Subculture's Setup

Subculture's Setup
Posted on: 03.03.2013 by Fannie Ohayre
I've been meaning to post here for awhile, anyway here's a few pictures that I've managed to find of various set ups I've used over the years.

This was taken early 1983. First DJ set/ A pair of 1200s (what else was there), a Radio Shack mixer (spent all of my savings on the 1200s) and a telephone handset that a friend converted into a DJ headset.
As far as everything else, SAE pre-amp, Parametric EQ (a bitch to adjust I got rid of it shortly after this picture was taken) and 500 watt amp. TEAC ( I believe) cassette deck, DBX audi switcher and a Bose 901 EQ. The 901 speakers are just outside of the picture.

The above served me well until I sold everything ( I know, I know) in 1993.

I took a break from DJing for awhile.
Fast forward a few years and back into DJing.

A pair of Denon DN-S3500s and a Denon DN-X500.
Before the 3500s I had a pair of DN-S1000s, but I can't find any pictures of those.

When the Denon DN-HS5500s became available, I bought a pait and thought I was in heaven. No more burnng CDs! My DJ set was complete. What more could I ask for?

Then the Denon DN-X1600 was released and of course I had to get one of those! I actually wanted the DN-X1700, but I just didn't have the money for one.

After a club event where I played with another DJ who was a Traktor Pro user, i decided to take the plunge and go all digital.

I sold my 5500s and used the money to buy a pair of Kontrol X1s and Traktor Pro.

When the Denon MC-6000 became available, I bought one and thought, "nice"
Unfortunately it wasn't long before I outgrew it.

My current set up. 13" MBP (and I once swore I'd never use a MAC) with a Vestax VCI-400 EGE, AIAIAI TMA-1s and Traktor Pro 2.1.3.
This will be my last DJ rig.
Until something better comes along.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by iibansukii
Damn! Nice set man! How much did that all cost in total?
Good question, a bit hard to figure as I sold older components to offset the cost of newer ones.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by FEEDIT
Sorry, I meant, did you like the denon dn-x500?
Yes i did, but the DN-X1600 kicks it in the backside!
Rosario Whitington
Originally Posted by dj subculture
Sylvie Lorincz
As I mentioned earlier, for me, the VCI-400 is a better Traktor controller. More buttons. better integration with Traktor.
And for me, that's the main thing.
I feel DJs, especially new ones, tend to put the cart before the horse. That is to say, they always ask, what the best controller and then pick the software. One should pick the software first. Then find the best controller.
Thanks for the feedback.
Fannie Ohayre
how did you find the denon dn-x500?
Purchased from Pro Sound and Stage Lighting.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by Trailerman
Thansk for the pics and background - really interesting.

I'm currently weighing up a new Traktor controller, and have it narrowed down to the 4Trak, MC-6000 and VCI-4000. Was just wondering if you can perhaps elaborate a little on why you feel the Vestax is so superior to the Denon?
As I mentioned earlier, for me, the VCI-400 is a better Traktor controller. More buttons. better integration with Traktor.
I feel DJs, especially new ones, tend to put the cart before the horse. That is to say, they always ask, what the best controller and then pick the software. One should pick the software first. Then find the best controller.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
What makes you like the Vestax VCI-400 more than the Denon MC6000? I always thought that the Denon's had pretty much the same capabilities as all the other controllers except for being a tiny size and lack of timecode.
Originally Posted by makar1
The 400 also has channel filter knobs, more buttons, and better jogs.
That and the larger layout. If you have large hands, the 6000 can be a bit difficult to use. One of the problems is that I would often inadvertently bump the jog wheels by accident.
Also the jog wheels on the VCI 400 are adjustable for tension as well as touch sensitivity.

For me, the VCI 400 is a better TRAKTOR controller. The MC-6000 is probably better suited for VDJ.
I suspect I'll get flamed for saying that.
Fannie Ohayre
I've been meaning to post here for awhile, anyway here's a few pictures that I've managed to find of various set ups I've used over the years.

This was taken early 1983. First DJ set/ A pair of 1200s (what else was there), a Radio Shack mixer (spent all of my savings on the 1200s) and a telephone handset that a friend converted into a DJ headset.
As far as everything else, SAE pre-amp, Parametric EQ (a bitch to adjust I got rid of it shortly after this picture was taken) and 500 watt amp. TEAC ( I believe) cassette deck, DBX audi switcher and a Bose 901 EQ. The 901 speakers are just outside of the picture.

The above served me well until I sold everything ( I know, I know) in 1993.

I took a break from DJing for awhile.
Fast forward a few years and back into DJing.

A pair of Denon DN-S3500s and a Denon DN-X500.
Before the 3500s I had a pair of DN-S1000s, but I can't find any pictures of those.

When the Denon DN-HS5500s became available, I bought a pait and thought I was in heaven. No more burnng CDs! My DJ set was complete. What more could I ask for?

Then the Denon DN-X1600 was released and of course I had to get one of those! I actually wanted the DN-X1700, but I just didn't have the money for one.

After a club event where I played with another DJ who was a Traktor Pro user, i decided to take the plunge and go all digital.

I sold my 5500s and used the money to buy a pair of Kontrol X1s and Traktor Pro.

When the Denon MC-6000 became available, I bought one and thought, "nice"
Unfortunately it wasn't long before I outgrew it.

My current set up. 13" MBP (and I once swore I'd never use a MAC) with a Vestax VCI-400 EGE, AIAIAI TMA-1s and Traktor Pro 2.1.3.
This will be my last DJ rig.
Until something better comes along.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by iibansukii
Good question, a bit hard to figure as I sold older components to offset the cost of newer ones.
Earleen Boda
Fannie Ohayre
Yes i did, but the DN-X1600 kicks it in the backside!
Rosario Whitington
Tommy Thiner
Super jelly I want a VCI-400 EGE soooooooo bad!
Sylvie Lorincz
Thanks for the feedback.
Fannie Ohayre
Purchased from Pro Sound and Stage Lighting.
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by Trailerman

I'm currently weighing up a new Traktor controller, and have it narrowed down to the 4Trak, MC-6000 and VCI-4000. Was just wondering if you can perhaps elaborate a little on why you feel the Vestax is so superior to the Denon?
Rosario Whitington
Sylvie Lorincz

I'm currently weighing up a new Traktor controller, and have it narrowed down to the 4Trak, MC-6000 and VCI-4000. Was just wondering if you can perhaps elaborate a little on why you feel the Vestax is so superior to the Denon? I can see the benefits of say the Numark 4Trak over the MC-6000, because of it's size and control layout, but the VC is practically the same size as the Denon, and arguably not quite as well built (that's only my interpretation from comments and reviews - I haven't held the VC myself).

Are their specific features or ways the VC does stuff that give it an advantage, or is it perhaps something specific to the way you mix ...?

Thanks for any help.

Jules
Fannie Ohayre
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
What makes you like the Vestax VCI-400 more than the Denon MC6000? I always thought that the Denon's had pretty much the same capabilities as all the other controllers except for being a tiny size and lack of timecode.
Originally Posted by makar1
That and the larger layout. If you have large hands, the 6000 can be a bit difficult to use. One of the problems is that I would often inadvertently bump the jog wheels by accident.
Also the jog wheels on the VCI 400 are adjustable for tension as well as touch sensitivity.

For me, the VCI 400 is a better TRAKTOR controller. The MC-6000 is probably better suited for VDJ.
I suspect I'll get flamed for saying that.
Alphonso Deitchman
Gaynell Rydberg

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy