Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Common VCI-100 Firmware QuestionsReply
Common VCI-100 Firmware Questions
Posted on: 20.08.2008 by
How do I update my firmware?

Please visit this post to learn how to update your firmware:
http://www.djranking s.com/2008/08/1...-100-firmware/

If you have problems please visit this thread:
http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...=7732#post7732

Which firmware version does your VCi-100 have?
Version 1.1
the firmware with the "ramp up problem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Y509VQVEQ

the jog wheel touch sensor turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when you release your finger.

Version 1.2
-VCI-100's with a green sticker on the back are firmware version 1.2
- this version solved the ramp up problem but still has several bugs including
* the fourth FX buttons send out the same midi message as the right headphone cue button.

Version 1.3
The firmware found in all VCi-100SE controllers that was designed by Ean Golden.

You can tell if you have 1.3 by following these steps.

1) connect your vci-100 to a computer but dont start traktor.

2) Click the button that is at the top right hand corner of the left jog wheel (its next to the filter knob for deck A).

3) If this button's light toggles on and off then you have 1.3 (the same button on the right deck will not toggle on and off.

Here are a few of the changes made in 1.3

general improvements:

* Eliminated the problem where the 4th FX buttons trigger other buttons (cue)
* added midi in functionality to the loop buttons
* added a note on to the jog wheel in scroll mode

performance:

* turned the filter knobs into double knobs (0-127 on the left and right side)
* added a "freeze function" to the bottom of each fader and top of the fx knobs. this sends out a 127 message only at the end of the movement
* added inverted messages to the faders (this allows an effect to be turned on by turning the fader down- not possible otherwise)
* added unique values to the FX buttons (these were used for direct FX selection- now added in Traktor Pro)
Adolf Hit
Ok, from what your describing I believe it is a case of you either haven't quite seated the upgrade kit properly, or less probably there is a soldering fault with the black connector.

You can check that by inspecting the 6 solder points along the top edge of the upgrade kit. Each pad should be well coated with solder and you should be able to see a point from the pin protruding from the solder on each pad.
Hannes Deburchgraeve
I performed the steps Ean outlined exactly as described here:
  • make sure you have the USB cable disconnected.
  • Attach the firmware cable to the mother board
  • connect the serial cable to the computer
  • connect the USB (for power)
  • now try turning on the vci-100 (it should be in boot mode)

Once I perform the last step, the jog wheels light up blue. When I touch them they turn red.

At this point, I tried to flash the unit using Renesas. This is the output:

Flash Development Toolkit and flash programming components
are provided without support

FDT API initialised: version 4, 02, 00, 008
Clock Frequency (External) = 24.0000MHz, Clock Mode = 0, CKM = 1, and CKP = N/A
Connecting to device 'H8/3052F' on 'COM1'
Configuration:
'BOOT Mode' connection - using emulated interface
Opening port 'COM1' ...
Loading Comms DLL
Loaded Comms DLL
Initiating BOOT SCI sequence
Attempting 9600
Attempting 4800
Attempting 2400
Attempting 1200
Error No 15024: Boot failed

My best guess is that I have a problem with the flash kit itself, the serial cable I'm using, or my com port. I'm going to do some more troubleshooting over the next few hours and I'll post my results soon.
Adolf Hit
Hi Mycole,

When you switch the VCI on with the firmware update cable connected do the jog wheels change color when you touch them?

I have tried to reproduce what you are describing and if I start the VCI with the update PCB in place, but without connecting the serial cable, then some lights come on but the unit is not functional.

When you attempt to flash the VCI what error message do you get?

Cheers,
Hannes Deburchgraeve
Originally Posted by eangolde
as long as you have connected the firmware upgrade piece to your circuit board then the vci should start up in boot mode.

make sure you have the USB cable disconnected.
Attach the firmware cable to the mother board
connect the serial cable to the computer
connect the USB (for power)
now try turning on the vci-100 (it should be in boot mode)
Uh oh. Then it's possible that the kit I got is defective. I'm 100% sure the thing is connected properly. I'll re-try it again toevening but as the video says, the kit fits on there perfectly, so I'm sure I got that part right.

Originally Posted by thevinn
The store says "The VCI-100 upgrade kits will be on sale in mid September" does that mean I have to wait? Or is the page outdated?
Sorry, miss-leading wording. The upgrade kits are on sale now and ship same day. The graphic overlays (for labeling) will be on sale in sept.

as long as you have connected the firmware upgrade piece to your circuit board then the vci should start up in boot mode.

make sure you have the USB cable disconnected.
Attach the firmware cable to the mother board
connect the serial cable to the computer
connect the USB (for power)
now try turning on the vci-100 (it should be in boot mode)
Hannes Deburchgraeve
So I tried a few more things since my last posting.

• I checked my BIOS to make sure that my COM1 was enabled. Everything looked good there.
  • I re-tried the flash process selecting COM1 in the Renesas software. This is when I got the flashing red jog wheel
  • I re-tried the flash process selecting COM3 in the Renesas software.
  • I re-tried the flash process selecting COM1 in the Renesas software. This time and everytime after when went through the steps and switched the power on all the lights came on indicating I was in user mode. Since that one time I haven't even gotten the strange flashing red jog wheel again.

Today at work I got a PS/2 to Serial cable so I'm going to try that toevening . Any tips would be appreciated!

Michael
Hannes Deburchgraeve
Actually... The right jog wheel flashes red. Don't know if that's good or bad. Should I try and flash it anyhow?
Hannes Deburchgraeve
Hi Ean,

I got my upgrade kit and followed the steps outlined in the video. However, when I power on the unit the LED lights turn on. Apparently, I can't make it go into Boot Mode. I double and triple checked to make sure the kit is sitting snug on the connector. The only other thing I can believe might possibly be wrong is that I have my COM Port set up incorrectly. ...Or perhaps my Serial Cable is bad. Would either of these things prevent my unit from entering boot mode?

Michael
Ricardo Rodrigues
The store says "The VCI-100 upgrade kits will be on sale in mid September" does that mean I have to wait? Or is the page outdated?

It is possible to switch between 1.3 and 1.2 (which is basically 1.1) Watch this video for instructions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9dpq6PlGQ

note: the unit will always default to 1.3 though and to start in 1.2 you will have to execute the hold command each time its turned off.
Jo V
If I install the 1.3 firmware, is it possible to switch between this new firware and the old 1.1 firmware?

Yep thats the right one, link updated. Thanks Fatlimey
robert chanda
Here's a direct link to, I believe, the correct tool:

http://eu.renesas.com//sensitivity.d...oadId=D1012168

Midifidler, is this the right thing?
Adolf Hit
http://kr.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?cnt=/...s&layerId=1050

Select the second item in the list (the first is just an upgrade), then you will have to register to get your login details.

Once you have these follow the link again login and download.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy