Tragic MF3D mishap.

Tragic MF3D mishap.
Posted on: 28.05.2013 by Jessia Chudnovsky
After finally getting ableton all set up, and the mad zach packs loaded, i managed to somehow spill an energy drink on my MF3D. I did my best to clean it off, but a week later, it became clear that 4 of my buttons had gotten that sticky gunk inside of them. All the electronics still work, but the sticky buttons make it difficult to use, and near impossible for finger drumming. Is there any way to ether open it up myself and clean it, or send it in to be repaired?
Lucien Maziar
Originally Posted by sporktar
After finally getting ableton all set up, and the mad zach packs loaded, i managed to somehow spill an energy drink on my MF3D. I did my best to clean it off, but a week later, it became clear that 4 of my buttons had gotten that sticky gunk inside of them. All the electronics still work, but the sticky buttons make it difficult to use, and near impossible for finger drumming. Is there any way to ether open it up myself and clean it, or send it in to be repaired?
Isopropyl alcohol. I had a similar situation, not sure what got into the MF3D but after a gig I noticed one of the buttons was sticking. I dripped a little Isopropyl alcohol onto the sides of the arcade button then repeatedly pressed it down until it was evenly distributed, let it dry over evening and the next morning she was working like new...
Jessia Chudnovsky
Maryjane Milad
I recently bought a 3D from CL and found a couple sticky buttons, so I decided to do a full tear-down to clean it.
I had to desolder every button in order to access the buttons and get them out of the case. I would not suggest this unless you have decent soldering experience.

If yours is really bad, it's not too hard to just pull off the bottom plate and at least be able to pour the alcohol into the case and let it drip through. I would suggest pulling the rubber sleeve off as it tends to get a bit 'cloudy' looking from the alcohol.
Dannie Dimora
As mentioned, isopropyl, lighter fluid, or, as i managed to discover whilst repairing my phone, liquid butane. Don't worry for it being cold, it won't damage your electronics nor your skin as you use it, just remember to do it outside, or at least in a very ventilated room, and of course don't light any cigarettes near you
Ninfa Mazariegos
Take it apart, fill a small container with alcohol, and use an acid brush to dip into the alcohol and scrub the parts. That will work the alcohol into the tiny crevices and remove any gunk. Then use an air compressor to blow out the alcohol and anything dissolved in it. That way everything will be clean and dry. That's how I clean the flux out from between the tiny legs of processors after soldering. Should work great to clean out the buttons.
Adolf Hit
@Sporktar

Yup Isopropyl is your friend, it might take a few attempts depending on how much gunk got in there but you will get there in the end
Lucien Maziar
Originally Posted by sporktar
Isopropyl alcohol. I had a similar situation, not sure what got into the MF3D but after a gig I noticed one of the buttons was sticking. I dripped a little Isopropyl alcohol onto the sides of the arcade button then repeatedly pressed it down until it was evenly distributed, let it dry over evening and the next morning she was working like new...

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy