Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
"In the past if I have ever done a photo shoot with so much as a t-shirt on, I have starved myself for weeks in advance and then picked and prodded at every picture and then normally taken the picture down, Smith captioned the photo. Yesterday I decided to fight the fuck back. Reclaim my body and stop trying to change this chest and these hips and these curves that my mum and dad made and love so unconditionally. "
While the photo was a departure for the singer-songwriter ? who is frequently photographed in suits, as well as the occasional caftan or romper ? it isnt the first time hes spoken about his battle with body image.
In 2015, he told 60 Minutes Australia that hes more offended when people make comments about his weight than when he hears slurs about his sexuality.
I think just because Ive accepted that, if someone calls me a faggot, its like, I am gay, and Im proud to be gay, so theres no issues there, he said at the time. If someone calls you fat, its like, thats something I want to change.
While Smith made headlines for losing a reported 50 pounds after his 2014 debut album, In the Lonely Hour, rocketed him to stardom, he said he remained a bit obsessive about his weight.
When I was shooting my first music videos, I just wasnt happy with the way I looked, so I was trying to control the way the camera moved, he told V Magazine in an interview conducted by Sarah Jessica Parker. I was constantly looking in the mirror, pinching my waist, weighing myself every day.
Smiths photo was snapped by LA-based queer artist and photographer Ryan Pfluger. The image shows Smith on the beach at sunset, shirtless and untouched.
Some may take this as narcissistic and showing off but if you knew how much courage it took to do this and the body trauma I have experienced as a kid you wouldnt think those things, Smith continued. Thank you for helping me celebrate my body AS IT IS @ryanpfluger. I have never felt safer than I did with you.
- 24.03.2019 MIGOS AND DJ MUSTARD TAKE OVER A WAREHOUSE
- 24.03.2019 SOMEONE ASKED BEBE REXHA TO COVER HER STRETCH MARKS
- 07.03.2019 Rita Ora channels Britney Spears as she shows downfall
- 28.02.2019 Ryan Adams guitarist Todd Wisenbacker
- 28.02.2019 Jenny Lewis is deeply troubled by Ryan Adams sexual misconduct allegations
- 07.03.2019 Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea entertains crowd with handstands
- 28.02.2019 Lady Gaga slept through Oscar nomination announcement
- 28.02.2019 Can We Please Talk About Katy Perry's Engagement Ring?
- 19.02.2019 Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
- 07.03.2019 Mariah Carey Thought The Chainsmokers Were One Direction
- 19.02.2019 Ciara's New Song "Greatest Love" Is Perfect And Really Personal
- 28.02.2019 Pornhub Released A Valentine's Day Album, And It's Not Great
- 07.03.2019 BLACKPINK Finally Has Tour Dates Across North America
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 28.02.2019 Teyana Taylors Ballroom Take On Cinderella
- 28.02.2019 Bebe Rexha Calls Out Designers
- 28.02.2019 Chris Brown Plans To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
Back to news