digitalVinyl's DJ Table Build Thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: digitalVinyl's DJ Table Build ThreadReply
digitalVinyl's DJ Table Build Thread
Posted on: 09.07.2012 by Lachelle Mcmanamon
I started planning this table....back in November so that was around 8 months ago...that's depressing. Anyways, with me working out of town for a good portion of that, and a 1 month long holiday, it seemed that it was taking forever to build this damn thing.

I started out with the idea that I'll build one of those IKEA hack tables and the project grew and grew from there to what it is now. It's probably 90% complete now, but I've got to round up the progress pictures I've taken as well as upload some videos of the thing in action onto YouTube (I'll try to do that toevening ). I've also got to finish up the rest of the table for a party I'm throwing next weekend which has been the main motivation to finally finish this guy off. Anyways I'll get some pics going here.
Meaghan Jelsma
Niceeeeeee

Originally Posted by digitalvinyl
Alright so here is the first test fit up of the grill on with no glass, it was pretty cool to see it together for the first time since starting the project. It's quite cool to go from modelling something in 3D (which I have done a decent amount of) to actually building it.

Pic of the test fit:

And finally the latest video I've taken, still need to tweak the sensitivity on the channels for a bit. All I have left now is to get a longer cable to connect the controller to the main unit, mount the plexi, and put the top on. I'll take some well lit pics of the unit when it's all assembled. I'm toying with the idea of getting some LED's under the counter and shining out through the acrylic. I"ll be testing that toevening to see how it works.

Anyways, here is the stand running in it's latest state, enjoy (it's in HD if you want to see it in a better resolution)!
Demetria Resko
That is awesome man! Great DIY! I wish I could do that myself :O
Valeri Millstein
SWEET! DIY is always great to see!
Leontine Jelden
That is sweet as, really nice work!

Want to build myself one now, perhaps have the lights running vertical and work as an eq visualizer

How much was it altogether and how heavy is it??

Thanks!

-Specky
Hye Sportel
Thats a dapper piece of furniture mate.

Is it intended for use in your house only, or do you intend to cart it around to gigs?
Karolis Petrauskas
Great job and awesome diy skills!

What was the total price of the project? I believe 1 expedit and MDF for the interior is the way to go with the project for cost effectiveness.
Joy Lechler
Mad props.
Robert Danno
Great project.. I've been following the progress for a while and love the work you are going to do with the lighting.
Wiley Pollastrini
this is so awesome. subscribed!
Jena Shutz
AMAZING ! super rad project !
Jenise Kryszak
This build is godlike for a house parties and such. Mad props to you man.
Dara Jawor
i love the brightness of the lights would you mind sharing where you picked these lights up ?

Great DIY BTW
Meaghan Jelsma
Niceeeeeee

Originally Posted by digitalvinyl
Alright so here is the first test fit up of the grill on with no glass, it was pretty cool to see it together for the first time since starting the project. It's quite cool to go from modelling something in 3D (which I have done a decent amount of) to actually building it.

Pic of the test fit:

And finally the latest video I've taken, still need to tweak the sensitivity on the channels for a bit. All I have left now is to get a longer cable to connect the controller to the main unit, mount the plexi, and put the top on. I'll take some well lit pics of the unit when it's all assembled. I'm toying with the idea of getting some LED's under the counter and shining out through the acrylic. I"ll be testing that toevening to see how it works.

Anyways, here is the stand running in it's latest state, enjoy (it's in HD if you want to see it in a better resolution)!
Ami Lele
That looks ridiculous, In a good way.....WHAT IS IT COSTING YOU
Noelia Salesman
Amazing :d
Jenna Skeem
love the table, and more importantly your rug, love the painint got a 6ft print hanging up in my front room :P
Loyd Cilek
Simply awesome!
Geri Jarra
Originally Posted by Patch
Very, VERY cool. I like it a lot. Would be unbelievably cool if you have the light coloured like, and reacting like, a VU meter...
+2

Looks awesome, the build in the video was epic with the lights
Lang Abriel
Thats really cool, hope you don't mind but I'm probably gonna steel this idea except no ikea desk as the base model, seems easier just to build it all from scratch.

And im gonna do twice as many columns and then have the columns like up different heights/colors like like a frequency spectrum
Wallace Lawmaster
impressive, most impressive.

Only way it could get better is doing one with a flat screen on the front for cool visuals.

Very, VERY cool. I like it a lot. Would be unbelievably cool if you have the light coloured like, and reacting like, a VU meter...
+1
Rena Estabrook
Very impressive!
Brunilda Kora
Cool.
Lachelle Mcmanamon
That is certainly possible by changing the brain of what is running the lights to a more computerized solution (which I've talked to the manufacturer about).
Brunilda Kora
Lachelle Mcmanamon
Originally Posted by synthet1c
that looks great!

do the lights react to certain frequencies?
Yep that's correct. I need to tweak the frequencies that trigger each light bank a bit to get the right effect I'm looking for. This was a rough adjustment but it came out pretty good, especially just before the kick comes back in and Porter varies between two different sounds in the build-up at the end of the video.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
that looks great!

do the lights react to certain frequencies?
Lachelle Mcmanamon

Pic of the test fit:

Lachelle Mcmanamon
It was driving me crazy having to move towels under the cabinet whenever I moved it around so the logical idea would be to mount the legs to the bottom of the cabinet. I picked 3 sets of these legs up from IKEA, I only used the 3rd set to create a continuous lip across the front of the unit (I believe it would look odd without). I'm 90% sure I'll be changing these legs out after my party but they will do for now. They are a bit too tall at 6" (I'm not a tall guy) and they don't totally suit the look of the unit. I was believeing something a bit heavier looking.

Legs mounted:

Oh the legs and plywood in the background are for the beer pong table I ended up building so don't mind any of that mess back there.

Remember how I was talking about all the tedious work? Well these panels had to be some of the worst offenders! Once they were all blinged out and had the mounting brackets, I installed LED mounting brackets on each one. Here is the set of them looking like a solar array or something. My garage ends up looking like a NASA experiment gone wrong shortly...

After mounting all the backing boards with a friend's help, we ran the lighting through each one which was a bit of a trial and error approach until we finally got the hang of how much to run through, where the slack goes, etc.

My version of sputnik
Lachelle Mcmanamon
Okay enough car talk, this is a DJTT community after all!

Okay so like I said earlier, I didn't like the black control panel cover and decided I would make one out of white acrylic. This project has costed significantly more than I had initially budgeted and to my surprise the guys at the plastic shop cut this piece for me and charged me nothing at all for it...certainly a nice surprise. I got to work cutting out the slider holes, as well as for the switch which turns all the lights on full blast (no sound input mode), and the switch that will turn the power to the controller on and off.

Very small cutting. I may remake this panel since I'm not super happy with the accuracy of the cuts. I needed extremely small tools for this and could do a better job a second time around:

It was a plastic cutting sort of day and I moved on to drilling the holes to mount the acrylic to the base. I did a bunch of reading online about how to drill through acrylic; I was terrified to say the least. It took at least a few weeks to have this piece fabricated and the thought of it cracking stressed me out. I just stepped up to the correct size and took my time, allowing the bits to cool through the course of drilling. The sounds this thing was making sounded like....I dunno, like those flying creatures in Lord of the Rings? It was brutal, and made me believe while cutting that it was going to snap at any moment. Anyways, both myself and the acrylic made it out alive and the 5 holes for mounting the laptop stand to the base were completed:
Lachelle Mcmanamon
Originally Posted by DJ SB
I told myself a few years ago that my next car will be an E46 M3, doing my best to make that happen!
It really is a great car
Halley Wurzer
I told myself a few years ago that my next car will be an E46 M3, doing my best to make that happen!
Lachelle Mcmanamon
6 speed manual, correct
Halley Wurzer
Beautiful car. I hope its manual, not SMG?
Lachelle Mcmanamon
Hahaha okay okay, I can't help but talk about my car DJ table break!

Good eye on the HRE's! They are indeed HRE C20's...probably the lightest rims I"ve ever held, I believe they weigh 18 or 19lbs...crazy light for 19x9/10.5. The car is 2001, wow..so old! but only around 40,000 miles on her. I put on a new lip vs the one in the picture below, as well as a CSL carbon fibre trunk; I painted the trunk and left only a little strip of CF...not so showy as all CF which looks a bit too flashy for me. She also has a stage 1 supercharger at around 5psi, plenty of go-fast while listening to my mixes :P

Anyways here is a better picture of her from a while back:
Halley Wurzer
E46 m3!!
Random X
Originally Posted by Vandalus

Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by Emery
Nice uhh M3?!
Yeah.... I am pretty sure it's sitting on HRE's too. DigitalVinyl, you have impeccable taste sir! Great build
Geri Jarra
Nice uhh M3?!
Brunilda Kora
That looks like a piece of furniture that will last a lifetime.

Perfect reason to keep decks in the living room!!!
Lachelle Mcmanamon
Another step that I was decently nervous about was the application of the veneer to the shelving unit. I've never applied veneer before and did a ton of research to find out how to do this properly. All in all it went well once I tackled it.

Pressing the veneer with some old weights:

Here is the veneer with...I believe this is 2 coats:

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy