How to setup my home studio the best way...

How to setup my home studio the best way...
Posted on: 12.11.2013 by Tory Houp
Well guys... and girl.

I have a small (not that ambitious) home studio setup, and I'm believeing about how set it up right. When I'm saying right I believe of the smoothest way without too many devices, cables, etc, and I hope you guys can help me out.

Basically this is the gear i need to hook up:
A pair of reference monitors
My laptop (running my DAW)
My DJ setup
A small 25 key midi keyboard (with both midi out and usb connection)

I want to it the right way, where I can use my gear without fiddling around with cables.

So yeah, I basically need a audio interface for my laptop, since I would like to have the ability to record from a guitar or mic. I guess I need some sort of mixer/monitor controller, since I would like to use my DJ setup with switching cables around. I also have a cable from my hi-fi speakers in the living room, so multiple outputs would be essential.

Since I'm using a second monitor for my laptop I also have a keyboard (you know.. QWERTY) plugged in. This means I'm sort of limited on my connectivity since I now only have 1 USB port left (Thanks Apple).

So.. How do I hook up the best setup with the least amount of devices and cables for a reasonable price. I don't have my own goldmine, and if I had i definitely get the Apogee Quartet.

Hope you guys have some great and creative inputs.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by brammer
It seems like the Mackie would be a good solution, but isen't quite big?

I need to check that Akai out, but will it work passive? I'm using the laptop when I DJ as well, so I wouldn't be hooked up to the soundcard.

Isen't weird that there aren't even a single simple monitor controller combined with soundcard out there?
It's powered, so can run passive, I have my mixer run into 1 and 2, outs on 1 and 2 into my KRK's I dont need the comp on to run it. It's a fantastic bit of kit, that I wish I'd bought sooner. Built like a tank too, and handy little feature of the VU's glowing red when you clip the signal.
Tory Houp
Well guys... and girl.

I have a small (not that ambitious) home studio setup, and I'm believeing about how set it up right. When I'm saying right I believe of the smoothest way without too many devices, cables, etc, and I hope you guys can help me out.

Basically this is the gear i need to hook up:
A pair of reference monitors
My laptop (running my DAW)
My DJ setup
A small 25 key midi keyboard (with both midi out and usb connection)

I want to it the right way, where I can use my gear without fiddling around with cables.

So yeah, I basically need a audio interface for my laptop, since I would like to have the ability to record from a guitar or mic. I guess I need some sort of mixer/monitor controller, since I would like to use my DJ setup with switching cables around. I also have a cable from my hi-fi speakers in the living room, so multiple outputs would be essential.

Since I'm using a second monitor for my laptop I also have a keyboard (you know.. QWERTY) plugged in. This means I'm sort of limited on my connectivity since I now only have 1 USB port left (Thanks Apple).

So.. How do I hook up the best setup with the least amount of devices and cables for a reasonable price. I don't have my own goldmine, and if I had i definitely get the Apogee Quartet.

Hope you guys have some great and creative inputs.
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by brammer

I need to check that Akai out, but will it work passive? I'm using the laptop when I DJ as well, so I wouldn't be hooked up to the soundcard.

Isen't weird that there aren't even a single simple monitor controller combined with soundcard out there?
It's powered, so can run passive, I have my mixer run into 1 and 2, outs on 1 and 2 into my KRK's I dont need the comp on to run it. It's a fantastic bit of kit, that I wish I'd bought sooner. Built like a tank too, and handy little feature of the VU's glowing red when you clip the signal.
Tory Houp

Lawana Mileto
I have the Akai EIE Pro, handy thing about this soundcard, is that it has a USB hub built in, three ports to be exact. Which means less cables running everywhere, it has 4 Ins and 4 outs, VU meters (love them) and sounds brilliant.

Get yourself some RCA to TRS adapters and your good to have your DJ stuff running into it, I have mine running in to one input. And two sets of outs means you can run a set of monitors, and run audio to anywhere else you want.
Libbie Orion
sounds like all you need is a sound board to bring it all together
and have the ability to include external instruments, audio inputs, and even extra outputs.
I use a Mackie DFX-6
had mine inline for years (1998) i believe

http://www.mackie.com/products/dfx6/

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy