cd AND vinyl?

cd AND vinyl?
Posted on: 04.12.2013 by Aurelio Cavazos
so I've been djing for a while with traktor and have decided that I want to play vinyl, mainly because there are way to many releases that aren't available in digital format. the best thing for me though would be to play both cd and vinyl, so I can play my own tunes. Is this possible? When I've searched for it all results have been about playing cd OR vinyl, and the answers in community posts have never been something like "you don't have to decide, play both!".
Aurelio Cavazos
so I've been djing for a while with traktor and have decided that I want to play vinyl, mainly because there are way to many releases that aren't available in digital format. the best thing for me though would be to play both cd and vinyl, so I can play my own tunes. Is this possible? When I've searched for it all results have been about playing cd OR vinyl, and the answers in community posts have never been something like "you don't have to decide, play both!".
Meridith Betsinger
Taking into account size and cost factors doing vinyl+DVS seems the best start.

There's no real advantage to having turntables+cdjs unless you intend to benefit from the options offered by a cdj (cue points, looping, usb keys).

You can also do all these things with TTs and dvs (and a controller like a Kontrol X1 and many others)but that implies always using a laptop for Traktor/Serato/etc.

There's no straight right or wrong answer, even if the general consensus is vinyl is better sound quality wise
Augustine Mitzen
i would not recommend playing CDs using turntables, the sound quality is very bad

anyway.
if you want to play vinyl and a little bit of digital on side get either a cheap used CDJ or a DVS
Lawana Mileto
Go down the DVS route, or just play strictly vinyl.

There are more and more labels popping up that are vinyl only, and buying vinyl means digging through less sh*t.
Federico Vilas
Or you can record the vinyl and mix everything digitally on DVS...although I have been mixing without a computer and with vinyl only here lately... I have a lot of vinyl you cannot get on digital also
Lakeesha Storman
Yeah, you could go one of each as well I suppose...good point.
Petra Arra
it can be done. some djs here have a pair of turntable and a pair of cdjs in one 4 channel mixer.
I do not see why its not possible with 1 turntable and 1 cdj.

The store where I buy my stuff demos a denon cdj, stanton str8 and traktor z2. I've played with it and its the best of both world.
Lakeesha Storman
It sounds like you want vinyl so you can have access to some things not released digitally, but mix those vinyl records with digital files, correct? You don't need CDJs then, just get turntables, Traktor Scratch Pro w/ timecode vinyl and you're good to go. That way you can play and mix records, digital with timecode, or just straight digital from Traktor. (although I doubt you'll be want to do straight digital if you have timecode)
Alphonso Deitchman
Buy CDJs and turntables. What's the problem?

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy