Repair RAM permissions on a mac ? (how to free up ram ?)

Home :: Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics. :: Repair RAM permissions on a mac ? (how to free up ram ?)Reply
Repair RAM permissions on a mac ? (how to free up ram ?)
Posted on: 25.05.2013 by Nereida Jasnoch
Hi, so I have an early 2011 MBP with 4 GB of RAM but without really doing a lot I'm already using up 2,34 GB.

I believe it's really starting to affect the performance.

How can I make my machine faster again ?

Thanks
Marla Ballan
buy more ram, trust me. my imac had 4gb ram and it was slow. i bought 4gb extra and now everything is fast and it only cost 20
Marla Ballan
buy more ram, trust me. my imac had 4gb ram and it was slow. i bought 4gb extra and now everything is fast and it only cost 20
Marla Ballan
Marla Ballan
Marla Ballan
Marla Ballan
Javier Rowinsky
Originally Posted by akswun
buy more RAM. its cheap now to get 8gigs of RAM. Around $30. Thats not much of a budget eater if you ask me. But really you wont even notice the difference. Don't get youself worked up about what the Utility is saying. IMO theres only 2 major things to speed up your MBP/Mac or any computer.

1. Buy more RAM(Cheap now a days)
2. Swap your hard drive for a Solid State drive (Can be expensive, but I bought a Samsung 250gig for $180 last month)

The SSD option will really show you what a performance upgrade feels like. The RAM upgrade, not so much. I'm running a late 09 MBP and just upgraded to an SSD. My computer feels 'new-er' and faster but really the processor is what is doing the work and that isn't replaceable .
Where can you get 8GB of ram for $30?? Hook it up dawwg!
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by MyUsername
oh shit, youtube pretty much replaced TV for me.

What exactly does the "purge" command do ? It's no delete System 32 joke is it
Cleans up Active/Inactive RAM. It's safe as typing format c:
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by deevey
so if you've been watching youtube videos you will be pretty screwed.

Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
There's no such thing as "RAM permissions", you must be believeing of Disk Permissions, but that has nothing to do with RAM.
I know what disk permissions is. And RAM permissions are the exact words he used.

So the only way to speed my computer up is to get more RAM or an SSD ?
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by Era 7
add more ram?
Pretty sure I can solve this or at least make it better without eating away at my vinyl budget. I just don't know how.

Reboot?
Thought so too but I didn't really do much.
Nereida Jasnoch
Hi, so I have an early 2011 MBP with 4 GB of RAM but without really doing a lot I'm already using up 2,34 GB.

I believe it's really starting to affect the performance.

How can I make my machine faster again ?

Thanks
Nereida Jasnoch
Yeah maybe I really need an SSD or more RAM is was doing some stuff in ableton yesterday and my computer couldn't handle it anymore. So basically you can't do a song the way you want.
Marla Ballan
Gaynell Rydberg
Those deals are around all the time. Just search slickdeals.
Javier Rowinsky
Originally Posted by akswun
buy more RAM. its cheap now to get 8gigs of RAM. Around $30. Thats not much of a budget eater if you ask me. But really you wont even notice the difference. Don't get youself worked up about what the Utility is saying. IMO theres only 2 major things to speed up your MBP/Mac or any computer.

2. Swap your hard drive for a Solid State drive (Can be expensive, but I bought a Samsung 250gig for $180 last month)

The SSD option will really show you what a performance upgrade feels like. The RAM upgrade, not so much. I'm running a late 09 MBP and just upgraded to an SSD. My computer feels 'new-er' and faster but really the processor is what is doing the work and that isn't replaceable .
Where can you get 8GB of ram for $30?? Hook it up dawwg!
Rolanda Clodfelder
Closing your browser (or the specific tabs) should immediately free up the memory taken up by flash applications.
Easiest Solution TBH or you can kill the flash player in activity monitor if you dont want to reload all your tabs.

BTW the Purge Command does NOT work for flash anymore for whatever reason , god it really is a badly programmed piece of shite!

25 tabs open ONE instance of a youtube player to watch a few vides and flash was taking up 1.7 gigs of ram - ugh!
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by MyUsername

Cleans up Active/Inactive RAM. It's safe as typing format c:
Chet Gatts

Alphonso Deitchman
Closing your browser (or the specific tabs) should immediately free up the memory taken up by flash applications.
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by deevey
so if you've been watching youtube videos you will be pretty screwed.

Rolanda Clodfelder
Chrome and itunes, seems a bit excessive to take up 2 GB and it barely drops when I quit applications.
Flash Player EATS up ram and will not release it, so if you've been watching youtube videos you will be pretty screwed.

You can free up unused ram by going into Applications > Utiities > Terminal

Open Terminal and type "purge" (without quotes) and press enter.

Dont do this during a gig as everything freezes for about 30 seconds.
Alphonso Deitchman
Computers will make use of as much RAM as possible in order to speed up general operation, especially if you have a standard HDD. Unless you're actually getting close to running out of RAM, there's nothing to worry about.

The slow performance is probably due to all the things you've installed onto the machine.
Nereida Jasnoch
There's no such thing as "RAM permissions", you must be believeing of Disk Permissions, but that has nothing to do with RAM.
I know what disk permissions is. And RAM permissions are the exact words he used.

So the only way to speed my computer up is to get more RAM or an SSD ?
Doreen Schurle
Nereida Jasnoch
Chrome and itunes, seems a bit excessive to take up 2 GB and it barely drops when I quit applications.

It's just a problem because the laptop feels slow in general. And it 'd be nice to give it a speed boost without spending money.

Some guy on the community said he repaired his RAM permissions and it made it a big difference, but that was a while back.
Doreen Schurle
Well tbh we're gonna need more information to really help... for example, what do you have running when it's utilizing 2GB of RAM?

I should point out by the way, that that's not actually a BAD thing. RAM is supposed to be used by running applications.
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by Era 7
add more ram?
Pretty sure I can solve this or at least make it better without eating away at my vinyl budget. I just don't know how.

Reboot?
Thought so too but I didn't really do much.
Doreen Schurle
Reboot?
Tesha Freudenstein
add more ram?

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy