Big DJ's using the S4?

Big DJ's using the S4?
Posted on: 30.01.2011 by Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Hi All,

Firstly i have to say, great community , i've spent the last 2 hours reading some great posts on here!

I thought i'd throw this one open, I have to say i love the S4 and am in love with everything about it, BUT - i'm not seeing virtually any big DJ's using the S4.
I've seen a clip of dubfire and pete tong using it once. And that's it.

There are no clips or endorcements from anyone 'big'.

I would have thought NI would be showing videos on their site of a good selection of people using and talking about the S4, the likes of Carl Cox, Luciano, Richie Hawtin, Carl Craig, Chris Liebing, Loco Dice, Dennis Ferrer etc etc - Bascially all DJ's that we know use Traktor.

They were quick to post videos and interviews in the past of dj's using traktor pro, yet there are no interviews or videos of anyone using the S4.

My thought is that it's not being used by people because of it's size and problems fitting it in dj booths around the world.
I'm not saying its impossible, I personally believe it's not that big, but i am concerned about having problems fitting it in dj booths.

I just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this?
Gaynell Shillito
The best options to get everything out of traktor is not to really use all ni gear but to use a good mix up. Example being the z2 is a great mixer. For lucky I won mine from traktor over Xmas on Facebook. But the. Use either 2 turntables or use some good cdjs like denon 2900 or 3900s. The. Use the f1s for the remix decks. It's give full control and ability of have more then one style. And not to long ago zedd used to use an S4 but that's because he's a shot dj but great producer
Antonetta Dopico
In all seriousness, to contributing to this thread tho lol.
S4 is just a tool to help you achieve the sound you want to produce. So don't worry about who's using what.

Now, in saying that I also need to say that (and adding to some of what other posters have said), there is no point really to use something different than what's been tried and true (DJM 900 Nexus + CDJ2k's the most popular setup I've seen) especially when I personally feel the FX on the DJM900 are much better quality and it's built a lot better etc.

Also, when walking into a venue there is unfortunately a whole "image" and aesthetic thing. What people's idea of a "DJ" is, a guy walking in with 4 cdj/tech's vs a controller made of plastic. I feel it does contribute to the chances of getting hired again or not , maybe not a huge percentage especially if you're a good DJ but I've heard clients talking before about how they've talked down about "kids with their controllers these days".

I own a S4 and my decision on that was because at my level, I am still learning and the S4 delivers a very nice mobile package for someone starting out like me. It's a lot less gear to carry around than carrying a real mixer with 2-4 decks, etc.
Romeo Cumbess
hahaha
Alease Fitch
Originally Posted by Emcee92
Ean Golden uses a s4 ;D LMFAO of course. DJ Dummy as well! Crizzly rocks it. It fits in booths you just got to move shit out of the way x)
Actually he doesn't. Ean works with 2 X1's and a mixer (I believe Allen & Heath), oh and a midifighter ofcourse
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
Once I get my xone:92 (somewhere this summer i guess), after a regular & human ear A/B test, I'll compare both with my lab gear . I can trace the frequency response curves (kinda spectrum analyzer on stereoid) & phase response. It's going to be interesting.

From what I feel, the S4 (or any NI card) response curve will be flat, while A&H here should add some bass & high shelves to correct/prevent the plausible speaker phase shift... it's an ol' and well known trick... call it color if you like

The interesting part, at least for geeks , will be the phase shifting behaviour while playing with the EQ.
PLEASE record a video
Yee Bedilion
Originally Posted by padi_04
Not sound quality, color. A&H are known for it.
Specs for the documentation are the same but they are different to our ears?

is that what color means?
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by sesshin
It's where the mixing takes place, not where the sound is outputted to. The S4 is mixed internally, digital via software. This sounds different than outputting multiple outs from a soundcard and mixing externally on an analogue mixer.

I compared the two recently; an S4 through a house mixer into a nice PA system, and a DVS & Audio 10 through a Xone:92 into the same PA system. The DVS/Xone:92 sounded warmer, richer and punchier. The S4 didn't sound bad necessarily, just overly clean and almost a little too perfect. I would choose the analogue/external mixing for sound quality any day.
Bryan Suga
Originally Posted by FLX
If the S4 were to be used in a club wouldn't it be routed through the club mixer anyway dim900, xone92 etc.. Hence wouldn't that solve the sound issue?
It's where the mixing takes place, not where the sound is outputted to. The S4 is mixed internally, digital via software. This sounds different than outputting multiple outs from a soundcard and mixing externally on an analogue mixer.

I compared the two recently; an S4 through a house mixer into a nice PA system, and a DVS & Audio 10 through a Xone:92 into the same PA system. The DVS/Xone:92 sounded warmer, richer and punchier. The S4 didn't sound bad necessarily, just overly clean and almost a little too perfect. I would choose the analogue/external mixing for sound quality any day.
Mandy Lupone
So this thread is about big dj
Phylis Casablanca
Originally Posted by tomflynn
Compared to the sound quality of the djm 900, yes the S4 is poor.

And the reason big Dj's don't use it is because of it's size and sound.
If the S4 were to be used in a club wouldn't it be routed through the club mixer anyway dim900, xone92 etc.. Hence wouldn't that solve the sound issue?

I just got my S4 and when I told the retailer that I was believeing of selling my Audio 8 he strongly advised me not to as he thought the Audio 8 was much better than the S4 soundcard specially in a larger environment.

So if all this is true it's A shame That the S4 sound card is inferior.

I always thought NI should've introduced a midi controller like the VCM 600 for Ableton but
a more compact version doing away with the Jogs, soundcard and having a section for 4FX units etc since most Pro/club/tour DJ's already own an Audio 8
Probably something for the future. : )

Saying that.. For the moment I'm very happy with the S4
Antonetta Dopico
Paris Hilton .
Candy Vardy
^^^^

He seems to be using the DJM 900 nexus recently, I believe cos of the plug and play functionality it has with Traktor. Kind of exactly what I use minus one X1.
Alease Fitch
Originally Posted by Emcee92
Ean Golden uses a s4 ;D LMFAO of course. DJ Dummy as well! Crizzly rocks it. It fits in booths you just got to move shit out of the way x)
Actually he doesn't. Ean works with 2 X1's and a mixer (I believe Allen & Heath), oh and a midifighter ofcourse
Lashon Greening
Hi, a couple that i,ve found recently are Porter Robinson, Zed and Elon Matana

lovin the S4 its a mad bit of gear

Cheers
Teresita Watashe
Lisa Lochotzki
:eek: see how bad my English writing is... now imagine how bad I speak (ask Itajen)

I'll paste the curves in here that's for sure. Will believe about the video thing
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by DJKeyWee
Once I get my xone:92 (somewhere this summer i guess), after a regular & human ear A/B test, I'll compare both with my lab gear . I can trace the frequency response curves (kinda spectrum analyzer on stereoid) & phase response. It's going to be interesting.

From what I feel, the S4 (or any NI card) response curve will be flat, while A&H here should add some bass & high shelves to correct/prevent the plausible speaker phase shift... it's an ol' and well known trick... call it color if you like

The interesting part, at least for geeks , will be the phase shifting behaviour while playing with the EQ.
PLEASE record a video
Lisa Lochotzki

Yee Bedilion
Specs for the documentation are the same but they are different to our ears?

is that what color means?
Nedra Fresneda
Originally Posted by sesshin

Bryan Suga
Originally Posted by FLX

Reyna Hoodenpyle
I just purchased an S4 and will be using it at the St. Johns 500 year anniversary May Ball. I'll be sure to let you know how it was received. I've used one in the past in LA and had no problems with it; the sound quality was just fine.
Mandy Lupone
So this thread is about big dj
Phylis Casablanca

I just got my S4 and when I told the retailer that I was believeing of selling my Audio 8 he strongly advised me not to as he thought the Audio 8 was much better than the S4 soundcard specially in a larger environment.

So if all this is true it's A shame That the S4 sound card is inferior.

I always thought NI should've introduced a midi controller like the VCM 600 for Ableton but
a more compact version doing away with the Jogs, soundcard and having a section for 4FX units etc since most Pro/club/tour DJ's already own an Audio 8
Probably something for the future. : )

Saying that.. For the moment I'm very happy with the S4
Mariano Godina
I know, I agree, it's not 'massive', but at the same time, it's not the most practical thing. If you Dj for a living and travel the world with it, ou would soon see that it's not acceptable in most booths, there just isn't room.

In some situations there is room, but more often than not there isn't.

I wish there was room! Believe me, im not hating on it or anything! As I say, I believe it's a great bit of kit, you only have to read my older posts to see that. I just came to the decision that with the djm 900 becoming standard more and more now, its a lot easier for me to play using that.

As I always say though, each to their own. All that matters at the end of the day is putting on a good show/set. Weather you use tape decks or Traktor......
Shelia Salzsieder
Just 'general size'. I was surprised at how small it was when I got it because everyone had been going on about how big it is. It's smaller than 2 cdjs and a mixer isn't it?
Lisa Lochotzki
Compared to what? Agreed, it has some problem to fit in some booth I know of... assuming you can't/want to move some gear.
Shelia Salzsieder
I don't get why everyone keeps saying the S4 is big, it isnt
Mariano Godina

Lin Danek
Do YOU believe the sound quality it's poor?
No I dont.

I don't need 'big name endorsement' to justify my choice.
Nedra Fresneda
I was it's biggest fan for a while, and still believe it's great, but I've heard too many people say the sound quality is poor, not to mention the problem of travelling with it and having to fit it in dj booths.
Do YOU believe the sound quality it's poor?

The main reasons most DJs didn't adopt it are because they are happy with their current setup and/or they don't dig all in one controllers.
Mariano Godina
Oddly enough I've given up on the S4. I was it's biggest fan for a while, and still believe it's great, but I've heard too many people say the sound quality is poor, not to mention the problem of travelling with it and having to fit it in dj booths.

This isn't me hating on it, as I say I loved it. But now I use the djm 900 and Traktor, it's even easier to setup than tue S4 - USB lead into the 900 and that's it.

I'm honestly not hating on it, a lot of my posts on here are me raving about it. It's just there's a reason why it hasn't been widely adopted by a lot of dj's.
Julietta Mistretta
Originally Posted by Ryan Leo
So I am noticing the S4 ran into another mixer.

So is this just running the RCA out into a single chanel on the mixer with the gain adjusted so that the S4 is controlling on the levels?

Aside from space issues. This would be very easy to setup around someone playing. I'm sure they could manage to use only 3 channels on there outgoing track.
correct. i had to do this on sunday - ran rcas out into ch3 on a djm800. prior dj mixed out on left cdj2000, and i mixed in with the s4. kept everything at 12oclock and faded in. worked like a champ, and didnt need to get in his way since i was set up off to the side.
Kerri Palmerino
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuIP...el_video_title
Yee Bedilion
So I am noticing the S4 ran into another mixer.

So is this just running the RCA out into a single chanel on the mixer with the gain adjusted so that the S4 is controlling on the levels?

Aside from space issues. This would be very easy to setup around someone playing. I'm sure they could manage to use only 3 channels on there outgoing track.
Gloria Lemmel
Zedd Uses An S4.

I thought that was pretty cool. This pic was from his tour in Taiwan with Deadmau5. Not a huge fan of the mau5, but Zedd has some phenomenal remixes and originals, namely the Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites Remix, which makes the song listenable.
Yee Bedilion
Sky Blu!

I failed out of electrical engineering technology because I went to an LMFAO show.

If anyone asks me about using an S4 I'll just tell em LMFAO uses it and a midi fighter. Bam.

We should get them on this community .

DJTT and NI are dropping the ball on that advertising.
Shelia Salzsieder
Originally Posted by sfunk
A controller is really only as good as the person using it.
bought my S4 today so should have it tomorrow!
Chae Fugle
A controller is really only as good as the software.
Jarrod Hellems
Oh man I was at this http://youtu.be/o9EzIZ0WHhI and never realized the Sky Blu uses an S4 and a midi fighter

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy