Arkaei's Setup

Arkaei's Setup
Posted on: 17.10.2012 by Dominque Kuban
I played a liveset at VuuV Festival again this year. for those who don't know, this is essentially the mother of all Goa festivals in germany; I've played there two years in a row now, both times in the chillout area (I enjoy listening to Goa but don't really spin it). here's my setup from the chillout tent. we had a nice funktion one PA and a lot of beautiful, relaxed people...

anyway, here's the setup: IBM W701 running Ableton Live (successfully used the 64bit beta), RME Fireface 400, the mighty APC 80, an Access Virus TI desktop, an ipad3 running OmniTR (a remote app for spectrasonics' Omnisphere synth), and a VCI-400 with an IBM T61p running Traktor Scratch Pro for the DJ set I played after the live part. special nerd bonus for using an android phone as a WiFi hub between the ipad and the W701 (they don't play nice otherwise).

Matt Kane
and let me add something: RAY IS THE FUCKIN GOD OF COFFEE! you won
Matt Kane
Matt Kane
Matt Kane
Dominque Kuban
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Holy hell in a hand basket, I am so coming over to your place. I'll bring beer.
you are most welcome bed & breakfast provided, especially in exchange for beer.
Dominque Kuban
Nominations close tomorrow so not much time left!
okay... then it's a good thing that I just finished setting up, I guess

in the words of Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time: dinner is served, bitches.

gear L>R: 2x Technics SL1210 mk5 + Ecler Nuo4 + Sennheiser HD25 + Vestax PDX3000 mk2 (S120) + Electrix Tweaker + NI Z2 with DJTT Chroma Caps + Electrix Tweaker + Moog Etherwave+ CV Theremin + Korg Monotron Duo + Korg Monotron + Sennheiser HD25 + Ecler Evo5 (in flightcase) + Access Virus TI + MPC Reinaissance + IBM W701 + Akai MAX49 + iPad3/Lemur + APC80.

here's a closeup of the twin tweakz2:

Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by arkaei
I'll try to step up the game this week-end - still waiting for one unit to arrive... and then I may have to stitch together a panorama shot of it all. it's gonna be a pain, but a feature on DJTT is certainly worth the trouble. not to mention your 10$!
Dominque Kuban
Originally Posted by Rukks
How are you liking the tweaker/what are you using it for?
to unleash the bassacre, of course:

Think it would ever work as a midi mixer?
I believe it can work as a MIDI mixer. in fact, the default traktor mapping it ships with is essentially a "daily bread" 2 channel mixer layout that works well considering its purpose (but of course I've made my own, like most of us would), and the ableton remote script consists of two parts - one of which is a dynamic 2 channel mixer that you can move around a liveset. for a big set structure with dozens of tracks, the tweaker is clearly too small, but if you use it as a simple trigger box for a bunch of oneshots and loops to enrich your DJ set it's pretty close to perfection (I say "pretty close" because there's no such thing as a "perfect" controller).

I've played quite a few gigs using just the tweaker since getting the prototype and it was definitely cool on its own, but in the setup I'm building now both tweakers will end up as add-on units. I really like the fact that it has physical MIDI I/O besides USB, there are a number of applications for that (and it's not as constrained as maschine where you have to choose between USB OR MIDI in controller mode, you can actually use both in one template). syncing different programs is obvious, but then there's the PDX3000 which can essentially be turned into a Controller One this way...
Dominque Kuban
Originally Posted by Jester
Hi arkaei, one setup thread per member please, i went ahead and merged your threads.
oh! sorry. and thanks

p.s i have $10 on you winning our competition so you better win mate
I'll try to step up the game this week-end - still waiting for one unit to arrive... and then I may have to stitch together a panorama shot of it all. it's gonna be a pain, but a feature on DJTT is certainly worth the trouble. not to mention your 10$!
Renate Mayeur
don't know what to say... but this is soooo impressive!
Random X
I'm not worthy....
Matt Kane
Dominque Kuban
you are most welcome bed & breakfast provided, especially in exchange for beer.
Tatum Ansaldo
Dominque Kuban
okay... then it's a good thing that I just finished setting up, I guess

in the words of Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time: dinner is served, bitches.

gear L>R: 2x Technics SL1210 mk5 + Ecler Nuo4 + Sennheiser HD25 + Vestax PDX3000 mk2 (S120) + Electrix Tweaker + NI Z2 with DJTT Chroma Caps + Electrix Tweaker + Moog Etherwave+ CV Theremin + Korg Monotron Duo + Korg Monotron + Sennheiser HD25 + Ecler Evo5 (in flightcase) + Access Virus TI + MPC Reinaissance + IBM W701 + Akai MAX49 + iPad3/Lemur + APC80.

here's a closeup of the twin tweakz2:

Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by arkaei
Dominque Kuban
to unleash the bassacre, of course:

I believe it can work as a MIDI mixer. in fact, the default traktor mapping it ships with is essentially a "daily bread" 2 channel mixer layout that works well considering its purpose (but of course I've made my own, like most of us would), and the ableton remote script consists of two parts - one of which is a dynamic 2 channel mixer that you can move around a liveset. for a big set structure with dozens of tracks, the tweaker is clearly too small, but if you use it as a simple trigger box for a bunch of oneshots and loops to enrich your DJ set it's pretty close to perfection (I say "pretty close" because there's no such thing as a "perfect" controller).

I've played quite a few gigs using just the tweaker since getting the prototype and it was definitely cool on its own, but in the setup I'm building now both tweakers will end up as add-on units. I really like the fact that it has physical MIDI I/O besides USB, there are a number of applications for that (and it's not as constrained as maschine where you have to choose between USB OR MIDI in controller mode, you can actually use both in one template). syncing different programs is obvious, but then there's the PDX3000 which can essentially be turned into a Controller One this way...
Dominque Kuban
Hi arkaei, one setup thread per member please, i went ahead and merged your threads.
oh! sorry. and thanks

Latoria Kavulich
Hi arkaei, one setup thread per member please, i went ahead and merged your threads. Cheers,J

Lang Abriel

Caleb Demillo
Nice. Like the apc deal.
Erich Vallabhaneni
Wow great setup
Judi Sissel
Nominated for the Gear thread, again... lol. Looks right at home
Dominque Kuban

I'm in the middle of moving, just set up part of my gear in the new apt...

access virus TI desktop
akai MPC reinaissance
ibm w701
rme fireface 400
akai max49
electrix tweaker
ipad3 + lemur
apc80
electrix tweaker
Dominque Kuban
thank you guys!
Estrella Rozzo
Totally worth the nomination!
Latoria Kavulich
Nominated .. (Psy Bias)

http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=60404
Dominque Kuban
I was hoping never to see this video again, ever. I was feeling like shit when we shot it (was actually sick), so I wasn't really concentrated and sputed ridiculous stuff all the way through. but hey, if you mute the sound you can see every step
Estrella Rozzo
Originally Posted by dfinch805
It's a 40 and a 20 right? How are you holding them together? Looks awesome
Dominque Kuban
Originally Posted by dfinch805
you open them up (as in: disassemble completely), remove the side panels, cut off protruding plastic, connect the units on the inside with bolts. on the outside, you attach a steel plate to the bottom. rock solid build, and due to combination mode it works like one big APC by default
Michell Wehrmeyer
Dominque Kuban
Originally Posted by botstein
Sweet! How do you like Omnisphere for live use? I've been believeing about picking it up.
judging from your signature we have a lot in common setup-wise, so I believe you may like it in my opinion omnisphere is excellent for live, but there's no way around omniTR unless you want to just fire off presets (in which case you can just freeze the tracks). also, if you're playing longer sets you will either have to reload stuff (omnisphere has multitibral presets with up to 8 stereo channels) or just use multiple instances. in either case, I highly recommend SSDs in your stage laptop. but don't underestimate it just because it's primarily a sample-based synth; it has insane capabilities in terms of regular synthesis and WILL take a load out of your CPU when you go crazy with modulations and fx. but it has never ever crashed on me, not even since I've gone with the ableton 64bit beta.
Ervin Calvery
Sweet! How do you like Omnisphere for live use? I've been believeing about picking it up.
Dominque Kuban
Originally Posted by Destiny
Loving the APC80. It's always a big win when people kinda 'make' their own modded gear.
thank you the next cosmetic mod I make will be called the TTWWEEAAKKEERR... or maybe TWIN TWEAKS. yeah, that sounds cool.
Estrella Rozzo
Loving the APC80. It's always a big win when people kinda 'make' their own modded gear.
Random X
w00t so excellent!

(question was asked through FB)
Dominque Kuban
Thanks I believe we both have setups that are perfect for what we do, maybe next time you're in the UK we can hook up and you can give me an ableton lesson!
each one teach one! I may be in birmingham on dec 15th for a gig with a few other IDA champs, it's not confirmed yet (I wish I could drop names, really awesome people on the line up so far but it's all "TBC" at the moment)... when I'm booked to play it's usually really difficult to squeeze in a few extra hours, but I'll try and let you know if that's OK. can we connect via facebook ? my account is here.
Tatum Ansaldo
Thanks I believe we both have setups that are perfect for what we do, maybe next time you're in the UK we can hook up and you can give me an ableton lesson!
Dominque Kuban
JUST - TOO - AWESOME

thank you! so is your setup pretty damn nice combination!
Tatum Ansaldo
JUST - TOO - AWESOME

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy