Picking the right mixer

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Picking the right mixerReply
Picking the right mixer
Posted on: 27.09.2013 by Shonta Steffans
I recently ordered a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3s off the net. I currently use a controller with Traktor. I want to know which option would work best with CDJ 1000 MK3s:

Option 1: Get a Z2 Mixer and run the CDJs through that onto my laptop
Option 2: Get a Pioneer DJM-T1 and run the CDJs through that onto my laptop?
Option 3: Get a regular Pioneer Mixer(Ex DJM 600) and buy a Traktor box(Interface)?

I have been a controller DJ since the start so I apologize if I sound ridiculous. I am trying to not spend more than I have to but I also want this set up to run smoothly. Thanks in advance fellas
Savannah Ough
I'd agree with boris here, z2 was a major fail, but i'd go for the djx900 5 channel behringer, reliable brand and cheap. Several sites i found are good value, this is very decent price http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Behringe...t-FX_i7523.htm

Originally Posted by boris
To me the Z2 was a disapointment in terms of sound quality and feel - as trilla_shocka also states, it feels cheap. (I have had the DDM4000, NOX606, DJM900, Z2 and now Xone92)

From your options I would lean towards a more regular setup with Traktor externally. This gives you 4 channel opportunity and flexibility. You might start off with cheap stuff like a Behringer or reloop mixer and move to a DJM or Allen & Heath on a later stage.
Shonta Steffans
Originally Posted by Pavin
The first thing I'd ask is where do you dj most often and with what?

If you're a club dj, whose residence has a certain set up gear it towards something similar to make your life easier. (traktor box etc)
If you're a house party dj then I'd go for the most minimal set up (z2)
If you're a bedroom dj, go for whatever you feel like that gets you to where you want the most!
The mixer will be used for house parties/clubs/my basement. I am slowly getting asked to do more and more house parties and club gigs.
Shonta Steffans
I recently ordered a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3s off the net. I currently use a controller with Traktor. I want to know which option would work best with CDJ 1000 MK3s:

Option 1: Get a Z2 Mixer and run the CDJs through that onto my laptop
Option 2: Get a Pioneer DJM-T1 and run the CDJs through that onto my laptop?
Option 3: Get a regular Pioneer Mixer(Ex DJM 600) and buy a Traktor box(Interface)?

I have been a controller DJ since the start so I apologize if I sound ridiculous. I am trying to not spend more than I have to but I also want this set up to run smoothly. Thanks in advance fellas
Shonta Steffans
Update: I ended up getting a smoking deal on 2 CDJ 850s and 1 DJM 600 with cases for dirt cheap. They are all working in great condition with no malfunctions. Right now I am running the CDJ's through Traktor by way of usb directly to my laptop. I know that the DJM 600 is outdated and the sound quality is not great but for now this
Brunilda Kora
Have you considered a DDM4K w/a Traktor AI?

DDM4K is a great mixer, and with an A8/A10, you could eventually go for a 4 deck mixing set-up... (maybe 2 decks + 2 remix decks...)
Monroe Vandeslunt
^
X1600 best deal for cheap traktor mixer. Has extra blank knobs and buttons with no function for you to map however you like. It can be turned into fully midi mode, traktor scratch certified, matrix inputs, etc all for 1K new.

If I wasn't such a diehard fan of A&H filters... I would of bought an X1700 long ago...
Janella Gripe
What about a denon x1600, it's traktor scratch certified and has a decent effect unit onboard AND has some essential midi controls. They go pretty cheap on ebay these days.
Savannah Ough
I'd agree with boris here, z2 was a major fail, but i'd go for the djx900 5 channel behringer, reliable brand and cheap. Several sites i found are good value, this is very decent price http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Behringe...t-FX_i7523.htm

Originally Posted by boris
To me the Z2 was a disapointment in terms of sound quality and feel - as trilla_shocka also states, it feels cheap. (I have had the DDM4000, NOX606, DJM900, Z2 and now Xone92)

From your options I would lean towards a more regular setup with Traktor externally. This gives you 4 channel opportunity and flexibility. You might start off with cheap stuff like a Behringer or reloop mixer and move to a DJM or Allen & Heath on a later stage.
Olimpia Yep

Adrian Zadrozny
If you plan on playing out a lot, use what the clubs in your area seem to have the most of. Here in Charlotte, NC pretty much every club uses/provides Pioneer gear. DJM-800 and CDJ-1000's are the club minimum here in most spots. There is one place that I play at frequently (Crown Station) that has a nice old school 909.

Basically, use what is going to benefit YOU the most. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Personally, owning a Pioneer mixer myself in the past (DJM-850) and going to a Traktor Z2... the Z2 honestly felt cheap and I wound up taking it back the next day.
Augustine Mitzen
djm 250 + traktor soundcard?
Hellen Mindrup
Well, do you have a budget?
Shonta Steffans
I would be using the mixer for house parties 40%, Home use 40% and 20% club use. I would say I have club gigs 2-3 times a month but I am playing house parties and practicing all of the time. I want something that is dependable and durable. I like the cue's on the digital mixers but they are not a deal breaker for me.
Shonta Steffans
Originally Posted by Pavin

If you're a club dj, whose residence has a certain set up gear it towards something similar to make your life easier. (traktor box etc)
If you're a bedroom dj, go for whatever you feel like that gets you to where you want the most!
The mixer will be used for house parties/clubs/my basement. I am slowly getting asked to do more and more house parties and club gigs.
Samuel Stamaria

Latoria Kavulich
Hey there

As much as i love our DJM600, it is extremely dated for 2013 and the sound quality just doesn't cut it compared to a modern mixer.
Of the options you list there, i would probably go for the Z2, although i'm not a fan of 2 channel mixers myself.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy