Wuz's Setup History

Wuz's Setup History
Posted on: 10.11.2012 by cala mar
So I stumbled upon a photo of my old setup from April 2008 and figured I would throw up a progression of my gear over the years. Being a proud owner of a crappy camera phone is the only thing that hasn't changed.

April 2008:
The beginning, the BCD3000, with the release of Traktor Pro 1 a M-Audio XSession Pro (unpictured) was picked up for effects, this was replaced when a second hand Korg PadKontrol (also unpictured) came up for grabs.

February 2009:
With the BCD3000 now a year and a half old a volume fader started to glitch out and an investment was made into something a bit more solid, the VCI-100 with an Audio Kontrol 1, the PadKontrol remained. A proper Digital Camera seems to have made an appearance too.

Later that year:
The PadKontrol was resold in favour of a Nanopad with a new roadcase and portability in mind.

This shot was taken for the sale of the gear after a Xone 1D/2D were aquired from two DJ store sales, the pads on the Nanopad had failed so it was put aside for the Nanokey that was a birthday present. No XY Pad, a sad day indeed. The nanokey was fine for hot cues/gridding.

After owning the VCI100 I had gotten a taste for quality metal products, the roadcase from the VCI100 housed the new gear but this was short lived when the desire for external mixing became apparent.

The lust for XY pads re-ignited and a second Nanopad was obtained for next to nothing, they were butchered and added to the setup.

Along with a Xone 22 and a roadcase to suit (modified slightly as it was designed for smaller Pioneer players)

Again the Korg products seemed to fail intermittently (perhaps because two thirds of them was missing ) A ex-display Vestax PadONE was obtained at a reasonable price - with no regret at all, this thing is built properly. This is still the current setup today.

The Production bug bit me earlier this year and a second hand Maschine was purchased along with a Keyboard. Amidst a steep learning curve and still working a full time job this setup is sadly the victim to procrastination a lot of the time but I'm working on it.

Everything together. The second Xone 22 is leftover as a master mixer from my old housemate which we went halves in to mix between our setups. This is still used today with the Maschine on CH1, Traktor on CH2, KRK 5's on Monitor out and PA on Master out.

This progression has seen my taste through Progressive House/Trance, to Full on Psytrance to my new love, Downtempo/Liquid Drum & Bass. It was probably not the most cost effective means to an end at times but it has been fun and hey, it's only money. I can safely say that you get what you pay for and nothing beats metal construction. That and I don't want to mix internally ever again.
cala mar
Originally Posted by boarderbas
The 4D is great if you want to have sessions with other people as it has an forest of I/O both analog an digital (22 Cannel USB soundcard!)

It's not at all pricy concidering waht you'd pay for just the mixer.

I'm currently setting mine up as both the soundcard for my DJ setup as my procucing setup in it's infancy.
looks like theres one still available for $1899, the full version filters are appealing but does it exhibit the same midi bugs as the 1D/2D?

tbh the lights and control combinations on the K2's seem much more appealing now though, believeing about what I could do in terms of LED feedback is making me drool.
cala mar
Hi Wuz,

What a peculiar way to assemble a 3D

As a 4D owner I recommend it. Much more versatile (you wouldn't need the second :22) and you will have no need to relearn your gear !
This setup stemmed from a desire for the 3D (before the 4D even came out) in the end the 4D came out and retail was over $3000, the 22/1D/2D were all aquired for about $1500-1600 (all new). A while ago the 4D dropped to around $1900-2000 and I was tempted to make the change but really couldn't justify it. the K2's have my eye now but I love the quality from the 2D's soundcard and I have the 1D routed via midi cables to the 2D and powered by a butchered USB cable - So it's still only one USB plug for all of the Xone devices. I want to get a new laptop but the one I'm looking at has Windows 8 preloaded, which I'm willing to give a try but just waiting for A&H to release Windows 8 Drivers for the 2D. This is critical as it is the audio and midi hub for the entire setup.

Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
did you tought the Padkontrol's led's and other buttons where mappable to?
yes that was a bit of a disappointment. But I bought it on a whim second hand for $150 - a steal at the time (prior to Korg releasing the black version) and I had no trouble getting $150 back for it
Random X
Originally Posted by Wuz
you too dude, what can I say, got a bit lost for a while.
No worries, as long as you have enjoyed it.
cala mar
Originally Posted by tekki
Heyyyy, nice to see you back here.
cala mar
Originally Posted by Otacon
great setup timeline!!
cheers!

Originally Posted by epikeddie
Great setup! I feel like I'm also at the phase where I'm wanting modular gear with external mixing!
Modular is nice and flexible, time to start mixer shopping
cala mar
So I stumbled upon a photo of my old setup from April 2008 and figured I would throw up a progression of my gear over the years. Being a proud owner of a crappy camera phone is the only thing that hasn't changed.

April 2008:
The beginning, the BCD3000, with the release of Traktor Pro 1 a M-Audio XSession Pro (unpictured) was picked up for effects, this was replaced when a second hand Korg PadKontrol (also unpictured) came up for grabs.

February 2009:
With the BCD3000 now a year and a half old a volume fader started to glitch out and an investment was made into something a bit more solid, the VCI-100 with an Audio Kontrol 1, the PadKontrol remained. A proper Digital Camera seems to have made an appearance too.

Later that year:
The PadKontrol was resold in favour of a Nanopad with a new roadcase and portability in mind.

This shot was taken for the sale of the gear after a Xone 1D/2D were aquired from two DJ store sales, the pads on the Nanopad had failed so it was put aside for the Nanokey that was a birthday present. No XY Pad, a sad day indeed. The nanokey was fine for hot cues/gridding.

After owning the VCI100 I had gotten a taste for quality metal products, the roadcase from the VCI100 housed the new gear but this was short lived when the desire for external mixing became apparent.

The lust for XY pads re-ignited and a second Nanopad was obtained for next to nothing, they were butchered and added to the setup.

Along with a Xone 22 and a roadcase to suit (modified slightly as it was designed for smaller Pioneer players)

Again the Korg products seemed to fail intermittently (perhaps because two thirds of them was missing ) A ex-display Vestax PadONE was obtained at a reasonable price - with no regret at all, this thing is built properly. This is still the current setup today.

The Production bug bit me earlier this year and a second hand Maschine was purchased along with a Keyboard. Amidst a steep learning curve and still working a full time job this setup is sadly the victim to procrastination a lot of the time but I'm working on it.

Everything together. The second Xone 22 is leftover as a master mixer from my old housemate which we went halves in to mix between our setups. This is still used today with the Maschine on CH1, Traktor on CH2, KRK 5's on Monitor out and PA on Master out.

This progression has seen my taste through Progressive House/Trance, to Full on Psytrance to my new love, Downtempo/Liquid Drum & Bass. It was probably not the most cost effective means to an end at times but it has been fun and hey, it's only money. I can safely say that you get what you pay for and nothing beats metal construction. That and I don't want to mix internally ever again.
cala mar
there was a well documented issue with the 1D/2D where any endless encoder and the jogwheel itself could send off input data from one another. Depending on what it was mapped to this could create an unwanted effect. For example I use one of the endless encoders to browse the collection with a press of the same encoder to load the selected track. Every now and then as a result one of the other encoders that I use will send scroll data and while I don't specifically touch the mapped encoder the selected item in the collection will move up or down involuntarily. I have taken this into account by using a shift button that must be held for the jog wheel to pitch bend. The only actions i will map to the encoders directly without a shift button are actions that don't effect sound (loop length select, track select etc).

this was evident at least one or two midi firmware version ago and to my knowledge hasn't been fixed. with this considered I might choose a pair of K2's over a well priced 4D should I decide to upgrade.

It's a pain in the arse but regardless I still love these control surfaces for their durability. Perhaps the issue isn't even evident in the 4D, I never researched it that far, but it definitely remains in the 1D/2D.
Evia Nitch
Very true. The K2 is more "sexy".

I'm unsure what midi bigs you mean. They fixed the lighpipe issue with the 4D. It's not sexy, but its also unequalled in terms of possibilities.

I bought both my 4D and 3D secondhand. Look for someone who bought it and was intimidated by it to the extend he did not get it working.

My 4D came from a pretty bad place. I essentially bought it dirty and dusty for the same money I sold my mint 3D (Sold €775, bought €850, about 1,5 years ago). But as these things are built to last, after a good cleaning it was as new.

Update the firmware! They still release regular updates.
cala mar
The 4D is great if you want to have sessions with other people as it has an forest of I/O both analog an digital (22 Cannel USB soundcard!)

I'm currently setting mine up as both the soundcard for my DJ setup as my procucing setup in it's infancy.
looks like theres one still available for $1899, the full version filters are appealing but does it exhibit the same midi bugs as the 1D/2D?

tbh the lights and control combinations on the K2's seem much more appealing now though, believeing about what I could do in terms of LED feedback is making me drool.
Evia Nitch

cala mar
Hi Wuz,

As a 4D owner I recommend it. Much more versatile (you wouldn't need the second :22) and you will have no need to relearn your gear !
This setup stemmed from a desire for the 3D (before the 4D even came out) in the end the 4D came out and retail was over $3000, the 22/1D/2D were all aquired for about $1500-1600 (all new). A while ago the 4D dropped to around $1900-2000 and I was tempted to make the change but really couldn't justify it. the K2's have my eye now but I love the quality from the 2D's soundcard and I have the 1D routed via midi cables to the 2D and powered by a butchered USB cable - So it's still only one USB plug for all of the Xone devices. I want to get a new laptop but the one I'm looking at has Windows 8 preloaded, which I'm willing to give a try but just waiting for A&H to release Windows 8 Drivers for the 2D. This is critical as it is the audio and midi hub for the entire setup.

Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
yes that was a bit of a disappointment. But I bought it on a whim second hand for $150 - a steal at the time (prior to Korg releasing the black version) and I had no trouble getting $150 back for it
Random X
Originally Posted by Wuz
No worries, as long as you have enjoyed it.
Era Roka
Evia Nitch
Hi Wuz,

cala mar
Originally Posted by tekki
Random X
cala mar
Originally Posted by Otacon
great setup timeline!!
cheers!

Originally Posted by epikeddie
Great setup! I feel like I'm also at the phase where I'm wanting modular gear with external mixing!
Modular is nice and flexible, time to start mixer shopping
Merideth Garnder
Erich Vallabhaneni
great setup timeline!!

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy