Do you hold back?

Do you hold back?
Posted on: 02.10.2013 by Valery Forestier
So a topic for DJ's alike.. at some point in time you have swapped libraries with another DJ. Now the question is, do you hold back? Do you not release those promo copies that you cherish that set you apart? I will admit that I have, and probably will again (especially if I do not know you that well). What's your opinion?
Matt Kane
just curious about why one would need to disable their usb-ports? why would you let someone take stuff from you computer? like:
"yeah mate, cool. i
Matt Kane
swapping a library with another dj? never have i done something like this. a few tunes, but that
Hank Guidas
Originally Posted by The Mighty FV
Swapping your library of music? Are you insane.

Do you put your wife out so mates can have a go on her too?
If she doesn't behave
Matt Kane
just curious about why one would need to disable their usb-ports? why would you let someone take stuff from you computer? like:
"yeah mate, cool. i
Matt Kane
swapping a library with another dj? never have i done something like this. a few tunes, but that
Valery Forestier
So a topic for DJ's alike.. at some point in time you have swapped libraries with another DJ. Now the question is, do you hold back? Do you not release those promo copies that you cherish that set you apart? I will admit that I have, and probably will again (especially if I do not know you that well). What's your opinion?
Hank Guidas
Originally Posted by The Mighty FV

If she doesn't behave
Tera Baragan
I only share with buddies that A. Respect the style I play or B. Are an oldertime dj who just enjoys listening to the new tunes!
Valery Forestier
Haha, maybe that was a bit extreme saying to swap full libraries, but to let you take some tracks (especially when specified which ones) and they take the liberty to thumb through and start downloading other folders.
Joesph Kasian

Yong Aptekar
Take my library? No. That's akin to piracy. If my friends (and only my friends) ask for a track I played, they get the name and artist. I'm not napster, I'm not handing out my music. I do hold back on some gems though. Want those, you're on your own lol
Palma Hanslip
I've done it a few times in the past but it's just a handful of tracks here and there and it's always bootlegs or edits my mates have done that are willing to part with.

Other than that i protect all my music and nobody gets near it and i don't go near anyone elses music. It's called respect i guess
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I played a party, went to have some fun and came back seeing the copy was about 60% done, I was pretty pissed off as except for that indiscretion a few years ago, I pay for all my tracks, not only with money but with a lot of time. I'm all for teaching a noob the ropes and what producers and labels put out great stuff consistently, but that's just a douche move.
Valery Forestier
Mine was actually a hard drive and not a computer, but I could see his stance if you let him plug in and all of a sudden he's surfing areas he shouldn't.
Matt Kane
"yeah mate, cool. i
Valery Forestier
That is an insanely awesome idea! What I just started doing was mislabeling and putting my "good tracks" into a different folder upon initial DL. I usually wouldn't have any qualms about it if you asked for a track I played, but if you take all my tracks and I either:
A) paid for a bunch of these to maintain quality tracks or
B) got it off of a promo, my research, or my following countless artists and getting that 5 minute release at 2am because I knew they were going to do it and not release the track for another month.

That time and effort (kinda like the old crate digging) is what I believe justifies me to do that.
If you want a track or two, then that's fine, if you rape my drive I will put malware on your computer. Lol.
Then again, if I know you, and I know you put in the type of work to find tracks like I do, then I have no problem swapping... Because chances are you have some crazy stuff I don't and I know you appreciate it too. I feel like a bit of a music snob.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
You can probably make a batch file to make it so you can't copy music from your harddrive to any usb devices plugged into your system. I'm not that great with batch files though, SMITTEN came up with a great one for disabling unneeded services, he might be a good place to start asking. Here is something I found on the interwebs..

http://www.ampercent.com/enable-disa...sb-drive/6264/
Valery Forestier
Lol, I still have 25GB I haven't gone through I either. I usually just pick and choose, I believe what put a sour taste in my mouth was when a mate I used to spin with presumably started copying my whole library. I felt kinda violated after that unless it was just like a thumb drive full of tunes.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
grabbed 10Gb off a mate once... I ended up sounding exactly like him for a while as half the time I didn't know what I was playing due to there being so much new stuff in my library, so I deleted everything but about 100 of my favorites. You will be much better off if you curate your own library with your own taste and generally you will remember tracks better when you can believe back to that late evening when you spent searching for tunes and found a gem.
Matt Kane

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy