Upgrade question: Z2 (USB Hub+, No Jog Wheels-)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Upgrade question: Z2 (USB Hub+, No Jog Wheels-)Reply
Upgrade question: Z2 (USB Hub+, No Jog Wheels-)
Posted on: 10.06.2013 by Shannan Bibbey
Hi there. Thanks for checking out this post. I am looking for additional thoughts regarding my next gear upgrade.

Here is my current set up:
Macbook Pro
M-Audio Fasttrack Pro
VCI-100 se
Kontrol X1 (for FX)
Kontrol F1 (for remix decks)

I love all my gear, but I want less clutter. I'd like to move to a mixer/controller with integrated audio. The Z2 has my attention, because it has a nice in/out port selection AND because it has an integrated USB hub. However, I am concerned that I will miss the jog wheels! While I do not scratch, I use the jogwheels to cue track locations on-the-fly. The VCI-400 and the S4 are also up for consideration, but they do take up more real estate. BTW, I don't use external decks, but I may occasionally want to connect up a Mic or some random external device.

I would appreciate your thoughts about what you might do or consider in this situation.

THANKS!
--Russ
Shannan Bibbey
Hi there. Thanks for checking out this post. I am looking for additional thoughts regarding my next gear upgrade.

Here is my current set up:
Macbook Pro
M-Audio Fasttrack Pro
VCI-100 se
Kontrol X1 (for FX)
Kontrol F1 (for remix decks)

I love all my gear, but I want less clutter. I'd like to move to a mixer/controller with integrated audio. The Z2 has my attention, because it has a nice in/out port selection AND because it has an integrated USB hub. However, I am concerned that I will miss the jog wheels! While I do not scratch, I use the jogwheels to cue track locations on-the-fly. The VCI-400 and the S4 are also up for consideration, but they do take up more real estate. BTW, I don't use external decks, but I may occasionally want to connect up a Mic or some random external device.

I would appreciate your thoughts about what you might do or consider in this situation.

THANKS!
--Russ
Shannan Bibbey
Thanks for the reply, Xtian317. I am definitely going to keep my X1 and F1. I am looking around to find a mapping that will allow me to use the X1 to seek through a track with greater granularity than the X1 currently seems to offers. I am sure someone has done this! If I can find such a mapping, it may help me let go of the jog wheels.
Valery Ellick
I love my Z2, I mostly run it with my MFPro and MF3D.
The other thing to consider with the Z2 is the (native) lack of a play/pause button and minimal FX controls (great for MacroFX, but that's about it). By default, play/pause can be accomplished via Shift + another button. A quick mapping adjustment could resolve this.
I'd recommend holding onto at least the X1 and possibly the F1 for additional functionality (FX, pitch adjust/bend, play/pause). You could also setup one of the X1/F1 knobs to act as a jog wheel of sorts for your cuing.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy