Audio Engineering

Audio Engineering
Posted on: 13.11.2013 by Bertie Brandyburg
I am between weather or not I want to major in Audio Engineering in college or not. I love music and would love to have a job which involves music. I feel like if I had a job in the music industry, I would enjoy going to work everyday. Im just not sure what job, weather it is audio engineering or something else, that I want to have. My goal is to eventually work my way up to working with major recording artists(Drake to be more specific).
Is this possible at all and if it is, is it hard to achieve?
Everyday I listen to music, I don't believe I could survive without it. Every party I go to I always end up controlling the music and playing songs that people like
Bertie Brandyburg
I am between weather or not I want to major in Audio Engineering in college or not. I love music and would love to have a job which involves music. I feel like if I had a job in the music industry, I would enjoy going to work everyday. Im just not sure what job, weather it is audio engineering or something else, that I want to have. My goal is to eventually work my way up to working with major recording artists(Drake to be more specific).
Everyday I listen to music, I don't believe I could survive without it. Every party I go to I always end up controlling the music and playing songs that people like
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bertie Brandyburg
Bruno Tscherne
Originally Posted by VagabondZ
Don't get a degree in audio engineering expecting that graduating will get you a job. It will not. If you can apply all the stuff you learn and spend as much of your free time while taking classes doing projects with fellow students who are musicians/filmmakers/etc you will have a better chance. People looking to hire engineers will want examples, not a piece of paper. Also keep in mind it is never steady work and you will probably have to work on all kinds of music that you hate, commercials, and other crap to put food on your table. (Also you may end up hating music that you love after you've had to listen to the same song 100 times tweaking things) Being an audio engineer is not that much unlike being an artist in that making it big can make you incredibly wealthy but with such a low barrier to entry now you are competing with TONS of people and the majority of those attempting to break into this industry will fail.

edit - also to add to it, as an engineer you are NOT creating music - the last thing people who hire engineers want is their musical opinion - you're just supposed to shut up and make it sound good - don't get caught up in the illusion that an engineer is directly involved in the creative process, because they aren't
Well I was going to respond but you pretty much hit the nail on the head here.
Bertie Brandyburg
Valeri Holderness
I have a friend or two who are finished/finishing audio engineering degrees and I can definitely get behind what vagabond is saying. With that being said, my friends did make some pretty good music industry connects while at school. If its something you are 100% passionate about, then I wouldn't completely write it off, just ensure that you go in with the right expectations
Bruno Tscherne
Originally Posted by VagabondZ
Don't get a degree in audio engineering expecting that graduating will get you a job. It will not. If you can apply all the stuff you learn and spend as much of your free time while taking classes doing projects with fellow students who are musicians/filmmakers/etc you will have a better chance. People looking to hire engineers will want examples, not a piece of paper. Also keep in mind it is never steady work and you will probably have to work on all kinds of music that you hate, commercials, and other crap to put food on your table. (Also you may end up hating music that you love after you've had to listen to the same song 100 times tweaking things) Being an audio engineer is not that much unlike being an artist in that making it big can make you incredibly wealthy but with such a low barrier to entry now you are competing with TONS of people and the majority of those attempting to break into this industry will fail.

edit - also to add to it, as an engineer you are NOT creating music - the last thing people who hire engineers want is their musical opinion - you're just supposed to shut up and make it sound good - don't get caught up in the illusion that an engineer is directly involved in the creative process, because they aren't
Well I was going to respond but you pretty much hit the nail on the head here.
Letitia Sehlhorst

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy