MIDI Fighter Spectra

MIDI Fighter Spectra
Posted on: 14.01.2013 by Pearly Revely
At least now we know the name. Commence gearlust.

Courtesy of Prefuse 73 on IG.

MOD EDIT:

Originally Posted by midifidler
Hey just a note for all you you who have brought a Spectra.

Today I noticed a small software bug which affects some (~20%)units, the symptom is that when upgrading the firmware instead of going into boot-loader mode the device just resets.

I have released a firmware update which fixes this on all units, once you update your Spectra with this code the firmware update will work without any issue.

To do this ...

Connect your Spectra, start the utility, click update firmware, when you see the Spectra display its start up pattern pull out the USB, hold the four corner arcade buttons and connect the USB again. The device should now show the blue boot-loader pattern and the utility will continue the update process.
Dick Korus
Originally Posted by tekki
Looks like a brother of mine... And yeah, that one of Karlos Santos as wel.
We got some FLYYYYY spectras!!! haha.
Kellie Myrum
Thanks bro. I guess I'll at least know what's deal with it by tomorrow.
Random X
And good luck with your spectra shipment, Stewe.... Not nice of customs... :s
Random X
Originally Posted by dubyou

Midi fighter 339 checking in. Big thank you to djranking s for making this possible. I am looking up some components to be able to build my own controller now!
Looks like a brother of mine... And yeah, that one of Karlos Santos as wel.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by padi_04
Hope it gets sorted soon mate.
Looking forwards to it myself. Man this was unexpected...
Dick Korus

Midi fighter 339 checking in. Big thank you to djranking s for making this possible. I am looking up some components to be able to build my own controller now!
Nedra Fresneda
Hope it gets sorted soon mate.
Kellie Myrum
...and they did update this as well. After calling custom I was asked to call them back tomorrow.
Kellie Myrum
Will do first thing in the morning. It's strange that our post site didn't update the shipment has been returned to US.
Nedra Fresneda
Yup, you should get one sent by your local mail. Try calling the post office with your tracking # and see what you can figure out.
Kellie Myrum
Shouldn't I get a notification in mail when there's some problems with shipment?
Random X
Someone set up us the bomb?!
Kellie Myrum
Exactly. WTF
Kiyoko Wellisch
Wait, what?
Kellie Myrum
Wierd, seems my Spectra has been ruturned back from customs... What could go wrong?

Latoria Kavulich
nice one stewe
Random X
Awesomeeeeeeeee!
Kellie Myrum
Customs clearance processing complete
Your item cleared customs in SERBIA at 11:36 am on February 21, 2013.
Will join mapping madness pretty soon
Random X
Originally Posted by Jester
I feel like i am backward engineering a nuclear bomb. thanks ean!
Well... it's going to be awesome sauce when we're done with it Jester.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Stewe
There's no mapping needed actually... It's controlling trough HID protocol.

Sorry, mapping wasn't the right word. You just select it as firmware in the utility, right? I have an F1, so I haven't needed to use it.
Kellie Myrum
There's no mapping needed actually... It's controlling trough HID protocol.

The Spectrum can easily be configured to act as an F1 (it comes with a mapping for it that you can quickly install using the MF Utility).
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Graven Bend
I know I can change the view in the Traktor Preferences. I thought the sample decks were still available! Well, I will just use them with the remix decks then. So I can configure the Spectrum as a Traktor F1 ?
I believe you might be a bit confused. The Remix decks ARE sample decks. They do the exact same thing that the "Sample" decks did before (they play samples). However, they now have additional features that you can use IF you want. With the right hardware (F1, MF Spectra or 3D) you can have complete control of 4 different pages of 16 loops/samples that you can trigger at will (up to 64 total samples vs 4 on the old sample decks). Or, you can simply trigger up to 4 samples from the top row of page 1 and ignore the others features (like the old sample decks).

The Spectrum can easily be configured to act as an F1 (it comes with a mapping for it that you can quickly install using the MF Utility).
Latoria Kavulich
I feel like i am backward engineering a nuclear bomb. thanks ean!
Phung Lunardi
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
What do you mean by "sample decks"? The remix decks replaced the sample decks, and function the same way. If it's just screen real estate you are worried about, you can change the view in the Traktor preferences to display as much (or as little) of the remix deck as you like.
I know I can change the view in the Traktor Preferences. I thought the sample decks were still available! Well, I will just use them with the remix decks then. So I can configure the Spectrum as a Traktor F1 ?
Random X
w00t!
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by Buffaz
Nice... Looking forward to see the result

//Buffaz
bank 1 is a modified version of the second "flavour" on eans jamonit mapping i have on the 3d. work in progress
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Graven Bend
Hey guys, I recently bought a new Midi Fighter Spectra.
Normally, I use Traktor Pro 2 with my Traktor S2 Midi controller.

Does anybody know how to use the Spectra in combination with the S2 ? I would like to use it for the sample decks, not the remix decks. ( I have a Macbook pro 13", so if I use the remix decks I don't have much space left on the screen.

Anybody got tips for me mapping this thing, I can't figure it out.

Thanks
What do you mean by "sample decks"? The remix decks replaced the sample decks, and function the same way. If it's just screen real estate you are worried about, you can change the view in the Traktor preferences to display as much (or as little) of the remix deck as you like.
Kiyoko Wellisch
Set them both up the normal way

S2 should be plug and play.

I'm guessing here buuuut- for the Spectre use the config tool to make sure that the firmware is configured for remix deck use and then it should also be plug and play after that. If you're using the Spectre in other ways you'd have to load a TSI into Traktor but the remix deck stuff is just the Spectre pretending to be an NI F1 so it's unnecessary.

Read the manuals for your controllers if you get stuck, they're loads of good info in them.

(I guessed the steps right, right?)
Phung Lunardi
Hey guys, I recently bought a new Midi Fighter Spectra.
Normally, I use Traktor Pro 2 with my Traktor S2 Midi controller.

Does anybody know how to use the Spectra in combination with the S2 ? I would like to use it for the sample decks, not the remix decks. ( I have a Macbook pro 13", so if I use the remix decks I don't have much space left on the screen.

Anybody got tips for me mapping this thing, I can't figure it out.

Thanks
Nedra Fresneda
Yeah but there is a difference between a person showcasing certain features and a mix or even claiming it to be a mashup like in this case. I believe the kid just got his new MF and was messing around. He did apologise for the abrupt song "changes" in the video description tho.
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by Stewe
Seen this before while searching as well... Classic overkill on effects but I guess he's using this map for the first time
fair enough, everybody needs to start somewhere. But still makes me wonder if the person realized that 9 minutes of beatmasher isn't the way to go or not.
Maybe it's because of Ean's marketing, he also has videos up where it's just nothing but effects in your face for a couple of minutes.
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by dubyou
I would like to work with someone to create a secondary mapping for this controller that works well with a primary controller (s2, s4, in my case z2).
Since the devices you refer to all use HID there would be no interference whatsoever, MF talks in MIDI except when it's in F1 mode.
Dick Korus
Originally Posted by MyUsername
Was looking at some spectra videos and this made me cringe. Hard.

Midi fighters are cool for finger drumming, cue point juggling, and just general purpose MIDI things.
The mapping he used can even be really cool when used sparingly...

But this makes me really sad and I also believe it's sad DJTT advocate the use of these things in this way.

With all due respect to the performer, you 're probably gonna see this, but this is my opinion.
Yeah I completely agree with you and stewe. Overkill! There are limited mappings available as of now and by the looks of this, not 100% sure that this guy can map. I would like to work with someone to create a secondary mapping for this controller that works well with a primary controller (s2, s4, in my case z2).
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by MyUsername

Midi fighters are cool for finger drumming, cue point juggling, and just general purpose MIDI things.

But this makes me really sad and I also believe it's sad DJTT advocate the use of these things in this way.

With all due respect to the performer, you 're probably gonna see this, but this is my opinion.
Seen this before while searching as well... Classic overkill on effects but I guess he's using this map for the first time
Nereida Jasnoch

Random X
Haha, if it would come with free roundtrip tickets for both Jester and myself, we wouldn't object.

But It's single Spectra only... You will be posted later on.

2 banks are already mapped. Jester's turn.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by squorax
Unit #6 finally arrived Attachment 15886 Attachment 15887
Cool! I see lots of people here go with all black everything.

And now mapping the beast. Working on a Jammaster3K mapping together with Jester!
Designing this for two Spectras combo? Guesses, guesses...
Random X
Instant disco!

Nah, just kidding, an idle thing.
Shawnta Orenstein
And now mapping the beast. Working on a Jammaster3K mapping together with Jester!

Already 1 bank(#4) done, 1 (#3) to go.
Nice... Looking forward to see the result

//Buffaz
Random X

Already 1 bank(#4) done, 1 (#3) to go.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy