The Midi Fighter Twister ideas thread

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: The Midi Fighter Twister ideas threadReply
The Midi Fighter Twister ideas thread
Posted on: 05.11.2013 by Jetta Drenzek
Doesn't seem to be one around, thought I'd start it off.

Looks fantastic all round to me, although I would like to see a demonstration of it used with synth samples as opposed to drums and then the pitch altered, allowing you just get one shots and then alter the pitch yourself. This may be a function already on that wasn't displayed on the drum sequencer demo, but if it's not a feature I believe it would be mind blowingly cool to add into it!
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Powhatan
In my latest, not yet released, Lemur mapping, I have been mapping the Dry Wet and Filter Knobs to Traktor's beat sync. For instance, the Dry/Wet of Iceverb mapped to the beat phase can give that throbbing side chain compression feel that all the kids are talking about.

I believe it would be an awesome feature for the midi fighter twister. Grab the beat phase, and send it back to Traktor.
The Twister is supported with a sequencer which you can program for this kind of functionality with out any middle ware. But the idea of having in-built CC and Note driven by MIDI clock is awesome - saves up to one slot in sequencer mode and allows for beat automations.
Genoveva Coulman
Yes yes, the big question. When are we seeing the Twister ?
Liz Halliwill
In my latest, not yet released, Lemur mapping, I have been mapping the Dry Wet and Filter Knobs to Traktor's beat sync. For instance, the Dry/Wet of Iceverb mapped to the beat phase can give that throbbing side chain compression feel that all the kids are talking about.

I believe it would be an awesome feature for the midi fighter twister. Grab the beat phase, and send it back to Traktor.
Penni Leutz
Im wondering about being able to sync the sequencer to Ableton (or other software)

possible?
Loyce Mekonen
Can't wait for this sucker to be available.
Charline Dye
Speaking of appearing........ 9 days left in this month. Will we be seeing the twister before the month is up as mentioned in the teaser video??
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by VanGogo
Oh well, it was a thought. Thanks for the info!

You could still do it, but you would need 2 octaves of pitched samples for each slot, so instead of changing the key, you just trigger a different cell. Sounds way better than changing the key knob anyway, but that would mean making a lot of samples.
Hey VanGogo,

I don't know if you remember the "Slice to remix deck" mapping technique. Perhaps someone can try incorporate this mapping in to creating a whole set of instant samples out of the track by using MIDI translators.
morales morales
Originally Posted by midifidler
Hey Guys,
There are 12 patterns accessible from the pattern selector knob, we don't allow you to re-arrange the order that the patterns are in but we do have a memory bank page, this gives you 16 memory slots, each memory slot will save the volume, filter setting, sound, and pattern for all four clips. From this page you can save and delete patterns and also jump between them seamlessly. So I believe that should hopefully achieve what you want

does this mean you have 12 patterns per slot or 12x16 patterns per slot ?
so if you call up memory slot 3 for instance, does it change the parameters for all 4 slots ?
how will it handle loops ?
Kellie Myrum
Hey Guys,
There are 12 patterns accessible from the pattern selector knob, we don't allow you to re-arrange the order that the patterns are in but we do have a memory bank page, this gives you 16 memory slots, each memory slot will save the volume, filter setting, sound, and pattern for all four clips. From this page you can save and delete patterns and also jump between them seamlessly. So I believe that should hopefully achieve what you want
Sounds impressive. So basically there's four memory slots in each bank or we can configure them the way we want?
Kellie Myrum
So they have started to appear
Charline Dye
Nice find! I probably would have over looked it.
Klara Kinnebrew
Random post::..

Mr Gates got himself a Twister I see...

(First few minutes of video, Right next to 2 spectras)
Charline Dye
That might work.
This might work for the twister step sequencer.....
we could map one button that would set all the cells' key value before you used them, and you just loaded the same sample to all the cells (which could be the same button). With 4 buttons you could load one slot (all 16 cells) with a button so you could put different instruments in each slot.

To work similar to the Push, you could have slot 1 start with the first note of the scale, slot 2 the third, slot 3 the fifth, slot 4 the seventh. Also need a way to select different scales.

Now I want to go map this. Damn you Stewe. I need to finish the other 3 mappings I'm working on.

BTW I am already working on a loop synth with different scales for the Spectra.
Kellie Myrum
Hey Van Gogo, I get your idea. I'm believeing of assigning a "key adjust" with different values in between each step. That would work IMO.
Charline Dye
I remember that mapping Stewe, but I was aiming for samples that would be the same "instrument" but different pitches that make up a scale(s). So you could step sequence a bassline, melody, or chords. Similar to the Push's scale modes.
Kellie Myrum

You could still do it, but you would need 2 octaves of pitched samples for each slot, so instead of changing the key, you just trigger a different cell. Sounds way better than changing the key knob anyway, but that would mean making a lot of samples.
Hey VanGogo,

I don't know if you remember the "Slice to remix deck" mapping technique. Perhaps someone can try incorporate this mapping in to creating a whole set of instant samples out of the track by using MIDI translators.
Charline Dye

Adolf Hit
Hey VanGogo

Unfortunately the only way to access the clip key settings is via the gui, or via HID. I wrote some MF3D firmware to test out this concept a while ago, but because of the way Traktor interfaces with the F1/HID it takes about 180 ms to reliably change the key value, this of course is no good.

Fingers crossed NI add a MIDI control for the clip key value soon!
Charline Dye
How about a melodic step sequencer?

Same principal as the drum sequencer, except you would either have to have a set of one shots with the notes of a scale (ascending in a single column), or just one set of one shots in the first row of cells and have the Twister change the key value for the cell to make different scales. Kinda like the Push scale mode. You could have major, minor, harmonic minor, blues, etc. Have the scale start on the root note in the first column, the third in the second column, the fifth in the third column, and the 7th in the fourth for easy chords.

So instead of changing the cell in a column with the knob as in the drum sequencer, you would sequence the different cell triggers in a column if using a set of samples, or sequence the key change knob for different notes if only using the first row.

With different samples across the first row, you could have a horn section or string section for example. Or use the same sample across the row for piano/organ chords.

Remix sets of instruments/sounds in a scale would sound the best, but the key value would be super easy to do.

It would give people a reason to buy a second Twister.
Kellie Myrum
Hey, the functionality you have mentioned would be least that twister can be mapped for.

Another cool feature would be controlling LED ring types via settings channel for more intuitive mapping.
Winfred Vaculik
I'm new to this thing, so I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious.

Would it be possible to map one of the knobs to the crossfader, and set another as a browse feature, maybe with the side buttons as load deck A and load deck B?

I believe it would be cool to use this as a portable, simple 2 chanel mixer with EQ, volume, crossfader, browse, and an assortment of filters/effects.
Winfred Vaculik
I'm pretty new to this thing, so I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious.

Is it possible to map a knob to the crossfader, and set another as a browse function?

It would be cool to use this as an portable, simple 2 channel mixer, with EQ and volume control for decks A and B, a crossfader, browse, and an assortment of effect/filter knobs.
Adolf Hit
12 different patterns. These are not unique to each slot, however you can choose which pattern is being used for each slot, and any edits to a pattern on a given slot will only apply to that slot.

The memory bank is 16 memory slots, there is only one bank of 16 slots.

So yes when you call up memory 3 it will change all four slots.

Loops don't have/need any special handling, the remix deck already handles these nicely.
morales morales
Hey Guys,

does this mean you have 12 patterns per slot or 12x16 patterns per slot ?
so if you call up memory slot 3 for instance, does it change the parameters for all 4 slots ?
how will it handle loops ?
Kellie Myrum
Hey Guys,
Sounds impressive. So basically there's four memory slots in each bank or we can configure them the way we want?
Adolf Hit
Hey Guys,
morales morales
1. sorry didnt know that yeeey
2. u dont need so much room for it squeeeezeee
3. yeah exacty just some kind of swap ability would definetly be wery usefull, so how many patterns can you save ?
Charline Dye
#1. It has the 6 side buttons like the Spectra and 3D so...... DONE
#2. No room for it.
#3. Good idea, Definitely need some LED feed back to make it usable. Just a swap command of some sort.
morales morales
1.idea
a additional button that would work as a (hardware) shift button, since all knobs are rotaries, you very easily double the number of controls this way, especialy useful, for it to be a more ableton friendly controller.

2. idea (its a bit out there)
i would add one velocity sensitive pad and the ability to play and record your pattern. i found myself working with maschine, that alot of times it is eazyer for me to come up with a patter by playing and recording it, and then going in the step sequencer mode and adjust it if necessary.

3.maybe some kind of ability to change the position of a pattern. i couldnt find how many patterns are there, so lets say there are 8. Im playing a song and i have a snare in the remix deck, im going through the patterns and i hear that pattern number 2,4,7 go with the song, now i would like to put them together so i can switch between them seamlessly .

Hope you understand my ideas.

Denis
Klara Kinnebrew
What i really don't want to see is DJTT sacrifice quality to get into a price bracket. I will start off by saying that I'm no fan boy but let's face it, DJTT makes some quality shit. I have 2 MFCs and a MFP and they are built like brick shit houses. That being said, I would personally rather pay more and get a better product. II'm a buy once, cry once type of person. If DJTT keeps production in the US and keeps using quality parts, I'm willing to pay whatever is warranted for this controller. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

much love.
Petra Arra
That would be no problem. Also EQ kills on the push button encoders.
that's what I am believeing. how I wish it would be below the $200 pricetag they mentioned in the blog.
Charline Dye
Originally Posted by arsman
Will i be able to map the knobs to make a rotary 4 channel mixer?
i would be looking to get this if it will be possible!
top 3 rows will be the equalizer and the bottom row for the volume.
midi-fighter-twister-white-2.jpg

press the bottom encoders for monitor/cue etc..

would be nice idea though.
That would be no problem. Also EQ kills on the push button encoders.
Petra Arra
Will i be able to map the knobs to make a rotary 4 channel mixer?
i would be looking to get this if it will be possible!
top 3 rows will be the equalizer and the bottom row for the volume.
midi-fighter-twister-white-2.jpg

press the bottom encoders for monitor/cue etc..

would be nice idea though.
Adolf Hit
Hey Stewe,

The way that it is implemented is you can set the velocity of each of the 16 steps, but then there is also a master volume which scales the velocity setting over the entire range
Kellie Myrum
Sounds great. I can imagine a modifier doing the trick here but allowing that option in firmware would relieve many other ideas since both of modifier conditions come available.

And the velocity is great idea. In addition I'd love to see one unique CC massage that extend along entire sequence length or maybe addressable in between certain steps. Then let MIDI trough so that way the value is always in movement. This would allow smooth parameter control adjustable in Traktor rotary sensitivity and direction should be possible in button settings. I've emulated something like this in my automation mappings and believe would be cool to easily design by default.
Adolf Hit
Hey Stewe,

For now it is limited to a four beat count, one we have done some user testing Ill consider making it a utility configurable option.
Kellie Myrum
@midifidler - One question about internal sequencer please. Is the sequence limited to four beat count as we have seen it in the vid or is it expandable up to 8, 16 or 32?
Kellie Myrum
How about dedicating one device for banking and target other devices to unit one and two.
Charline Dye
I thought of all ports, but knew it wouldn't work for 2 MFs. Making one device for the different MFs to share bank change info solves the problems. Brilliant!
Kellie Myrum
Ok I did see that in the Spectra manual.
I would like to know how you would go about sending the bank change note message from one MF to another. Would this be possible with just Traktor?
Assuming that 3D, Spectra and Twister send and receive the same MIDI note on bank change this should be easy as setting them all in the same mapping device with "All Ports" check at MIDI in-port and out-port. I've managed to force bank change by tweaking note on my CNTRL:R but all the midifighters should be able to accomplish this by default.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy