Half-done set-up...

Half-done set-up...
Posted on: 30.11.2012 by dan samo
So for the last month I've totally switched up my DJ space from a Kontrol S4 with an M3D for vinyl listening and an extra control deck, to a full analogue set-up... I mainly wanted to experience the difference in sound and to 'go back to basics'. I've always been a bit of a record collector so this felt like the right step.

So this was my modest university based set-up. I didn't have much room, nor much money for gear/records. The S4 was great... but never quite enough. Even as a top-end controller, it never really escaped the plasticky- and gimmick-y feeling that I've always felt with controllers.

unisetup.jpg

So, this has then evolved - with the complete strip+servicing of an old deck, new carts, new cans, mats, minor replacements etc. - to this:

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I pretty much straight-swapped the S4 for the Xone 42 - which I absolutely love. No regrets on buying this mixer, it's gorgeous in every single way. I fitted an audiophile cable to the HD-25's and they really boom! Though it was a bit of an expensive indulgence, I must admit.

My set-up at the moment however is far from ideal...

image_1354053471146265.jpg

As you can see from this photo, the speakers need to be moved up to the IKEA shelving above. Unfortunately the max load weight on that free-standing shelf I got is pathetic, so I'm loading up a new set of shelves this weekend to get the speakers clear and set-up with a space/stage that they deserve to shine. Same with the monitor.

Still to purchase yet:

Replacement tone-arm on my M3D (bearings failing).
Audio 8 interface to get it DVS ready.
Kontrol X1 for extras, in-software effects, and easier transport controls.

Cheers, I'll keep you posted!
dan samo
So for the last month I've totally switched up my DJ space from a Kontrol S4 with an M3D for vinyl listening and an extra control deck, to a full analogue set-up... I mainly wanted to experience the difference in sound and to 'go back to basics'. I've always been a bit of a record collector so this felt like the right step.

So this was my modest university based set-up. I didn't have much room, nor much money for gear/records. The S4 was great... but never quite enough. Even as a top-end controller, it never really escaped the plasticky- and gimmick-y feeling that I've always felt with controllers.

unisetup.jpg

So, this has then evolved - with the complete strip+servicing of an old deck, new carts, new cans, mats, minor replacements etc. - to this:

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I pretty much straight-swapped the S4 for the Xone 42 - which I absolutely love. No regrets on buying this mixer, it's gorgeous in every single way. I fitted an audiophile cable to the HD-25's and they really boom! Though it was a bit of an expensive indulgence, I must admit.

My set-up at the moment however is far from ideal...

image_1354053471146265.jpg

As you can see from this photo, the speakers need to be moved up to the IKEA shelving above. Unfortunately the max load weight on that free-standing shelf I got is pathetic, so I'm loading up a new set of shelves this weekend to get the speakers clear and set-up with a space/stage that they deserve to shine. Same with the monitor.

Still to purchase yet:

Replacement tone-arm on my M3D (bearings failing).
Audio 8 interface to get it DVS ready.
Kontrol X1 for extras, in-software effects, and easier transport controls.

Cheers, I'll keep you posted!
Kasandra Kreindler
once you get your X1 and Audio 8 you will love this setup all hands on, i dont even use much of all my laptop (have the A8, Xone 42, 2x 1200 MK5s)
Lynell Piechocinski
Great setup
Estrella Rozzo
Looks great! Good luck on your future purchases. I'm sure it'll be lots of fun.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy