julamy0109 setup evolution!

julamy0109 setup evolution!
Posted on: 15.02.2013 by Jorge Furber
NEW UPDATE!!! CLICK HERE

Hey guys! So here's my setup evolution! It's been a work in progress since I started mixing in Dec. 2012, just a few months ago, but I really got hooked so I do put a lot of time and effort in both learning and upgrading my gear .

So it started with a house party at one of my boyfriend's friends place. His house is the HQ of the group, it's pretty much a homemade club, where you can have 2 different DJs playing in 2 different rooms in the summer (but that's his setup, not the point here lol). I mixed for the first time, not knowing what I was doing at all (it was 5 in the morning, I was hammered, I didn't really care of how it sounded, horrible is not a word strong enough to describe my first performance). I was still able to figure out the buttons and to load tracks and at least there was some music in the house. Thank God, another one of my boyfriend's friends came to save me. He's one of the DJ in the group and started to show me the ropes. And that's when I fell in love. Less than a week later, I found this on Craigslist for 350 CAN$: pretty much brand new, with software, no scratches, NOTHING.
374432_10151198986618051_53518320_n.jpg
It's great to have a controller, but I needed to have somewhere to put it. I read online and decided to build an Ikea DJ booth. The result looked great and fitted my S2 and my laptop perfectly!
481478_10151204533538051_1597748930_n.jpg
I started mixing more and more, decided to sell my DJ Booth to a friend and build another one with a bigger top (boyfriend pressure, but you'll see, it was a great idea!). I scored my first "gig" for New Year's Eve, at a friend's house. 1hr set (I was scared to mix for longer than that), that went really really well. I fell in love with DJing a bit more.

January came around and I started building the new DJ booth. The pieces that I was missing ended up on sale at Ikea and I completed it to this point:
223574_10151321313913051_1529220099_n.jpg(I'm still missing the top shelf on this pic but I like it because it really shows how massive it now is. Under it are my two Sony speakers and the black thingy half cut on the left side is my sub.)

Not being able to control the master volume that much on Traktor and because I've been having more and more friends over lately who bring their CDJs or Traktor, I decided to buy a Numark DM1090x just to be able to have everything connected together. There's nothing special about it, but it does the job.

And now, last week. I decided to go look at a vinyl store next to my boyfriend's workplace and I fell in love. I decided to invest in some decent but basic turntables (I'm getting them toevening ) and an Audio 8 DJ. Let just say I'm thankful that the BF pushed me to get a bigger top, everything should fit like a charm. While waiting for the turntables, I decided to clear the booth a bit. I cut parts of the top and incrusted the DM1090x in the booth, like this:
521288_10151337287903051_1459324683_n.jpg
The white plates that you see on the right side are gonna be used to hide all the wires between the mixer and whatever gear on top. So if I want to plug in some CDJs or a backup iPod, I can just plug them in those rca plugs, no need to play with the mixer. So right now, it looks like this:

IMG_3944.jpg
(You can kind of see the plugs on each side of the mixer.)

So now, what's missing? My TT that I'm getting toevening ! My Audio 8 DJ that will be put under the top shelf for easy access to all it's ports. I installed some LED lights in each of the squares at the bottom (can't see them though) and I'm considering buying some tinted plexiglass to cover those boxes. At one point, I'll add some racks for CDJs but I'm not there yet.

So, later toevening , I'll take a picture of what it looks like all loaded with the S2, the TT, the Audio 8. On this, I'm out to the hardware store, missing a few things to finish this up!

----February 21st, 2013 EDIT----

I picked up the turntables on Friday, they look great but they're still not plugged in (shame on me, I know, BUT I'm still waiting for my vinyls to get here, it's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R...). After a party on Saturday, I was convinced to buy an S4 to upgrade my S2. My friend who gave me my first lesson was DJing that evening and I haven't seen him since that lesson back in November so we catched up and talked gear a bit, and he convinced me that the S4 was probably better for my setup. Let just say that the boyfriend was really happy about this because he scored an S2 (he's buying my S2 to finance my S4 - C-R-A-Z-Y -) and he proved his point. This is happening toevening , and I'm quite excited about it. So pictures of that to come. So here's a picture of what the DJ Booth looks like right now:

IMG_1105.jpg
And this one is just the mixer and the RCA plates (look a few replies down and I have more pictures of those)!

IMG_1114.jpg
I also added some LED light strips from Ikea and glued the remote under the table top for an easy access when I'm mixing:

IMG_1103.jpg

Next upgrade: I'd like to fit the S2 somewhere on the table with a 2nd computer OR figure something to have the S4 running in Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and the S2 running in Traktor Pro 2 on the same computer at the same time. And on top of that, I have to find a way to fit 2 CDJs somewhere because we have our house-warming party coming up and expecting at least 6 DJs to be mixing that evening , some with CDJs, some with digital, and I'd like to throw some vinyls in there! See you for the next update!

----March 7th, 2013 EDIT----

Hey Guys! So I went a bit crazy over the last weekend and found a hell of deal on a DJM-600 and 2x CDJ-400 for 500$!!! So I now own my own CDJs. I'm currently selling the DJM-600 for 500$ (and I have someone to come check it out tomorrow!) so the final cost of my CDJs will be 0$. I can't really get better than that for a starting setup. I'm starting to fill up my shelves with vinyls ( )so check the thumbnails to see what it looks like!

Things to do now: well as you can see, there are too many things on that DJ Booth. Way too many things. So I decided to keep the DJ Booth as the "Party Booth" and move my gear that I'll need that day from the soon to be build office/studio. The booth will stay where it is, with the S2 on it at all time. And when I have people over, I'll move whatever is needed from the studio. So Part 2 of this project to come!

Summary of my gear :
- DJM-2000
- 2X Traktor Kontrol X1
- Akai LPD8
- Novation Dicers
- Traktor Kontrol S4
- Traktor Kontrol S2
- Traktor Audio 8 DJ
- Macbook Pro 2013, 13 inch, I5, 8GB
- Numark DM1090x mixer
- 2X Stanton T.62 (should be upgraded to some good looking Technics by the end of the spring, yes, some SL1200 )
- 2 CDJ-400
- Technics amp + 4 speakers (all revamped, changed some of the components in them) and a subwoofer (I'm currently building another sub, the box is HUGE, should be done by the summer as well).

So, comments, ideas of how to improve this?
Jorge Furber
IMG_1415.jpg
Little update on the DJ Booth. So I bought an Ikea Shoe rack with the legs and everything and put it together yesterday. There is a big need for some spray paint, which I'll do when I have a chance. As you can see, I took the Numark mixer out which explains the big hole in the middle of the booth. I will be getting a new top soon that I'm going to cover with synthetic leather.

The goal of this setup is to have two 4 decks setup accessible at all time. I've realized that lately, I'm more and more mixing with a friend of mine and we need those extra 2 decks for the main setup (the DJM-2000 and CDJ-400s). So I added the S2 on top of it. It could of course fit two X1s or something like this. And because we've been wanting to do more and more tag teams, I thought that having 2 full 4 decks setup would be the best. Out of 8 DJs, only 2 are not familiar with CDJs yet and only 1 is not with Traktor. Having this double setup makes it perfect to have any type of tag team, either on one setup or on two, with any DJ.

Now, with the new top, the shelf will be placed a bit backyard to free some extra space. The shoe rack will be lower and closer to the mixer. The top of the legs will also be cut so they won't be in the way. My laptop will fit behind it. I will add a magic trakpad at one point because I always end up needing a mouse when I mix. The Numark mixer will go under the top, on the Expedit, and only the 2 master output RCA cables will run to it. The RCA plates will be use for the soundcard so I will place them closer to the mixer. My audio 8 will also be under the top and used to run all my audio from Traktor to the mixer. I will bolt in my USB hub, again, closer to the main setup, and I will bolt 2 power bars under the top, one on each sides. I will probably trade an X1 for an F1 and have that lying around somewhere. We're also looking at getting a Mashine at one point. If that happens, I will build an extension/stand for it, on the left side of the booth.

Now, I have to leave room for some possible speakers/monitors and their stands. My friend has some so when it comes to a big gathering, we have them, but I don't own any at the moment. I will most likely get some capita legs again and install them on each side of the shelf, but we'll see.

Give me a few days and all of this should be up and running!
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by slinkydisc
Digging all the set ups super clean but still orgainc.

Interesting to see that you have dropped the decks I am runing a two technics and two x1's and traktor with a four channel mixer but I always seem to end up just runing the x1's. I have been djing since the early nineties so I have too much vinyl to archive it all.
The decks were put on the side but will be back shortly. Too much stuff going on in my life right now so I decided to concentrate on mastering the DJM-2000 and to finish my mappings for Traktor. After throwing a successful party on Saturday at my house, we decided to build a bigger deck and make a coffin style DJ Booth that would fit either my Stantons or my friends Technics plus a mixer. That's one thing that is missing at the house, an outside DJ Booth for some sunny days. We're currently working on the deck and the DJ Booth and we will probably have a lot of vinyls Sundays once that's completed. Of course, I'll post pictures of that too!
Dorine Borso
Originally Posted by slinkydisc

Interesting to see that you have dropped the decks I am runing a two technics and two x1's and traktor with a four channel mixer but I always seem to end up just runing the x1's. I have been djing since the early nineties so I have too much vinyl to archive it all.
Gotta start somewhere
Jorge Furber
I would be curious to know how many people follow that thread. So just in case it's thousands of people (it's always good to dream lol), I want to let everyone know that I'm going to Ikea today...bad news hahaha New pictures to come by the end of the weekend!
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by julamy0109
Thank you so much!! You saved me a few hundred bucks (and contribute to me pushing my RGAS too far lol)! So we're suppose to be recording a tag team set a friend and I this week, I'll keep everyone posted on how it will go!
Here's my paypal...
Alphonso Deitchman
No need to use "Live Input" at all if you're using an external record source.
Bryon Taglieri

Latoria Kavulich
don't forget to change the deck to "live input" on the deck drop down
Jorge Furber
Thank you so much!! You saved me a few hundred bucks (and contribute to me pushing my RGAS too far lol)! So we're suppose to be recording a tag team set a friend and I this week, I'll keep everyone posted on how it will go!
Annalisa Shogren
Yeah, that's how I do it. In mix recorder you choose the corresponding deck (deck d, for example) that you've got the rca plugged into on the Audio 8/S4. And yeah, choose external as the source.
Jorge Furber
Thanks!

Why didn't I believe of this...WOW...that's going to make my life a lot easier...I could very possibly do this with an Audio 8 right?

EDIT: to be sure,

Source: External
External Input: Let's say Deck D

Does that make sense?
Annalisa Shogren
Nice big living space there.

To record a mix through the S4, just use an RCA from the Numark mixer (Preferably out of the rec out, if it has one) back into an input on the S4, and set the corresponding deck to live input. Then go to preferences and go to mix recorder. I can't remember the settings in there, but it's quite self explanatory from then on.
Jorge Furber
46659_10151447386593051_644120963_n.jpg
Little update: panorama shot of my living room (DJ booth on the left) all ready for the party we had this past Saturday. Let me tell you it was a hell of a weekend and I'm quite proud of it!

Unfortunately, because I still haven't figure out how to record my sets when I'm not using an S4, I couldn't record my set (sad crying face here)...but I just ordered something to fix this so next party, it'll be online!
Dorine Borso
hey Julz finally done I posted those pics check it out lemme know what ya yhink
Jorge Furber
Hahaha sure, if ever you're in Montreal one day, let me know! We sure do have a lot of fun, it's a mix of people with experience, others like me with a lot of new energy, and music. It just can't go wrong!
Skye Ashpaugh
can i be friends with you and your friends!? haha You guys seem to have lots of fun!
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by OmniRoss
How come you aren't using the CDJ-400's in HID?
I do! That's why I need that USB hub. I just prefer to use another controller for stuff like looping and cueing. I don't want to have to burn CDs, and the USB flash drive is only there because I was playing a mix through it last evening while using my computer on the couch and I didn't want to have to stay behind the booth!
Annalisa Shogren
How come you aren't using the CDJ-400's in HID?
Jorge Furber
I posted the Ikea parts in a past response, just on top of yours. Again, it is the basic IKEA DJ table. If you follow the guide here on DJTT, you will achieve the same result. My only modification is that I sinked a mixer in it and added those wall plates with RCA inputs. And again, those are explained on this thread. I really have nothing to add because I simply followed the guide using a smaller base and a bigger top.
Kandi Odom
Originally Posted by julamy0109
Hello all!

Spring just hit us here in Quebec, there's still snow outside but hey, I went outside in shorts this morning! So with this new season finally here, it's time for an upgrade and explanation of the new setup! So here's a picture of the table right now. The only thing missing is my 10 port powered USB hub because I realized I have way too many MIDI devices (it will be behind the Numark mixer for a quick access).

IMG_1244.jpg
What you can see (click for bigger picture):

To start, my S4 is still there, on the left side. You might wonder why it's still there. Well because I often have friends over (and a huge party coming up), I wanted a setup that would let everyone use their weapon of choice. 2 of my friends only use controllers, one has the S2, the other one the S4. And because I was not going to get rid of my S4 (and because there is still an S2 lying around the house, waiting to be sold), I decided to include it in my day to day setup.

Next to it, my dear CDJ-400s. Great smaller CDJs, they take USB key, they're midi controllers, really great for my usage and for what my friends do, even though some of them are used to bigger CDJs.

And them, my flagship, my DJM-2000. It's a big upgrade for me, but a great deal is a great deal! There's not much I can say about it, the minute I started playing with it, I fell in love. It is such a powerful piece of gear , really something to try at least once!

Then, there's an Traktor X1. I haven't included it to my workflow yet, which should happen soon. It will be mapped to control decks 3 and 4, plus Traktor effects on 4 decks. Again, that one is actually more for my friends who use it a lot. But I have the RGAS so it's part of it!

You can also see some dicers, that I use for cue points and loops, I find it easier to use those than the loops on the CDJs. And finally my last MIDI controller, an Akai LPD8, with custom mapping. I have it mapped to the loop recorder, cue points as well, basic control over the remix decks and effects. Great smaller controller and my first real mapping!

Finally, there is a Numark DM1090x connected to my now famous RCA desk plates. This let me control 2 setups before I output them to my amp. I switched the configuration a bit of the desk plates and now, on the left side, you can plug into Channel 1 and Aux while the right side is Channel 2 and record, so I can record a full evening of mixing through that amp.

On top, we will be putting laptops (my Mac is currently there) and drinks...no I'm just kidding, no god damn drinks near the DJ booth...lol.

I hope you guys like the update, go for it if you have questions!
Amazing setup, enjoy!!! When you have some time please post all the ikea parts u used an also a little explaining if u can!!!!!
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by bassgoesmeow
Can we hear a mix? All this gear and no music.
Fair enough. I will need a week for this because my internet service is being change and right now, I'm running on my very limited phone plan. You'd be surprised how fast someone can use 6gig of date lol I will send you a link the minute I can get one up!
Joya Heiberg
Can we hear a mix? All this gear and no music.
Jorge Furber
Hello all!

Spring just hit us here in Quebec, there's still snow outside but hey, I went outside in shorts this morning! So with this new season finally here, it's time for an upgrade and explanation of the new setup! So here's a picture of the table right now. The only thing missing is my 10 port powered USB hub because I realized I have way too many MIDI devices (it will be behind the Numark mixer for a quick access).

IMG_1244.jpg
What you can see (click for bigger picture):

To start, my S4 is still there, on the left side. You might wonder why it's still there. Well because I often have friends over (and a huge party coming up), I wanted a setup that would let everyone use their weapon of choice. 2 of my friends only use controllers, one has the S2, the other one the S4. And because I was not going to get rid of my S4 (and because there is still an S2 lying around the house, waiting to be sold), I decided to include it in my day to day setup.

Next to it, my dear CDJ-400s. Great smaller CDJs, they take USB key, they're midi controllers, really great for my usage and for what my friends do, even though some of them are used to bigger CDJs.

And them, my flagship, my DJM-2000. It's a big upgrade for me, but a great deal is a great deal! There's not much I can say about it, the minute I started playing with it, I fell in love. It is such a powerful piece of gear , really something to try at least once!

Then, there's an Traktor X1. I haven't included it to my workflow yet, which should happen soon. It will be mapped to control decks 3 and 4, plus Traktor effects on 4 decks. Again, that one is actually more for my friends who use it a lot. But I have the RGAS so it's part of it!

You can also see some dicers, that I use for cue points and loops, I find it easier to use those than the loops on the CDJs. And finally my last MIDI controller, an Akai LPD8, with custom mapping. I have it mapped to the loop recorder, cue points as well, basic control over the remix decks and effects. Great smaller controller and my first real mapping!

Finally, there is a Numark DM1090x connected to my now famous RCA desk plates. This let me control 2 setups before I output them to my amp. I switched the configuration a bit of the desk plates and now, on the left side, you can plug into Channel 1 and Aux while the right side is Channel 2 and record, so I can record a full evening of mixing through that amp.

On top, we will be putting laptops (my Mac is currently there) and drinks...no I'm just kidding, no god damn drinks near the DJ booth...lol.

I hope you guys like the update, go for it if you have questions!
Jorge Furber
Great! I'm looking forward to seeing this!
Dorine Borso
Hey Julz i borrowed your idea with the rca jacks...will post pics when im done
Jorge Furber
It's the usual. Expedit 2x2 bookcase, vika amon tabletop, lack bookshelf, capita legs, and angular capita brackets. I used mirror clips to old the capita legs on the bookshelf. I might remove the shelf in the next few days and install a controller/laptop stand and use the legs to install some powered speakers. I find the shelf not that useful, except for drinks, but the minute I have people over, I don't want any drinks near the DJ booth...

And get ready, I traded some gear so very soon, I'll put some new pictures and description! Cheers!
Kandi Odom
I want a table like yoursss so badddd!!! can you post all ikea parts you used????
Jerlene Jernegan
Hey so I'm in the market for a new lady friend just in case. Nicely done, I love the desk and the RCA setup is genius, can't wait till I have my own place and can dedicate an area to mixing. Cheers!
Jorge Furber
Originally Posted by DarioJ
RGAS- Rapid Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You have it! Enjoy it
OMG yeah...and it's bad...I need a doctor lol

@meatball I mostly play tech house and deep house, sometimes a bit of trance and progressive.

@vanaema78 It's actually only male RCAs. The plates are made with female inserts so I use regular (male) RCA 90 degrees cables. They look like this:

[IMG]http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/LDyOskYAYyq6fUgyNSc1uaQoPy8zuZgho6SkwEpfPzW5Qi8zNz E9tVg3MTexKj9PLzk_Vx8iou-pb2IYGFieH-JnVuKjl1WQDgA*/fyVMtP8A[/IMG]

And the plates look like this:

It's easy to build, do it!

@tekki thanks!
Random X
Nice setup!
Edwina Fagel
Super jealous of the RCA wall plates. Could you tell me some more?
Where did you find so good female-to-female RCAs?

Great stuff. What kind of music do you play?
Judi Sissel
RGAS- Rapid Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You have it! Enjoy it
Jorge Furber
New update, check the first post!
Jorge Furber
It could be but for now, it only makes a link between my audio card and my amp and in case I need extra inputs for CDJs or an Ipod (very useful when you have a party and you want a backup if your computer fail). I will also use it if I don't want to use Traktor to mix vinyls.
Annalisa Shogren
Is the Numark a master mixer for 4 different inputs?
Jorge Furber
To everyone who's going to ry the RCA plates, I wanna see picture! Post them here or put a link to a new thread, I'm curious to see how you guys are exploiting this idea! Have fun building!
Tommy Thiner
Those RCA plates are ingenious im putting some into my booth today. Thank you for the idea I have been trying to find a way to manage my cables and also allow for others to use there gear on my booth without much hassle of constant plug unplug replug. You did a great job on your booth and it's great to see the progression you have made. Keep pushing boundaries and buttons!
Jorge Furber
Thanks a lot guys! This DJ Booth is the thing that I'm the most proud of, it just keeps on improving, and so are my skills.
So here's a few more pictures of the RCA ports. It's really easy to make, but if you're using the vika amon tabletop from Ikea, don't forget to pick up some 90 degree RCA cables because most cables won't fit.

IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg
(As you can see, the booth is still a mess, screwdrivers, cables, needles and cartridge...oups)

The plates are like DIY wall plates for speakers, but instead, I put some RCA inserts. In Montreal, Access Electronique (on Des SOurces in the WI have them) and Addison probably have them too. Around the world, I don't know but if you have basic electronic store that sells components, I'm sure you can find it there.
Armanda Yankauskas
Originally Posted by DarioJ
Oh yeah, just an FYI I love the Idea of the RCA ports so much I am going to steal it
that idea is just golden! pure genious. cant wait to see the update

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy