MIDI Fighter controlled lighting

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: MIDI Fighter controlled lightingReply
MIDI Fighter controlled lighting
Posted on: 26.05.2013 by Debra Mauntel
I am looking more at adding more lighting effects into my set and am learning about dmx controlled lights. the question I have is, can you use a MIDIfighter to control some of the lights as well. I know that dmx and midi are different signals but I am wondering if there is a converter or some sort of hardware that would allow you to use something like a midi fighter. If not perhaps the midifighter engineers might want to consider making a dmx unit..........i'm just saying.

Thanks.

Sean
Robert Danno
Originally Posted by synthet1c
you could also use the free dmx lighting software freestyler and use the midifighter with that. you still need a USB dongle though
are you using this now? I've been looking for a replacement for my obey controller.. would love to go all digital.
Debra Mauntel
I am looking more at adding more lighting effects into my set and am learning about dmx controlled lights. the question I have is, can you use a MIDIfighter to control some of the lights as well. I know that dmx and midi are different signals but I am wondering if there is a converter or some sort of hardware that would allow you to use something like a midi fighter. If not perhaps the midifighter engineers might want to consider making a dmx unit..........i'm just saying.

Thanks.

Sean
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I have played with freestyler and vdj before... the scenes and sound to light are controlled by hot cue's and the beat grid of the track respectively. I haven't used a midi controller with it though. In saying that I don't believe it would be too hard to figure out, although be prepared for a learning curve when you start using freestyler, it would typically last two weeks, but after that it's all downhill.
Robert Danno
Originally Posted by synthet1c
you could also use the free dmx lighting software freestyler and use the midifighter with that. you still need a USB dongle though
are you using this now? I've been looking for a replacement for my obey controller.. would love to go all digital.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Robert Danno
I'm sure that the midifighter could be used to control dmx software, but I don't believe it was designed to control the lights on their own.. the midifighter talks midi notes and the lights talk dmx numbers.
Penelope Udave
If you have Ableton Live and Max for Live, there is a patch available called DMaX, which, if you get a USB-to-DMX or FireWire-to-DMX adaptor (available on amazon), allows you to output DMX messages from Ableton.
DMaX, along with additional information about it, can be found here:
http://www.theimpersonalstereo.com/software/dmax/

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy