audio sounding bad on mono but good on stereo. why?

Home :: Producer tips and DAW information :: audio sounding bad on mono but good on stereo. why?Reply
audio sounding bad on mono but good on stereo. why?
Posted on: 23.12.2013 by Patty Dauer
hi,

i have a bassline which is processed to through various effects and mainly the sugarbytes 'WOW 2'. So i have a used a preset on it which sounds really cool when played in stereo but when in mono it sounds like shit.

can some please tell me why does this happen and how to fix it? Thanks
Patty Dauer
hi,

i have a bassline which is processed to through various effects and mainly the sugarbytes 'WOW 2'. So i have a used a preset on it which sounds really cool when played in stereo but when in mono it sounds like shit.

can some please tell me why does this happen and how to fix it? Thanks
Patty Dauer
Hey guys thanks for replying.
i have kept my bassline in mono all through out though except when this effect is on. Can you guys please give this track a listen and give me a feedback on it? the effect which im talkin bout is at 1:42. when you play 1:42 on mono it distorts and gets weird. please help to figure this out.

okay sorry i re -uploaded the track and now its not available here. please can you go at https://soundcloud.com/sagar4848/new-island and have a listen. thank you again.

https://soundcloud.com/sagar4848/new-island
Berta Baie
^ this

although i've never had any really bad phasing issues, just to be safe i've started rolling off everything under 100hz in my mix downs to mono using the mid-side EQ in Abelton. It also reinforces those important frequencies by focusing them, thus tightening up your mix as well.
Monserrate Rupnow
Phase cancellations. When the two stereo channels are summed, you are basically adding them together. Sometimes you get a stereo signal on the left side that is exactly out of phase with the right side at the same time. When you sum them together, they cancel and you get nothing.

That's why usually you hear people recommend that the kick and bassline work in mono, so that they don't disappear when summed for that.

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy