SL1200 target light

SL1200 target light
Posted on: 03.10.2013 by Petra Arra
I recently found a Technics that's cheap enough to get me interested. the problem is, the target light is busted.

Is this thing important or I can do without it? I have searched the net for instructions to change the target light and i know it only shines light for the needle. any more function of the light to be of great importance? let me know please.

thanks.

If ever, this will be my first Technics and Turntable
Lauri Reinhart
Originally Posted by arsman
could you elaborate why? they are placed there in the first place, surely they are needed as well.
Target Lights definitely come in handy when youre using real vinyl records in a typical club setting. A lot of clubs around here are dark as #$^#^ in the DJ booth.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by johney
fuck lights and strobes tbh
could you elaborate why? they are placed there in the first place, surely they are needed as well.
Augustine Mitzen
Originally Posted by Patch
What kind of caves are you people playing in???
Petra Arra
the light in my little corner suddenly went out. so it looks like a cave even in broad daylight.

Originally Posted by Nicadraus
To be honest, even in well lit rooms, the target lamps could still be useful in looking at the precise position of the needle in the grooves.
I actually have a led light mounted on a small tripod that acts as the target light for the mean time. those old record breaks that I recently bought had small gaps between tracks. its impossible for me to see without the light.
Osvaldo Newhall
To be honest, even in well lit rooms, the target lamps could still be useful in looking at the precise position of the needle in the grooves.

Now if you really believe it's unnecessary, then go ahead and bust your target lamps off your decks.
Osvaldo Newhall
They're not worth worrying about, mate.

A broken target light is a great excuse to get a bargain.

They are completely unnecessary.
It isn't necessary when using time code vinyl but it's very useful when using vinyl records as you can clearly see the grooves especially at dark lit places.
Petra Arra
Nice 1200, mate!
Thanks! will try to clean it on the weekends while the wife is not around! the hunt for the 2nd Tech is on.
Petra Arra
so I got ahead and bought the turntable. it feels amazing, that I should have bought it sooner.
1380712_10201994463644374_1649158777_n.jpg

now, only if i can sell my controller to get a mixer and another table.
Petra Arra
I recently found a Technics that's cheap enough to get me interested. the problem is, the target light is busted.

Is this thing important or I can do without it? I have searched the net for instructions to change the target light and i know it only shines light for the needle. any more function of the light to be of great importance? let me know please.

thanks.

If ever, this will be my first Technics and Turntable
Lauri Reinhart
It is relatively easy to replace the target light. you can easily do it your self with a soldering iron or remove it and take it to any electronics shop and they'll switch it out for a few bucks.

With the turntable unplugged...

remove the platter and the six screws holding the plastic guard under it down. remove the guard and then flip the turntable back over. luckily it looks like you have the dust cover so you can rest it on that.
remove the feet and the 16 or so screws that hold the base on.
now you'll see the black insulator base. remove the 6 or so screws that attach that to the body.
now you'll see the underside of the target light housing. its held on by two screws. take those off. now you can remove it and disconnect the connector from the main board.

once you have it out you can replace the target light or take it to an electronics repair shop.

I get my LED kits from ice cold customs. They sell them on Ebay for 5 bucks.
Lauri Reinhart
Originally Posted by arsman
Target Lights definitely come in handy when youre using real vinyl records in a typical club setting. A lot of clubs around here are dark as #$^#^ in the DJ booth.
Rolanda Clodfelder
Only if you need to calibrate, I cant believe of any reason why you'd need to see the percentages on the strobe otherwise (Note: Vestax's dont have strobes)

Lights on the other hand are necessary to see the breakdowns etc on "real" records, but just pretty when it comes to timecode.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by johney
Augustine Mitzen
Petra Arra
the light in my little corner suddenly went out. so it looks like a cave even in broad daylight.

Originally Posted by Nicadraus
I actually have a led light mounted on a small tripod that acts as the target light for the mean time. those old record breaks that I recently bought had small gaps between tracks. its impossible for me to see without the light.
Osvaldo Newhall

Now if you really believe it's unnecessary, then go ahead and bust your target lamps off your decks.
Brunilda Kora
Osvaldo Newhall

It isn't necessary when using time code vinyl but it's very useful when using vinyl records as you can clearly see the grooves especially at dark lit places.
Petra Arra
^^ makes sense. will fix it once i get a hold of a replacement.
Augustine Mitzen
as i found out it's excellent to light your cd wallet in complete darkness
Petra Arra
Nice 1200, mate!
Thanks! will try to clean it on the weekends while the wife is not around! the hunt for the 2nd Tech is on.
Brunilda Kora
Nice 1200, mate!
Petra Arra
so I got ahead and bought the turntable. it feels amazing, that I should have bought it sooner.
1380712_10201994463644374_1649158777_n.jpg

now, only if i can sell my controller to get a mixer and another table.
Brunilda Kora

Precious Pequignot
Its only to shine light at the needle/cart/headshell. Not a very big issue. Just get it!

Do rmb to check the other aspects of the technics though
Monroe Vandeslunt
You should be able to get it repaired, dunno how much it would cost though.

Its not really important unless you mix in the dark, then its really important.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy