Midi Fighter Spectra as a keyboard?

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Midi Fighter Spectra as a keyboard?Reply
Midi Fighter Spectra as a keyboard?
Posted on: 09.07.2013 by Shakia Morla
Has anyone been using their Spectra as a keyboard to enter note values? For instance in Ableton?

I purchased the Spectra mainly to have a 16 pad layout to enter note values. Which is awesome and more fun to play than a traditional keyboard but I realize it has two set backs.

1) The bank changes limit me to 4 octaves so the very upper and lower registers I can't achieve.

2) When I change a bank I get a residual midi signal that makes Ableton play a never ending chord on whatever instrument I am using(except drum pads,I'm not sure). I usually have to hit the transport to stop the track before the "chord" will stop sounding.

I have tried using the MF Spectra utility to find a solution to this but so far nothing in there looks like I could make the changes I would need. I was believeing Max For Live? IDK... I really wish someone could help me out here cause I really enjoy playing the Spectra like an instrument.
Shakia Morla
Has anyone been using their Spectra as a keyboard to enter note values? For instance in Ableton?

I purchased the Spectra mainly to have a 16 pad layout to enter note values. Which is awesome and more fun to play than a traditional keyboard but I realize it has two set backs.

1) The bank changes limit me to 4 octaves so the very upper and lower registers I can't achieve.

2) When I change a bank I get a residual midi signal that makes Ableton play a never ending chord on whatever instrument I am using(except drum pads,I'm not sure). I usually have to hit the transport to stop the track before the "chord" will stop sounding.

I have tried using the MF Spectra utility to find a solution to this but so far nothing in there looks like I could make the changes I would need. I was believeing Max For Live? IDK... I really wish someone could help me out here cause I really enjoy playing the Spectra like an instrument.
Nedra Fresneda
Set the track to ignore ONLY listen to the arcade buttons' channel and ignore the side buttons.
Shakia Morla
Opps I might have spoken too quickly.. I loaded the presets and still have the same results.
Shakia Morla
That's awesome... The first preset triggers a note when I change banks but it doesn't stay on like before. The second one the note stays on until I trigger another note. How did you do that?
Nedra Fresneda
I'm uploading another version of this plugin I did, it also lets you change the root note (like Maschine does). It was part of my attempt to get the scales mode to any 16 button grid but M4L wasn't the best answer.

It might be possible to add more banks to the MF but I don't believe that's one of the top priorities.
Shakia Morla
I was afraid M4L would be my option. I don't mind it but I suppose waiting to upgrade Ableton is my answer.. Thanks guys...

What do you believe the chances of a future firmware update that would include more banks be?
Nedra Fresneda
Quickest fix is to use a transpose up/down M4L plugin and map it to the side buttons of the controller. (I attached a simple M4L patch that does this). The long but proper way is working with Ableton scripts. I'll finish my script once I get some time back on my hands to streamline it a bit more.

You can't add banks or change the note value of the buttons of the MF with it's current firmware.
Shakia Morla
Is it possible to add banks?
Kellie Myrum
1. More banks could cover this.
2. Bank button also send a note by default. Pretty useful in Traktor though. Have a switch there would be good option for integration you're looking for.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy