MidiFighter: 3D or Spectra?

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: MidiFighter: 3D or Spectra?Reply
MidiFighter: 3D or Spectra?
Posted on: 14.03.2013 by Ahmad Kaumeyer
Hi, I'm new on this community and have literally just started DJing.

That said, I'm running Traktor and have a weekly slot in a popular evening club (don't ask me how I managed that, I don't even know!). Anyway, I'm working with Traktor pretty well and I really need a controller because I'm just using mouse and keyboard at the moment and I want to do more than beatmatch!! Just beat matching songs is boring me, I want to bring something new and interesting into this place (no-one does controllerism or even interesting mashups here, I blew a lot of minds playing some DJ Schmolli tracks...) and I want to push for a chance on another evening in a few months!

The question is what MidiFighter should I put with the S4 (the controller I'm looking at)?

I want to do cue juggling, but I also want a lot of FX control! Versatility is the key! (Variety is the spice of life afterall )

I was originally looking at a Kaos Pad Quad but that seems a bit heavy handed as it's audio only and there are perfectly good effects in Traktor that can be triggered by midi. (I also do mixing and production so having a button controller will help my workflow in Logic+Protools!)

So, which do I go for?

Can I assign the same effect to the buttons as well as the motion detectors (because super combos are awesome), but I want to be able to smoothly change settings as well (filters etc). Can I use the tilt detectors as make shift super faders (like the pro) Is there any point getting the 3D if I can assign effects to the jog wheels or are the wheels not that powerful once set up?

Basically... HELP! I can't argue either way as I haven't been able to touch either of them (but I want one so badly! :P )

So yeah, 3D or Spectra?

Thanks
G
Delphia Parmenter
Originally Posted by edeoldi
Yes, apart from the fact that you can get your Spectra in awesome color-combos, whereas the 3D only comes in one (black) color version. Also, the Spectra has LEDs on it's bottom, which can be mapped to some really nice visual effects.
so the spectra and the 3d have the same # of buttons just different location?

does anyone know how the midi fighter pro fits in this mix?
Johnsie Zike
Originally Posted by Sam Hulley
Reviving this thread, I have researched but just want to make 100% sure.

Are the only differences between 3D and spectra, that the 3D had motion sensor, and the 4 bank buttons on the top, are located on the sides of the spectra?

Sorry if this seems trivial, but just wanna make sure before I drop some money.
Yes, apart from the fact that you can get your Spectra in awesome color-combos, whereas the 3D only comes in one (black) color version. Also, the Spectra has LEDs on it's bottom, which can be mapped to some really nice visual effects.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by GeekGod
One thing to keep in mind with the spectra is bank selection buttons on the side - I am about to return a new spectra since it no longer can emulate 4 bank mode like the classic did.
According to info at Spectra product page you can set arcade buttons to act like bank selectors.
Ahmad Kaumeyer
Hi, I'm new on this community and have literally just started DJing.

That said, I'm running Traktor and have a weekly slot in a popular evening club (don't ask me how I managed that, I don't even know!). Anyway, I'm working with Traktor pretty well and I really need a controller because I'm just using mouse and keyboard at the moment and I want to do more than beatmatch!! Just beat matching songs is boring me, I want to bring something new and interesting into this place (no-one does controllerism or even interesting mashups here, I blew a lot of minds playing some DJ Schmolli tracks...) and I want to push for a chance on another evening in a few months!

The question is what MidiFighter should I put with the S4 (the controller I'm looking at)?

I want to do cue juggling, but I also want a lot of FX control! Versatility is the key! (Variety is the spice of life afterall )

I was originally looking at a Kaos Pad Quad but that seems a bit heavy handed as it's audio only and there are perfectly good effects in Traktor that can be triggered by midi. (I also do mixing and production so having a button controller will help my workflow in Logic+Protools!)

So, which do I go for?

Can I assign the same effect to the buttons as well as the motion detectors (because super combos are awesome), but I want to be able to smoothly change settings as well (filters etc). Can I use the tilt detectors as make shift super faders (like the pro) Is there any point getting the 3D if I can assign effects to the jog wheels or are the wheels not that powerful once set up?

Basically... HELP! I can't argue either way as I haven't been able to touch either of them (but I want one so badly! :P )

So yeah, 3D or Spectra?

Thanks
G
Latoria Kavulich
calub the spectra does not have the 4 bank buttons on the top
Delphia Parmenter
Originally Posted by edeoldi
so the spectra and the 3d have the same # of buttons just different location?

does anyone know how the midi fighter pro fits in this mix?
Johnsie Zike
Originally Posted by Sam Hulley

Are the only differences between 3D and spectra, that the 3D had motion sensor, and the 4 bank buttons on the top, are located on the sides of the spectra?

Neil Daavettila

Latoria Kavulich
If you dont have $250, get the spectra
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by GeekGod
One thing to keep in mind with the spectra is bank selection buttons on the side - I am about to return a new spectra since it no longer can emulate 4 bank mode like the classic did.
According to info at Spectra product page you can set arcade buttons to act like bank selectors.
Rosina Steinkuehler
Ahmad Kaumeyer
Thanks man! Now I just have to wait a few weeks until my uni loan comes through
Dick Korus
I'd say so! I use beubrytes 3d mapping which contains all of that plus all transport controls, looping and macro fx and such.
Ahmad Kaumeyer
I believe I'm looking for something to grow into so I can do some remix deck and cue juggling work, but also have a decent amount of tactile fx control.

Sounds a lot like the 3d doesn't it?
Dick Korus
But from what you're saying (filter control and fx control) I'd defiantly go with the 3d. The spectra would be better for remix deck control and or deck control honestly
Dick Korus
I have both. Just ask yourself, do you need the extra 4 bank buttons and motion control? If yes 3d if no spectra. Quite simple

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy