electronics) that removing the earthing wire does NOT put your laptop at risk, but I always use(d) surge protection. Line conditioner works a treat, but is yet another thing to consider when packing for a gig.
Dick Korus
Check your input routing to see if the mic is on. This happened to me and my problem showed similar symptoms on my MacBook.
Temple Cervelli
@deevey - ill give that a try, ill just blow into the inputs and give them a wipe or whatever! I hope I don't have to replace any internal stuff, apart from the removable battery.

@mdcdesign - well, I did put my finger tips on the MacBook when I had the headphones plugged in when it was on charge, and the slight noise I could hear stopped while my finger tips were placed onto the mac, and when I took them off it carried on..

Lin Danek
Originally Posted by vanaema78
It's a ground loop and there are many different fixes for that. Google.
Not a Mac (or PC) problem - this.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by deevey
First thing to do is clean the contacts on the macbook's power socket - may be you have dirty connectors (happens me every so often).

However it sounds like its probably a faulty battery/power circuit which I've seen a few times - if I remember right its a separate board from the logic board and cheap to replace ($30?).

Its only a tiny current - wouldn't be too worried about it to be honest.
EVERYONE who owns a MBP gets this tbh, but nobody dies from it.

You can tell if a device isn't earthed properly because running your fingertips over it VERY softly creates a sensation kinda like stroking a cat's fur, although it's difficult to explain. Try it with your laptop and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I experience this on pretty much every metal-cased electrical device, but I'm more sensitive to EM fields than most.
Rolanda Clodfelder
First thing to do is clean the contacts on the macbook's power socket - may be you have dirty connectors (happens me every so often).

However it sounds like its probably a faulty battery/power circuit which I've seen a few times - if I remember right its a separate board from the logic board and cheap to replace ($30?).

I can actually revive an electric shock from this?
Its only a tiny current - wouldn't be too worried about it to be honest.
Temple Cervelli
Daaamn. So, is this ground loop coming from MBP charger!? Or is it inside my MacBook?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groun...ity)#section_1 my worries were true, I can actually revive an electric shock from this? I really need to know the problem/whats causing it and whay its affecting so I can try and get it fixed before I blow up my mac or my self :-(
Doreen Schurle
Okay, I tried my MacBook charger on another plug socket, but not enough space to plug both speakers in and move the interface etc, so I just plugged my headphones in, and I still got a very slight humming noise, but it stopped when I put my finger on my MacBook :S

Strange.. I tried my dads MacBook Pro replacement charger too, and it made a humming noise as well..

@mdcdesign - Hm, my charger isn't USB tho! I got the humming noise even when the monitors wernt connected (I plugge sheaf phones into MacBook)

I also can't change the audio interface USB cable as the interface end is like built into it.
Ah you're buggered then. The issue you described is a ground/interference one; you could try buying a ferrite core and fitting it yourself to your USB interface.
Temple Cervelli
Okay, I tried my MacBook charger on another plug socket, but not enough space to plug both speakers in and move the interface etc, so I just plugged my headphones in, and I still got a very slight humming noise, but it stopped when I put my finger on my MacBook :S

Strange.. I tried my dads MacBook Pro replacement charger too, and it made a humming noise as well..

@mdcdesign - Hm, my charger isn't USB tho! I got the humming noise even when the monitors wernt connected (I plugge sheaf phones into MacBook)

I also can't change the audio interface USB cable as the interface end is like built into it.
Edwina Fagel
It's a ground loop and there are many different fixes for that. Google.
Doreen Schurle
There's a REALLY simple cure to this, which most people don't even realise.

It's your USB cable. You need one with double ferrite chokes on them, which are a PITA to find; DJTechTools actually sells one in their store, which I've got 3 of. Quite expensive for USB cables (by eBay standards), but it WILL solve your problem.

The other alternative is just trawl through eBay looking for one with double ferrite chokes.

THIS is what you want, just not 20 feet long like this one lol.

In fact, this is EXACTLY what you want, and it's only 99p.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable-...item4d09c4a76a

Enjoy!
Matt Kane
the problem is the electric circuit. try hooking up your monitors and macbook to 2 different circuits. this should solve the problem.

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy