Volume controls different from S4

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: Volume controls different from S4Reply
Volume controls different from S4
Posted on: 20.04.2012 by Merry Piesik
I have both the VCI-400 EGE and the S4. I've noticed pros/cons to both but overall I'd have to say I like the VCI best due to the expanded creativity I can bring to my sets.

However the volume controls bother me. Why is it that on my S4, the main volume knob controls the volume but you have a 2nd level of control within the software with the main level knob. When using the S4, I used to leave the main level within Traktor set at like -1dB and then control the volume with the faders and knob on the S4. This used to help me from clipping.

With the VCI, the main volume knob directly affects the main volume within the software so you don't have that extra level of control.

Has anyone else noticed this and is bothered by it? Anything you can do to get it to behave like the S4?
Merry Piesik
I have both the VCI-400 EGE and the S4. I've noticed pros/cons to both but overall I'd have to say I like the VCI best due to the expanded creativity I can bring to my sets.

However the volume controls bother me. Why is it that on my S4, the main volume knob controls the volume but you have a 2nd level of control within the software with the main level knob. When using the S4, I used to leave the main level within Traktor set at like -1dB and then control the volume with the faders and knob on the S4. This used to help me from clipping.

With the VCI, the main volume knob directly affects the main volume within the software so you don't have that extra level of control.

Has anyone else noticed this and is bothered by it? Anything you can do to get it to behave like the S4?
Leoma Larouche
Well that's a bizarre oversight IMHO. In an emergency situation (sudden high output) having analogue control over the master out level is quite important. Since the "Master" knob on the VCI-400 was originally designed to be a MIDI control, a fix for this is likely to be technically challenging if dedicated electronics are not already in place.
Donella Bentch
Same thing at the VCI-400. Line+Mic input Volume can be adjust at the Backpanel. You can change the Mode: Direct to Master OUT or routing to Software. Only the Mastervolume Knob is only Software controlled- not analog like the S4 does.
Leeanna Ayla
The S4 is designed that way so you can still control the volume while using the through channel. This way if there's a software crash you still have main volume control for your ipod or CDJ or whatever you have hooked up as a back up.
Donella Bentch
Volume Control in the S4 is analog controlled by Hardware. Maybe Vestax will fix this by a Firmware Update in May. They are working on it.
Fidelia Messing
^^^ believe your right about that, works the same on the s2. I route audio from traktor, which is being controlled by the S2, to Ableton and then back to the S2 soundcard. The main volume control is for the built in sound card.
Fady Soliman
Yes I noticed the same. I believe the S4 is an actual volume control where as the 400 is a midi control. Not sure though.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy