Tannin DIY MIDI Controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Tannin DIY MIDI ControllerReply
Tannin DIY MIDI Controller
Posted on: 26.12.2013 by Nathanael Yerk
I'm well aware that I haven't updated this thread for a long time - it's for a reason. That project is simply too complex and too expensive for me to finish it in some reasonable time. Project is still open and up on GitHub, if anyone wants to build it. So long story short - I've started doing something much more simpler - Tannin. It's a project I actually managed to finish (well almost, I still need a box) in about 3 weeks from scratch. I do have 3,5 years of experience with OpenDeck tho. So here are the specs of Tannin:

4x4 matrix of tactile buttons
3 additional metal buttons
4 LEDs with metal holders
16 pots
Driven by Arduino Nano microcontroller

Pictures:

And here's a short video of it in action (it's pretty hard filming and showing off features )

Video

Features are mostly the same as OpenDeck:

Each potentiometer sends additional 6 MIDI Note On/Off events depending on its position
Each button sends another MIDI note after 1 second on another MIDI channel
MIDI In Support (Traktor can control LEDs)
Standard MIDI Note On/Off support

Looking forward hearing opinions.
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by Stewe
Dunno.. perhaps in between 250-300 US. What's your build costs for this unit?
I was targeting price around 200 dollars, if anyone would want me to build it. Costs were around 100 euros, box not included since I got it for free this time.
Kellie Myrum
Dunno.. perhaps in between 250-300 US. What's your build costs for this unit?
Nathanael Yerk
Quick question: how much would you guys pay for this controller (or something very simmiliar)?
Nathanael Yerk
It's some kind of special plastic board with thin black film on it glued to 3mm plexi board. The graphics and holes are then drilled / engraved with laser CNC. The design is made by me in CorelDraw.
Oren Stunkel
How did you get / do the markings / graphics on the faceplate?
Nathanael Yerk
All right, here it is:

Nathanael Yerk
Final piece of the puzzle:

Next week (I hope) I'm going to record a overview video with all features shown.
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by Stewe
Good job man! Loving the design

Replace that little buttons with arcade and you got a MIDIfighter Pro.
Thanks! Well, they're quite expensive and I wanted to build it from parts that I already had so
Kellie Myrum
Good job man! Loving the design

Replace that little buttons with arcade and you got a MIDIfighter Pro.
Nathanael Yerk
Originally Posted by dripstep
That case looks good. How do you like those stainless buttons? Make sure you screw those screws in too, you're gonna hurt yourself

Looks Damn good.
The one in the middle is great, the other two are so-so. Already ordered two more buttons like the one in the middle to replace them. And thanks!
Nathanael Yerk
So sick dude! Nice work, that's one professional looking controller.
Thanks a lot! I'm building in some more features in it right now. The case should be finished by Monday, then I'll make a video with all the stuff. Until then I was having some fun with LEDs mapping:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Nathanael Yerk
I'm well aware that I haven't updated this thread for a long time - it's for a reason. That project is simply too complex and too expensive for me to finish it in some reasonable time. Project is still open and up on GitHub, if anyone wants to build it. So long story short - I've started doing something much more simpler - Tannin. It's a project I actually managed to finish (well almost, I still need a box) in about 3 weeks from scratch. I do have 3,5 years of experience with OpenDeck tho. So here are the specs of Tannin:

4x4 matrix of tactile buttons
3 additional metal buttons
4 LEDs with metal holders
16 pots
Driven by Arduino Nano microcontroller

Pictures:

And here's a short video of it in action (it's pretty hard filming and showing off features )

Video

Features are mostly the same as OpenDeck:

Each potentiometer sends additional 6 MIDI Note On/Off events depending on its position
Each button sends another MIDI note after 1 second on another MIDI channel
MIDI In Support (Traktor can control LEDs)
Standard MIDI Note On/Off support

Looking forward hearing opinions.
Nathanael Yerk
Added another neat feature. Each LED can now blink or be in constantly turned on state. Previous LED state is also remembered, so if LED was blinking and LED received Note event which turns on constantly turned on state, LED will stop blinking will instead be lighted constantly until Note Off event is received which will turn constantly turned on state off. After that LED will continue blinking until off event for blink state is received. Pretty hard to explain so here's a video:

Nathanael Yerk
That case looks good. How do you like those stainless buttons? Make sure you screw those screws in too, you're gonna hurt yourself

Looks Damn good.
The one in the middle is great, the other two are so-so. Already ordered two more buttons like the one in the middle to replace them. And thanks!
Yong Aptekar

Looks Damn good.
Nathanael Yerk
There are some small details that need to be done but this is mostly it:

Also two additional videos:

Video 1

Start up routine (only thing is that starts kinda slow... I need to look into that):
Video 2
Nathanael Yerk
Thanks a lot! I'm building in some more features in it right now. The case should be finished by Monday, then I'll make a video with all the stuff. Until then I was having some fun with LEDs mapping:

Yong Aptekar

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy