Rasberry Pi as a Midi Controller

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Rasberry Pi as a Midi ControllerReply
Rasberry Pi as a Midi Controller
Posted on: 28.06.2013 by Gisele Engstrand
Hey all,
I am getting a Raspberry Pi, the 35 dollar computer, and I was wondering if it would be possible to use it as a midi controller. Using the GPIO inputs for buttons and sending midi messages or keystrokes to another computer via Ethernet or over wifi.
I would really appreciate your reply.
Gisele Engstrand
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Haven't looked at the specs for the PI but I would say probably - in fact I would say yes it will do what you want.

edit :

http://www.astlab.de/rpi/rpi.shtml
Thanks!
I believe I will try to do this, making modifications to turn it into a midi fighter . I will do a instructable if it turns out successful.
Gisele Engstrand
Hey all,
I am getting a Raspberry Pi, the 35 dollar computer, and I was wondering if it would be possible to use it as a midi controller. Using the GPIO inputs for buttons and sending midi messages or keystrokes to another computer via Ethernet or over wifi.
I would really appreciate your reply.
Gisele Engstrand
I've looked at both actually. I know that using the Raspberry Pi as a midi controller will be overkill, but I can use it as other things as well. @ghztomash did you follow a tutorial that can could help me possibly? If I fail miserably I will buy a teensy and use that.
Thanks for the input!
Janyce Henningson
He wants it to work over wifi or LAN though not USB, which will push the price up using duino.
Kyra Ramquist
As ghztomash said, Arduino and Teensy are perfect for this purpose. Teensy even has native MIDI and HID over USB, just plug the USB cable into a computer to get power and MIDI or HID. Sure, a Raspberry PI can do it, but it's an entire computer, it's just overkill.
Brendan Andrascik
actually you could utilize completely its computing power and make a "computer-less" instrument. like have a mini mixing or sample launching app running on there with PureData or Processing. Something like a stand alone Maschine. Running a whole Operating System just to read buttons and send MIDI signals is a little bit over kill, you could easily do the same with a $16 Teensy controller
Gisele Engstrand
Thanks!
I will try to modify this so I can use it as a launchpad or midi fighter type device, if I succeed I will post a tutorial on how to do this.
Gisele Engstrand
Originally Posted by Nicky H
Haven't looked at the specs for the PI but I would say probably - in fact I would say yes it will do what you want.

edit :

Thanks!
I believe I will try to do this, making modifications to turn it into a midi fighter . I will do a instructable if it turns out successful.
Janyce Henningson

edit :

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy