Story time...a tale of Music Production and Furniture Construction (DIY Desk Thread)

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: Story time...a tale of Music Production and Furniture Construction (DIY Desk Thread)Reply
Story time...a tale of Music Production and Furniture Construction (DIY Desk Thread)
Posted on: 27.08.2012 by Larue Macha
Once upon a time there was a young Australian man. He wanted to move out of home and having a below average Ikea desk, which didn't quite cut it for music production, he decided to buy a $3000 Music Production desk. That man, was not me.

So now that I've lost your attention I'll get down to business. In the next few months I will be moving out and having a Malm desk from Ikea (complete with a very sagged middle part) I decided that I wanted a new desk for dedicated Music Production. Being that I don't have $1500 AUD I decided I'd use my basic knowledge and high school woodworking ability and build my own desk.

I went through a few designs and after speaking to a few people I decided to use Trimble Sketch-Up to get a 3D view of what the desk would look like. Using Sketch-Up allowed me to design the desk really easy and is a great CAD like program (especially as it's free and has a generous learning curve.) After breaking down my design and editing it a bit I settled on the following design.

Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 10.48.36 PM.jpg

Anyway, I thought I'd share a journal in this thread of how I'm making the desk (complete with photo's) for any who are interested.

I was originally going to build the desk out of MDF with a veneer on the desktop (as it's cheap) but I wanted to stain the desk a mahogany colour and therefore needed something that actually stains. I ended up going with a laminated Pine panel (30 mm) for the top part of the desk and then 17 mm Pine Plywood that is structurally graded. I picked the wood up and got it cut by Bunnings (the local hardware store.) This let me put the wood in my car and saved me time messing around with a circular saw when I got home.

I drew up the legs and used a jigsaw to cut the back leg bit out. The intention of this is to put drawers in the bottom parts but make it able to fit racks mounted vertically if i need it. I had a big offcut from the Pine Panelling and decided to use it as a brace for the legs. I made the slot for the brace tight so as to keep everything very solid.

IMG_20120826_095915.jpg

Once I drew and then cut the first leg, I used that as a template to cut all the others.

IMG_20120826_100347.jpg

Even without using any glue, screws or joins I could support my whole weight just on the support brace (about 95kg/210lbs). I placed the top onto the legs and brace to get a picture of how it would look and then cut out the sides and back of the keyboard box and placed that inside too. This is the product so far.

IMG_20120826_114852.jpg

I'll be keeping this thread up-to-date if people are interested and can supply plans or whatever if wanted.

Thanks for reading.

TLDR; Building a music production desk...look at the pictures.
Larue Macha
Once upon a time there was a young Australian man. He wanted to move out of home and having a below average Ikea desk, which didn't quite cut it for music production, he decided to buy a $3000 Music Production desk. That man, was not me.

So now that I've lost your attention I'll get down to business. In the next few months I will be moving out and having a Malm desk from Ikea (complete with a very sagged middle part) I decided that I wanted a new desk for dedicated Music Production. Being that I don't have $1500 AUD I decided I'd use my basic knowledge and high school woodworking ability and build my own desk.

I went through a few designs and after speaking to a few people I decided to use Trimble Sketch-Up to get a 3D view of what the desk would look like. Using Sketch-Up allowed me to design the desk really easy and is a great CAD like program (especially as it's free and has a generous learning curve.) After breaking down my design and editing it a bit I settled on the following design.

Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 10.48.36 PM.jpg

Anyway, I thought I'd share a journal in this thread of how I'm making the desk (complete with photo's) for any who are interested.

I was originally going to build the desk out of MDF with a veneer on the desktop (as it's cheap) but I wanted to stain the desk a mahogany colour and therefore needed something that actually stains. I ended up going with a laminated Pine panel (30 mm) for the top part of the desk and then 17 mm Pine Plywood that is structurally graded. I picked the wood up and got it cut by Bunnings (the local hardware store.) This let me put the wood in my car and saved me time messing around with a circular saw when I got home.

I drew up the legs and used a jigsaw to cut the back leg bit out. The intention of this is to put drawers in the bottom parts but make it able to fit racks mounted vertically if i need it. I had a big offcut from the Pine Panelling and decided to use it as a brace for the legs. I made the slot for the brace tight so as to keep everything very solid.

IMG_20120826_095915.jpg

Once I drew and then cut the first leg, I used that as a template to cut all the others.

IMG_20120826_100347.jpg

Even without using any glue, screws or joins I could support my whole weight just on the support brace (about 95kg/210lbs). I placed the top onto the legs and brace to get a picture of how it would look and then cut out the sides and back of the keyboard box and placed that inside too. This is the product so far.

IMG_20120826_114852.jpg

I'll be keeping this thread up-to-date if people are interested and can supply plans or whatever if wanted.

Thanks for reading.

TLDR; Building a music production desk...look at the pictures.
Larue Macha
Thanks all, will try and keep it updated as regularly as I work on it (a bit slow at the moment due to work and it being at my dad's place on the other side of town.)
Erich Vallabhaneni
looks good man!!
Lynetta Stanislav
This is great can't wait to see the finished desk , believe of doing something similar myself
Len Lukawski
Loving this.
Random X
Moving this to Show your setup.
Leeanna Ayla
Looks great so far.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy