DOES THE WEEKND'S NEW SONG WITH GESAFFELSTEIN TAKE A SHOT AT DRAKE?
"A couple albums dropped, those are still on the shelf / I bet them sh*ts would have popped if I was willin to help."
All this week, The Weeknd has been teasing a new collaboration with French electronic maestro Gesaffelstein in the form of spooky, oblique social media posts featuring the R&B star and a seemingly Solo-in-carbonite version of the DJ. The pair had previously teamed up for two tracks on My Dear Melancholy, the Weeknd's 2018 EP, and on their new collab, "Lost in the Fire" (which dropped Friday), their joint sound is wiggly and liberated.
It came readymade with an atmospheric video, directed by Manu Cossu and complete with crisp flower imagery, blazing visions, and creepy nightmarish visions. It's got shades of David Lynch or something you'd find in a contemporary art museum. But it looks great.
Drake and The Weeknd notoriously had a falling out shortly after the release of Drakes sophomore album Take Care, which The Weeknd contributed to extensively. When Abel refused to sign with Drakes OVO Sound label, instead striking out on his own, Drake snidely snubbed the singer on his 2013 track 5AM In Toronto with the lyric, A couple albums dropped, those are still on the shelf / I bet them sh*ts would have popped if I was willin to help. Many believed at the time that Drake was referring to Trilogy, The Weeknds major label reissue of his first three independently-released mixtapes. The collection supposedly underperformed, leading some to speculate that the singer was a flash in the pan who wouldnt sell without Drakes co-sign, which helped expose him to his mainstream audience in the first place with a placement on Drakes then-popular Octobers Very Own blog.
Neither artist has weighed in on the line, and they likely won't, but if they do, we'll update this space with new information. In the meantime, you can watch the video, and listen to the song, above and decide for yourself.
- 24.03.2019 MIGOS AND DJ MUSTARD TAKE OVER A WAREHOUSE
- 24.03.2019 SOMEONE ASKED BEBE REXHA TO COVER HER STRETCH MARKS
- 07.03.2019 Rita Ora channels Britney Spears as she shows downfall
- 28.02.2019 Ryan Adams guitarist Todd Wisenbacker
- 28.02.2019 Jenny Lewis is deeply troubled by Ryan Adams sexual misconduct allegations
- 07.03.2019 Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea entertains crowd with handstands
- 28.02.2019 Lady Gaga slept through Oscar nomination announcement
- 28.02.2019 Can We Please Talk About Katy Perry's Engagement Ring?
- 19.02.2019 Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
- 07.03.2019 Mariah Carey Thought The Chainsmokers Were One Direction
- 19.02.2019 Ciara's New Song "Greatest Love" Is Perfect And Really Personal
- 28.02.2019 Pornhub Released A Valentine's Day Album, And It's Not Great
- 07.03.2019 BLACKPINK Finally Has Tour Dates Across North America
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 28.02.2019 Teyana Taylors Ballroom Take On Cinderella
- 28.02.2019 Bebe Rexha Calls Out Designers
- 28.02.2019 Chris Brown Plans To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
Back to news