DjElton's setup

DjElton's setup
Posted on: 21.01.2013 by Venetta Viescas
Hello from Estonia, I have been lurking around so much here, so I decided to make a topic here as well. + keep in mind that since there exists already a few Dj Elton's I'm still in search of a more presentable name, so suggestions are welcomed

I first had interest in maybe 2004 when I downloaded a cracked version of VirtualDj and started messing about.

Then everything got quiet for maybe a year or two and I bought my first controller, as it was the cheapest way to go, Hercules MK2, with a built-in soundcard:

As I was a young boy and didn't have any consistency, as I didn't see any chance to play anywhere, again, my motivation and different hobbies got the best of me and I stopped until 2010, when I got interested again and then got myself Novation Nocturn, for use with Ableton and Traktor:

By then my family had already moved to a private house, so I got finally to customize my room a little:

Then one day I got myself even more gadgets, Akai LPK-25 & Korg NanoKontrol, I was a nerd for mapping so by then almost every button did like a 4 different things with different shift keys

In the summer I even got to practice outdoors, which was fun, as my little Civic pumped out more Wattage than my home speakers and I was basically performing to the whole neighbourhood + some onus pics of my car:

Bonus1 - Yes, that's a pic from 2012 Tomorrowland parking lot

Bonus2 - A little DIY.

Bonus3 - Winter LowLifer setup

Then I moved to the other end of Estonia and had to sell my almost whole setup with a few months difference(I sold everything besides Korg NanoKontrol). But I managed to take a pic of my Hercules, which I had customized with carbon vinyl by that time:

After selling almost all of my gear I started to practice at my local University, which had it's own gear(2 sets: 2x800CDJ's + DJM400 and another set with 2x2000CDJ's + DJM900) and even started playing at some of my Universities parties:

It was obvious, that I had managed to brake out of the ordinary bedroom-DJ routine, so I decided I needed some better headphones, I chose AiAiAi TMA-1 Beatport editions, since I wanted to buy once, not to buy many cheap ones:P

At the start of this year I decided that I want to practice at home more and to play at some house parties, so I bought a cheap mixer(wanted a 4-channel one, but this one was closer by and cheaper and has only the crossfader bleeding, that I don't use), which turned out to be Numark DM3000X. Eventually I want some 4 channel mixer with no/minimal effects, ATM I'm heading towards Allen & Heath Xone:42, due to It's great filters and sound quality (+ it looks Awesome).

I also bought myself a really underrated controller, Reloop Contour Interface Edition, which has a 4-channel really good soundcard and doesn't look like a Toy in the venues DJ booth, unlike most of the others do. It has really good features, also a excellent mapping, the jog-wheel is great for beatmatching and since I don't scratch the size doesn't bring me down. It also has so many ways to control effects and a lot of other possibilities.
So again, I don't see why everyone is not already using this 2010 product, that is Traktor Certified, is solid and looks cool due to it's metal design. I haven't had the chance to make a stand for it to sit flush with the mixer, but I'll get to that.

2 says later, after receiving it, I could already test it live, with only an hour home-playing time(I had exams, so no practice for me ), so it was quite an experience. A bad shot of it in a booth, next to CDJ1000 MK3:

And my final update with a pic says the message "DON'T LEAVE YOUR SETUP UNATTENDED AT AN HOUSE PARTY":

I'm getting it fixed ASAP
Also about the final setup pic, since I live at an dorm room, I cant get myself a separate setup desk, but I'm currently apartment-hunting, so I'm hoping to get a decent IKEA table and some decent speakers. Also planning to get another Reloop Contour to my setup, so I wouldn't have to switch between channels.

Wow, that was a long post, but that was a solid post as well and I hope nobody hates me much
Venetta Viescas
Originally Posted by trollis
Almoust same as my setup, i only got a djm 400 mixer
Nice, the place I usually play, I use a DJM400 also

My goal is to get a decent 4-channel mixer, but that's in the far-future, atm I use the 3rd channel of my Numark for decks C and D(both run into 3rd channel)

Thanks to everyone from the nice opinions, it's good to see, that people are likeing this undiscovered controller
Venetta Viescas
Hello from Estonia, I have been lurking around so much here, so I decided to make a topic here as well. + keep in mind that since there exists already a few Dj Elton's I'm still in search of a more presentable name, so suggestions are welcomed

I first had interest in maybe 2004 when I downloaded a cracked version of VirtualDj and started messing about.

Then everything got quiet for maybe a year or two and I bought my first controller, as it was the cheapest way to go, Hercules MK2, with a built-in soundcard:

As I was a young boy and didn't have any consistency, as I didn't see any chance to play anywhere, again, my motivation and different hobbies got the best of me and I stopped until 2010, when I got interested again and then got myself Novation Nocturn, for use with Ableton and Traktor:

By then my family had already moved to a private house, so I got finally to customize my room a little:

Then one day I got myself even more gadgets, Akai LPK-25 & Korg NanoKontrol, I was a nerd for mapping so by then almost every button did like a 4 different things with different shift keys

In the summer I even got to practice outdoors, which was fun, as my little Civic pumped out more Wattage than my home speakers and I was basically performing to the whole neighbourhood + some onus pics of my car:

Bonus1 - Yes, that's a pic from 2012 Tomorrowland parking lot

Bonus2 - A little DIY.

Bonus3 - Winter LowLifer setup

Then I moved to the other end of Estonia and had to sell my almost whole setup with a few months difference(I sold everything besides Korg NanoKontrol). But I managed to take a pic of my Hercules, which I had customized with carbon vinyl by that time:

After selling almost all of my gear I started to practice at my local University, which had it's own gear(2 sets: 2x800CDJ's + DJM400 and another set with 2x2000CDJ's + DJM900) and even started playing at some of my Universities parties:

It was obvious, that I had managed to brake out of the ordinary bedroom-DJ routine, so I decided I needed some better headphones, I chose AiAiAi TMA-1 Beatport editions, since I wanted to buy once, not to buy many cheap ones:P

At the start of this year I decided that I want to practice at home more and to play at some house parties, so I bought a cheap mixer(wanted a 4-channel one, but this one was closer by and cheaper and has only the crossfader bleeding, that I don't use), which turned out to be Numark DM3000X. Eventually I want some 4 channel mixer with no/minimal effects, ATM I'm heading towards Allen & Heath Xone:42, due to It's great filters and sound quality (+ it looks Awesome).

I also bought myself a really underrated controller, Reloop Contour Interface Edition, which has a 4-channel really good soundcard and doesn't look like a Toy in the venues DJ booth, unlike most of the others do. It has really good features, also a excellent mapping, the jog-wheel is great for beatmatching and since I don't scratch the size doesn't bring me down. It also has so many ways to control effects and a lot of other possibilities.
So again, I don't see why everyone is not already using this 2010 product, that is Traktor Certified, is solid and looks cool due to it's metal design. I haven't had the chance to make a stand for it to sit flush with the mixer, but I'll get to that.

2 says later, after receiving it, I could already test it live, with only an hour home-playing time(I had exams, so no practice for me ), so it was quite an experience. A bad shot of it in a booth, next to CDJ1000 MK3:

And my final update with a pic says the message "DON'T LEAVE YOUR SETUP UNATTENDED AT AN HOUSE PARTY":

I'm getting it fixed ASAP
Also about the final setup pic, since I live at an dorm room, I cant get myself a separate setup desk, but I'm currently apartment-hunting, so I'm hoping to get a decent IKEA table and some decent speakers. Also planning to get another Reloop Contour to my setup, so I wouldn't have to switch between channels.

Wow, that was a long post, but that was a solid post as well and I hope nobody hates me much
Venetta Viescas
I use the original mapping(slightly modded), which is pretty good, so I use Shift+Endless encoder for fine tempo adjustments and when I hold down the encoder and then turn it, I can use it for bigger tempo changes(scroll less). It takes some time to get used to, but I really don't see a problem in this.
+ If you want, my initial idea was to make 2x diy controllers which are only tempo faders and they sit beside the contours
Ellis Plischke
Just out of curiosity, what do you use for tempo adjustments on the reloop contours, as they dont have pitch faders.
Thats honestly the only thing holding me back from buying one at this point.
Venetta Viescas
I took control of my gab packing, so this is a part of my backup wire set, which goes with me to my every gig and has already proven itself useful(missing another USB cable, USB extender and 6.3mm to rca adapter & CD's with a different genre mixes). Basically I have almost everything I could need, if something on the gig is missing etc. (at least I believe, so you can give me suggestions)

And I also got a decent laptop stand today, so I don't have to borrow one anymore:

All I need now is a decent SSD for my laptop(because the HDD in there is the only thing limiting the speed) and I'm all set for a long time(or until I see some cheapish turntables and take them home, because I want to start practicing with vinyl at home) :P

(Also believeing about my DJ name, atm I have used Dj Elton, but it doesn't feel nice to me, so I'm believeing about ditching the "Dj" in front and going with maybe something like EltonL, or Elton Street or something like that, but can't yet find something that sounds perfect to me)
Venetta Viescas
Originally Posted by trollis
Nice, the place I usually play, I use a DJM400 also

My goal is to get a decent 4-channel mixer, but that's in the far-future, atm I use the 3rd channel of my Numark for decks C and D(both run into 3rd channel)

Thanks to everyone from the nice opinions, it's good to see, that people are likeing this undiscovered controller
Ernestine Nicar
Kandi Odom
Really nice setup and story didnt knew about this Reloop contour look real nice and usefull!!!!
Craig Kosloff
nice setup bro!
Merlyn Birchfield
Great story and visual history. Cheers.
Venetta Viescas
Hey there again, it's been a long time

(ps. sorry for the bad pics, mobile camera sucks)

Basically, what has been going on, is that I fixed my computer screen(this time with a matte screen, for better viewing at the club)
&
then I broke my AiAiAi's

But thankfully AiAiAi has really good terms and agreed to give me new ones(this is already my 3rd pair and I'm still true to them):

Then after a while, after pausing the wrong song one to many times(forgot to change channels on a single controller), I decided to get another one:

So this is my current setup:

Now I needed a bag, because two-controllers wouldn't fit inside my laptop bag, so I improvised & visited a local travel-bag shop:

Nice snug fit:

And this is my club carry-around setup(I basically take only 2-Reloop's, laptop, headphones & use the club mixer):

Also a Bonus picture: "It's not Underground, It's OnTheGround"

At the moment my setup is pretty complete, I'm planning to get an SSD drive to the laptop and that's that.
The next step is a good 4-channel mixer, but that's not my no.1 priority.

That's all folks!
Edwina Fagel
Hello to a fellow Estonian.
Nice setup
Clementine Gorrill
Great story, enjoyed reading it.
Carisa Ridgel
Great story to read and really cool history.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy