CallDom's Setup

CallDom's Setup
Posted on: 30.12.2011 by Nita Eviston
Hey Guys,

this is a little evolution of my setup, starting with back in 2008-2009 with a Numark Stealth Control and djio on Traktor.

shortly after finding djranking s i grabbed a nano pad so i could start messing around with cue points and some effect mapping

In April 2010 i bought myself a pretty rad birthday present in the form of 2x Numark V7s, and a very temporary Numark crappy 2-channel mixer.

I and many others were waiting for the Numark X7 to come out, and when it never did i jumped on a DDM4000 for pretty cheap.

The V7s are amazing, however were not practical to take to a club, where we would usually just be using a standard 1000s and 800 mixer combo, soon after i started playing clubs i got a MBP, and for when i wanted to take the laptop to the club i got Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and an X1, and sort of went back to the stealth control to get back into the Traktor workflow..

I believe it was really the Control Vinyls that came with TSP2 that got me believeing about turntables, using traktor at a club with cdjs was becoming to much of a hassle and i would usually just take cds, so i decided to sell the V7s to a mate and grabbed some Stanton Srt8-150s about a month or 2 ago.

i feel like the vinyl is a way more tactile way of controlling TSP2 than cds, even though i have only had the turntables a bit i am already finding that i prefer it even over just cds at the club.

I have been following the Setup threads pretty closely, and the whole Ikea idea seemed pretty damn awesome to me, even more so after the article came out. So for Christmas this year i got some Behringer Truth Monitors, and a trip up to Ikea to grab some bits and pieces. Yesterday Dad came over and we built this together. I am pretty in love with it, and am only taking a quick break to share this with you guys before jumping back on for the rest of the day. A few build pics and the final setup below...

Some Capita Legs, the size 16cm on the expedit

I went for the Vika Amon tabletop so i could go battle with the TTs, i wanted to knock about 150mm off however so it fit better, and we found that only the ends where table legs would screw in were solid (not good for attaching the shelf above the table!!)

Luckily, we were able to salvage the solid ends from the offcut piece and mount it in to take the angled capita legs to hold the shelf

So here is the finished product, while i was still hooking up all the cable. I put in the Dioder to finish it off, as i find it hard to mix without led lights blinking different colours at me.

Here are some nice shots of it, i do have another x1 to put in for some symmetry and sample deck control, but before i start playing with sample decks, i need to master TT mixing and such.

SETUP UPDATE!

Gots some new gear, doesnt all sit up there at once always, usually just the 2 cdjs and a turntable, or just 2 turntables depending what im mixing. Pretty sure im done for the moment, going to start on my production gear collection now.

belkin usb hub, not finding i need to plug it in to p

Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by Eliot Han
legit setup, digging the go big or go home theme!
Thanks man, am kind of going big at home, lol. I live right near all the clubs in my city, so my place is a popular pre-party, and its cool to have a setup other djs can come have a spin on before we all go out.
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by mistaright
awesome setup, and i too buy my clothes from karmaloop
haha, shipping is so damn expensive to Australia though, we usually have to wait for a bunch of promo codes before doing an order, and have to order about 1000bucks at a time. I have had heavy dj gear (my V7s) ship cheaper than a standard karmaloop order!
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by AndrewFuse
fantastic setup

How are those Behringer speakers?
For the price, they are pretty awesome. great bass and a very warm sound. I have a sub set up, but with the 8", i really get all the bass i need from the behringers. For active monitors, they dont have many controls on the back, which is why ill only really use them for djing, and grab some other speakers for production.
Shonda Soulier
Evolution threads are my favorite Show Your Setup threads. So nice, man.

I also love how you eventually switched your TTs to battle mode. it's the only way!
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by Eliot Han
Thanks man, am kind of going big at home, lol. I live right near all the clubs in my city, so my place is a popular pre-party, and its cool to have a setup other djs can come have a spin on before we all go out.
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by mistaright
haha, shipping is so damn expensive to Australia though, we usually have to wait for a bunch of promo codes before doing an order, and have to order about 1000bucks at a time. I have had heavy dj gear (my V7s) ship cheaper than a standard karmaloop order!
Hiram Messmer
Ciara Cuttill
Lynell Piechocinski
Sounds good, thx And price is realy good
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by AndrewFuse
fantastic setup

For the price, they are pretty awesome. great bass and a very warm sound. I have a sub set up, but with the 8", i really get all the bass i need from the behringers. For active monitors, they dont have many controls on the back, which is why ill only really use them for djing, and grab some other speakers for production.
Lynell Piechocinski
fantastic setup

Nevada Edgette
I really need to get a Vika Amon. After looking at your setup, I want to have my CDJ's and TT's next to each other. Great setup man!
Nita Eviston
bump, updated gear photos uploaded!
Claudie Storlien
Wow, Great setup. Love the desk. Cant wait to start working on my own desk. been hunting through thrift stores to find the right inspiration.
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by Hiro
love this! ordering parts as we speak! went to milton keynes today to check out the goods in person... and after coming home and measuring one more time... im ready ;]

one Q. though? when you cut down your table top, does this mean one end is left unfinished with the honeycomb centre on show =/ im gonna have to do some cutting down myself to get the most out of a small room, but i just wondered how you did it tbh! great setup dude, il be sure to wack my own build log on here =D
Hey man, yea i did leave the end as is with the centre on show, because its just going to be up against the wall anyways, and also because the Lack shelf also has an open side with stuff to mount it on a wall, so it didnt matter much to me.
Madge Humrich
love this! ordering parts as we speak! went to milton keynes today to check out the goods in person... and after coming home and measuring one more time... im ready ;]

one Q. though? when you cut down your table top, does this mean one end is left unfinished with the honeycomb centre on show =/ im gonna have to do some cutting down myself to get the most out of a small room, but i just wondered how you did it tbh! great setup dude, il be sure to wack my own build log on here =D
Norah Legowski
@Call Dom

Thanks!! i'm believeing i may end up with something very similar to that!
Carlee Pickard
Originally Posted by YoshiExcel
^^ thanks for the info, ill be looking into that for my next addition to my setup. still debating if i should get Maschine or Turntables to go with my setup...
Thing with Maschine is that most people who bought it cause they thought they could start producing with it right off the bat without any problems seem to have sold it a little while after buying it. The hardest part about Maschine is integrating it and using it along with your current production gear and incorporating it properly within your work flow. If you don't have the time or patience to figure out how to work it in with the way you do things and take time to learn its software I don't believe it's worth your time. I feel like NI needs to clean up the software when you use it as a VST inside of your DAW. It just doesn't work as well as it does when you're running Maschine software by itself. If they fix that it'd be much easier to use and work with.

Thats just my two cents.
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by juan2
Call Dom, what's the height of your desk, if you don't mind sharing?
Yo, dont mind sharing at all mate, the desk sits at 980mm (38 1/2")

i found my plans as well and here is the height breakdown from the ground up:

expedit: 790mm (31")

capita legs: 160mm (6 1/4")

Vika amon tabletop: 30mm (3 1/4")

capita bracket: 170mm (6 3/4")

lack shelf: 50mm (2")
Norah Legowski
Call Dom, what's the height of your desk, if you don't mind sharing?
Norah Legowski
Call Dom that desk is perfect!! If you don't mind my asking, what is the height?
Lucrecia Diloreto
^^ thanks for the info, ill be looking into that for my next addition to my setup. still debating if i should get Maschine or Turntables to go with my setup...
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by Dj Havik
Hey great setup I was looking at getting the same mixer, is the ddm 400 to difficult to use it looks Like theres a lot there would u recommend it?
Its really quite simple, there are a shedload of leds and buttons, but it doesnt take long to get used to it. As an intermediate level mixer i would highly recommend it, it is just so much cheaper than other similar mixers.

Originally Posted by Will_D
Nice setup only thing you need to add now is an Innofader
I have installed the Infinium X1 fader which is treating me just as good as an innofader

Originally Posted by YoshiExcel
awesome setup, i need to look into building me a dj table/stand as well so i got some good ideas from this. How did ya like those stanton turntables? im looking into maybe getting some turntables, but i dont wanna spend too much so technics are out of the question, besides its just for bedroom DJing and small parties.
I love them.. im only about 3 months into turntable djing, so i only know so much, but have played with techs, these are way quicker to start (im pretty sure the srt8-150s have like twice the torque of 1200s), all the buttons feel cool, the extra start stop button for battle position is helpful, and they are straight forward enough to always know whats happening..
Lucrecia Diloreto
awesome setup, i need to look into building me a dj table/stand as well so i got some good ideas from this. How did ya like those stanton turntables? im looking into maybe getting some turntables, but i dont wanna spend too much so technics are out of the question, besides its just for bedroom DJing and small parties.
Marybelle Ver
Nice setup only thing you need to add now is an Innofader
Georgiann Bayze
Hey great setup I was looking at getting the same mixer, is the ddm 400 to difficult to use it looks Like theres a lot there would u recommend it?
Osvaldo Newhall
Nice set up. I really like your table.
Nita Eviston
What r the speakers that u r using?
Behringer Truth 8"

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B1031A.aspx

Im going to need some monitor stands eventually because these things take up too much room on the table, no room for other midi controllers, TTs in normal position

There is also a big 15" 500w sub on the shelf to the left of the stand, but it really is just overkill, the truths have pretty amazing bass levels
Georgiann Bayze
What r the speakers that u r using?
Nita Eviston
Originally Posted by EliasBille
Just love the desk and LED's!
Thanks heaps, it was extremely satisfying to build, LED's make everything better!
Nita Eviston
Wow why did u buy the table top if u were just gonna cut it to the same size as the bookshelf
it is actually much wider than the expedit, i have only taken off about 5", it just looks flush with the expedit as the unit is sitting out from the wall to allow cables etc..

you also get a big storage space under the tabletop, i quite often have cdjs here and it makes it easy to swap out the TTs
Nita Eviston
@ajimadhay - hey im in Australia and dont really work in inches, but here is the one i bought, it is the bigger one, and i was quite confused about that as well..

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90071168/

This one has about 1cm of overhang on the expedit, very hardly noticeable, especailly because my monitors overlap the table as well
Valda Wallisch
Just love the desk and LED's!
Georgiann Bayze
Wow why did u buy the table top if u were just gonna cut it to the same size as the bookshelf
Norah Legowski
Originally Posted by Call_Dom

@Abstrakt - They are Clear Traktor Control Vinyls on the Obey Sicmats, here are links to where i bought them, however im sure you could find them on ebay or other online dj stores.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SIC-OBEY

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TRKSCVCL

obey slipmats here as well...
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equip...204/54083.html
Rachele Blazquez
What is the size of your vika amon?.. The height of one expedit when on its side is 58 5/8".
I was looking on the ikea site and they had one with a width of 59" for $35 and one with 47 1/4" for $20 (which seems a little too small to fit the expedit.) So is it the $35 vika amon? Just wondering because I saw many links leading to the $20 vika amon and I'm confused.
Nita Eviston
@A-Med - The DDM4000 has treated me really well. It sounds awesome and has lasted a bit of bashing in the couple of years that i have had it. If you can find a deal like i did, dont hesitate, I bought it for $250 and put in an X1 infinium fader for about $80, that new fader is a MUST!

@Abstrakt - They are Clear Traktor Control Vinyls on the Obey Sicmats, here are links to where i bought them, however im sure you could find them on ebay or other online dj stores.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SIC-OBEY

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TRKSCVCL
Larue Eisentrager
the obey vinyl looks sooo sexy. any link to where you got it?
Juliann Hinzo
just a question, would you recommend the DDM4000? Im about to buy one but im not very sure...
Nita Eviston
@Filthsky - Yea, lights are from ikea and called DIODER... they were like $70 AUD but i believe worth it.. they had other ones that didn't change colour for cheaper as well..

@Capitan - I know man, definitely one of my faves, practically did a backflip when i found the Soundtrack

@Hersly - I was going to recess the bottom of the vika amon, but because it is not solid all the way through it would not have worked.. it just sits on there, the rubber feet of the legs hold it in place, and the weight of the gear makes it so you cant move the table at all, ive rocked it backwards and forwards and it doesn't move so im pretty happy

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy