[VDJ] Novation Launchpad mapper and mapping tool

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: [VDJ] Novation Launchpad mapper and mapping toolReply
[VDJ] Novation Launchpad mapper and mapping tool
Posted on: 10.01.2012 by Kiersten Tommer
My buddy and I have a Denon DN-MC6000 and a Novation Launchpad. Seeing the amazing potential of adding 80 buttons to our setup, each with variably coloured LEDS, I made a project out of building a mapper that would make use of the Launchpad as a supplement to the mixer. Since there was no way I was settling for anything less than fully working coloured LEDs, there was a lot of work ahead. Along the way I wrote a little program to help me (mapping got REALLY repetitive and tedious), and now that I'm "finished" I want to share. I understand the limited scope and use of this mapper and tool - it's tailored to my specific setup. So I'm just posting here because there may be another one of me out there looking for something like this.

The mapping is split into 3 "pages", designed for use beside our MC6000:

1. Samples, loops, key, etc: the main page used when mixing solo, functions are largely unique from the mixer

(The DN-MC6000/VirtualDJ combo by itself is really, really lacking/inconvenient in the area of samples! The top half of this page basically allows us to have a useable-on-the-fly sample deck, which otherwise we could not.)

2. Effects: main effects also located on our mixer, so designed around the idea of having a second person doing only effects

3. EQs, levels: really just a fun way to do it, not for anything serious (see pajamas )

Lights flash, change colour, or otherwise indicate whether their function is active, where necessary.

I tried to keep the number of lights used low, as the Launchpad has a crappy slow USB connection, and lots of updates sent to it in a short period of time will cause all of VDJ to hang temporarily. Which is bad. I believe this would be better if Novation had given the Launchpad its own power supply separate from its USB connection, but it is what it is, right?

Here's what the tool looks like:

Its entire purpose is to save you time digging through XML files (or dealing with XML at all, really) looking for LED colours that correspond to buttons. 80 buttons with 4 (in my case) LED colours for each means 400 entries = messy! Now they are all organized with their actions.

Adaptation (development) of this tool or something similar for other controllers is also definitely possible.

(EDIT: moved to attachment)

Finally here's a link to a zip file containing:

device definition file
mapper file
the above layout pictures
the mapper tool exe
a readme for all the above

Cheers
Allegra Ponzio
Hello! I am relatively new to VDJ and I'm having some problems trying to get this to work with the current mapping. Nothing is working for me and I've tried re-doing the whole Launchpad mapping tool and what not. My controller does not light up, nor do the buttons work. Is there any way I can get more in depth directions like a step by step video, or pictures? Sorry for the bother! But if you can help me out, Thank you very much!
Coral Upperman
What if i have Mac and cannot open .EXE? :'(
Ardelia Booke
Originally Posted by flangeordie
Something like this?

Loops, loop out, and play blink when active

The pitch bend is set to 2% every half second, you can change that

Novation Launchpad mapping.xml

If the filename has underscores, replace them with spaces
Is there any way i can add this as the fourth setting on me launchpad??
Oswaldo Pietraszek
Originally Posted by wafiksedhom
Hi,

How do you program the effects on the mapper? When I press the effects button, it does not choose different effects.

Thanks
You can do it a few ways. I have my map set where 4 different buttons activate 4 different effects on the selected deck.
Code:
<map value="B_6-8" action="effect &quot;BeatGrid&quot; active" />
So in VDJ's action textbox it looks like this: effect "BeatGrid" active.

OR you can have a button work as the trigger to activate the effect and another button or two to cycle through the effects available. But without a screen to display which effect is loaded with just buttons it gets confusing this way.
Code:
<map value="B_6-8" action="effect select +1 />
the map value is used it where I have mine placed, replace that with the button you desire.
Oswaldo Pietraszek
Thank you everyone in this thread for sharing what they know, especially synthet1c and flangeordie.

After only a few weeks I have finished mapping my LaunchPad the way I want! I'll share the actually mapping file once I clean it up a bit and finish testing EVERY aspect of it. Wouldn't want to share it if a button didn't work. Here is a chart the shows the layout and colors on the initialization of it upon loading VDJ.Subcycle's Novation LaunchPad Mapping (INIT Colors).jpg

It almost controls everything in VDJ and all 80 buttons are put to use. This is a configuration that I really like for my style of DJing. And with the sample and loop controls so close it creates a lot of space for live remixing capabilities if your timing is good enough. Some buttons like the ones labeled "Deck # Tempo" blink the tempo of their respective track so you can quickly see each tracks BPM.

For information on this map is on my Facebook Page.

Thanks again for all your help guys, and now that I know what I'm doing I'll try to help anyone else too.
Oswaldo Pietraszek
Originally Posted by synthet1c
copy the definition file and delete all the content from the mapping XML... Then you can just go into VDJ's mapper and press key learn to set the focus on a particular button and use either VDJ Script or just autolearn to fill in the actions...

After that you will need to add the LED commands, you can find those in the dropdown list at the top right of the mapper window in config. To trigger basic on/off you can just map the same command for the LED as the button, but if you want more advanced stuff you can use conditional variables eg if you want the led to blink while an effect is active but be on when the effect is off "It's bad example but should show you the syntax"

effect active ? blink 500ms : on

the syntax works like this:
query ? action if true : action if false

if you want to add more virtual layers you will need to allocate a button to set a shift eg

toggle 'myCrazyShift'

then query the state of that on the buttons and LED's and prepend it to the existing script eg

var 'myCrazyShift' ? action if true : old script
This is an awesome place to start. Thank you very much. I printed your reply for when I am working on it. HaHa.
Clare Rambacher
hello, i just picked up a Launchpad S. Its my first pad device and i wanna set it up to run effects and loops in VDJ in tandem with my Reloop terminal Mix 4. However i cant seem to get VDJ to pick up the mapping file for the launchpad. Is there some difference in syntax or something between the launchpad S and the original launchpad?
Ardelia Booke
Something like this?

Is there any way i can add this as the fourth setting on me launchpad??
Torie Peric
Got my ableton Launchpad today and have no idea how to use it (neither do i know how to use ableton) so i downloaded this to help!
Peggie Oisten
Thank you so much, I have been looking for this since I bought the launchpad. Keep on doing what you do. Last thing I wanna say is I Love It
Oswaldo Pietraszek
Originally Posted by wafiksedhom
Hi,

How do you program the effects on the mapper? When I press the effects button, it does not choose different effects.

Thanks
You can do it a few ways. I have my map set where 4 different buttons activate 4 different effects on the selected deck.
Code:
<map value="B_6-8" action="effect &quot;BeatGrid&quot; active" />
So in VDJ's action textbox it looks like this: effect "BeatGrid" active.

OR you can have a button work as the trigger to activate the effect and another button or two to cycle through the effects available. But without a screen to display which effect is loaded with just buttons it gets confusing this way.
Code:
<map value="B_6-8" action="effect select +1 />
the map value is used it where I have mine placed, replace that with the button you desire.
Emanuel Venneri
Hi,

Thanks
Oswaldo Pietraszek
Thank you everyone in this thread for sharing what they know, especially synthet1c and flangeordie.

After only a few weeks I have finished mapping my LaunchPad the way I want! I'll share the actually mapping file once I clean it up a bit and finish testing EVERY aspect of it. Wouldn't want to share it if a button didn't work. Here is a chart the shows the layout and colors on the initialization of it upon loading VDJ.Subcycle's Novation LaunchPad Mapping (INIT Colors).jpg

It almost controls everything in VDJ and all 80 buttons are put to use. This is a configuration that I really like for my style of DJing. And with the sample and loop controls so close it creates a lot of space for live remixing capabilities if your timing is good enough. Some buttons like the ones labeled "Deck # Tempo" blink the tempo of their respective track so you can quickly see each tracks BPM.

For information on this map is on my Facebook Page.

Thanks again for all your help guys, and now that I know what I'm doing I'll try to help anyone else too.
Oswaldo Pietraszek
Originally Posted by synthet1c
copy the definition file and delete all the content from the mapping XML... Then you can just go into VDJ's mapper and press key learn to set the focus on a particular button and use either VDJ Script or just autolearn to fill in the actions...

After that you will need to add the LED commands, you can find those in the dropdown list at the top right of the mapper window in config. To trigger basic on/off you can just map the same command for the LED as the button, but if you want more advanced stuff you can use conditional variables eg if you want the led to blink while an effect is active but be on when the effect is off "It's bad example but should show you the syntax"

if you want to add more virtual layers you will need to allocate a button to set a shift eg

toggle 'myCrazyShift'

then query the state of that on the buttons and LED's and prepend it to the existing script eg

This is an awesome place to start. Thank you very much. I printed your reply for when I am working on it. HaHa.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo

toggle 'myCrazyShift'

Oswaldo Pietraszek
I am having difficulty figuring out how to create a new page. I would like to create a 4th page to map how I feel fit before attempting to edit what you have already made.

I guess my other question is where should I start, if I want to design a map completely from scratch?
Elvin Auda
i love your map its almost perfect what would have put it over the edge fpr me would be effects buttons but other then that awesome job
Felix Bayman
thank you this amazing mapping files..

but i have some trouble..

select effect button did not working

can you give me help?
Madie Rumel
good work boys
Colette Kiko
HEY EVERYONE,
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE MAPPER FOR VIRTUAL DJ FOR LAUNCHPAD FOR MAC !

I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE !

Cheers !
Colette Kiko
HEY EVERYONE,
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE MAPPER FOR VIRTUAL DJ FOR LAUNCHPAD FOR MAC !

I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE !

Cheers !
Shondra Rodemoyer
Is it possible to get the 4 beat bars (blue and red thingi at the top) or what you call'em to blink on four(eight) diffrent leds?
any one good at the scripting that could help me with that?
Chasidy Heckenbach
VDJ is way more flexible than traktor with mapping but traktor 2.5 will have the cool remix decks in ofc. it's just the price of VDJ that is putting me off - esp compared to the recent price reductions for traktor. i believe i need to upgrade to live8 from my current live5 and not sure i fancy finding an extra 300usd to buy VDJ... does have lots of mapping options tho

edit: i'd still use my midimasher with my launchpad tho as it does heaps of stuff that even VDJ can't do *but* vdj would give me better access to various controls and i could even code a plugin for VDJ if i needed more
Brunilda Kora
Great work on this, guys. I'm considerring VDJ8/TSP2.5 at the moment and mappings for my LP and Dicers is a huge consideration.

Thanks for providing info on how to write my own.
Hector Ranis
@Flangeordie
Soooo Thank you again for making the mapping for me. I've used it as a crash course in VDJ script and made my own version and thought I'd share it here in case anyone else would like to try it out.

Mode 1
Mode 1 Pic.jpg

Mode 2
Mode 2 Pic.jpg

There is a third mode that I did not include pictures for. It is a crossfader/ deck side assignment.

Enjoy!

Necessary Files/ Instructions are attached below
Launchpad Mapping.zip
Shondra Rodemoyer
thanks great job i have problem thougt. when i change deck the loop and sample dosent fallow it only work on deck 2.
Kiersten Tommer
I really REALLY suggest to anyone using the launchpad with a laptop and VDJ to get a powered USB hub, especially if you're using more devices. It made a world of difference for ours, incredibly more responsive to quick inputs and zero issues with overloading it with commands now.
Kerrie Pier
thanks much, can't wait to use it
Abraham Proce
Great! Thanx a lot
Willette Nestingen
woooowww bro thank's really i've been searching for this like crazy, i have the mixtrack pro along side with the launchpad, soon i'll be buying the novation twitch. Again thank you greetings from Venezuela.
Hector Ranis
Update: This mapping is perfect for what I'm using the Launchpad for and everything works wonderfully! Thank you again for all your help! You are the best!
Hector Ranis
This is fantastic! I can't thank you enough! I've been looking for months for something like this. I'm gonna go give this a test run right now!
Chasidy Heckenbach
Wow, tough crowd
indeed they are

what you've done/created looks very cool. lack of more feedback on this thread is more down to the lack of love for vdj on this community really...

i really wish traktor had a mapping system more like (that i've seen) of vdj's. seems u can do a lot more just with the builtin mappings in vdj than u can via the control manager (which sucks ofc) in traktor.

i'd be interested to see what's in the next version of vdj after their merging with djdecks... could be very interesting. after investing in traktor tho not sure i'm willing to shell out for a diff app unless it's amazingly better. plus i love all the effects in traktor.
Kiersten Tommer
Something like this?

Hector Ranis
Awesome Job on the Launchpad mapping. It works great. Was wondering where I can go to learn how to customize this for my own uses. I don't perform with virtual dj. I mostly use it as a quick reference for mixes I build in ableton. Was looking for a way to condense your mapping into a page similar to your mode three but with a few more options and less room for the volume/eq sliders and maybe a row for a couple loops and a pitch bend feature. I dont use turntables at all but I'd like a way to use my launchpad as the sole controller and not have to fall back to keyboard shortcuts and a mouse for beatmatching. I should probably include that at this point the vdj script is a foreign language to me so you are dealing with a total novice in this aspect but any direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your work with this mapping. Because of your free download I now have one more way to enjoy the launchpad!
Kiersten Tommer
Wow, tough crowd

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy