xs2man's set-up

xs2man's set-up
Posted on: 20.02.2012 by Tamela Batara
Well, new here, so this is my first post until I get more acquainted with the community .

Bought my first decks back in 1998 or there abouts. Got a set of 1210 mk2's and spent the next 6-8 years building up a vinyl collection. Now have about 2500 records, mostly progressive, tribal, breaks and trance.

Took a break for a few years while I went back to uni (got too mashed and played the decks too much to pass first time round). Anyway, when I finished uni, I spent too much time on my career, and when I finally decided to try my hand again, things had moved on too much, and couldn't get vinyl locally.

So, I invested a little. My current set-up is as follows:

2 x Pioneer CDJ350
1 x Pioneer DJM 800
1 x Sennheisser HD25 1-II
Cheapo Dell Optiplex PC running Audacity for recording.

I'm currently experimenting with Virtual DJ and Traktor just now. Haven#t decided if I will even use either of them, just playing about.

I still have the 1210's, with Gold Concorde needles, but they are in the coffin. A lack of space at the moment restricts me a little.

Its a mess just now, but here are some pics.

Comments welcome.
Tamela Batara
Ha neither did I (have money). Did a deal with my, errrrrr...... Chemistry tutor???? Back in Uni (1997). It took 2 student loans, to buy my 1210's, one at a time. So for 3-4 months I was running one 1210, a
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by zimfella
Would like to hear pre db4 mixes and new one's. A lot of DJs say it's changed their mixing style.
Originally Posted by xs2man
Well, DB4 ordered. Along with the XD253 headphones. And my Timecoded vinyl pack. Hopefully have everything set-up for the weekend.
Congrats on the upgrade! I am listening to your latest mix as I type this and LOVING it! Zimfella is right, you now have a tool that really helps you express your style and sound. The things that really took me time to wrap my head around was the extra ability the input matrix gives you and the FX being in their own world. Remember that most of the effects on the DB4 are frequency adjustable... :mind blown: That plus the ISO or Filter EQ mode is just great!

If you haven't already checked out Xone community s there are a few bits of great info on there. Mark EG did a youtube series about the effects a couple of months back.

Enjoy! I am sure you will
Tamela Batara
It has software phonos. Soft RIAA can be selected for channels 1 & 4 so you can use TT's on all 4 channels.

So decks 2 & 3 are used as Traktor decks just now, and 1 & 4 are used for vinyl. I will get another couple timecoded discs for 1&4 though next year...
Edwina Fagel
DB4 has only 2 phono inputs so how your'e using the additional 2 decks?
Shan Bauerly
4 decks, eh? Wish I had the hands for that. Super nice rig.
Tamela Batara
Still no cable management. Having too much fun I'm afraid. However, a wee addition to the set-up...

Why sir, that looks suspiciously like an extra set of 1210's...

Tamela Batara
Right. Wee update time.

The Technics amp you see above doesn't work anymore After over 20 years of solid service, it's just not cutting it anymore. So had a quick look on ebay, and picked up a NAD SIA 310 for relative cheapness. That'll hopefully keep me going a few years.

In other news, I finally got my DB4 set up as the soundcard for Traktor DVS. While the mixer isn't certified for Traktor, I believe it to be a software issue rather than hardware issue. Where there is a will there is a way. And yes, I WILL be needing to tidy up the cable routing. But for just now, I'm super happy I have it all working as I want.

Tamela Batara
First DB4 mix done and uploaded.

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

Tamela Batara
Some cable management might be necessary. And LOADS of practise.

Hanna Ridenbaugh
cool
Tamela Batara
Not actually had anything set up yet. Re-installed windows last evening and went to bed. Then had to fire about today getting my old amp off the old dear.

Only just back in the door, and will have to see to the bairns and wife before I get a chance to play

Was just about to PM you to tell you I have it. Will keep you updated (I mean pick your brains), once I get a chance to hook everything up. Getting there.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
How you getting on with the contour?
Tamela Batara
Yes, I see what your saying, but the plan for the controller is just for the actual loading of tracks. The hopefully will be actually controlled by the 1210's using scratch. So wanted the 1210's closer to the mixer.
Ming Devis
Sweet set up dude love the way its progressed! Maybe keep the midi controller next to the mixer? Seems to make more sense to me, each to their own though.
Tamela Batara
Yes, I am very much looking forward to getting to grips with it.

JUST got the DB4 today, so a little re-shuffle of my office is required for the way I would like everything to go. It's sooooo exciting getting new gear.

But, its getting late, and I don't have my old amp available for setting up properly, so no messing about with it toevening . Booooooo.

BUT, I have thrown an old 300 GB HDD into my music PC, so reinstalling that just now, then heading to bed. But here is a quick sneak preview of how the set-up will play out (Music PC will be on the ledge above the decks).

So, I had an old CDJ 500 sitting about gathering dust. Dusted it off, and positioned it. Also bought a Reloop controller off here to keep me going until I decide on what real CDJ's I will be going for (Pioneer better hurry up nexusing the 900's). And obviously the DB4 flanked by the 1210's.

So a couple teaser photos until I get things a bit more sorted.

Hopefully be up and running tomorrow.
Judi Sissel
HAHA... We all come from similar, yet different, backgrounds don't we. I believe I may have met your 'chemistry tutor' here state side.

I know you're probably anxious enough as it is, but I have to tell you the 2.0 firmware is ridiculous!
Tamela Batara
Ha neither did I (have money). Did a deal with my, errrrrr...... Chemistry tutor???? Back in Uni (1997). It took 2 student loans, to buy my 1210's, one at a time. So for 3-4 months I was running one 1210, a
Judi Sissel
miniMORE!!! lol. Loving the genre right now, been digging deep and finding the most amazing sounds coming out of my speakers.

I love sync, but then again i've never felt a set of 1200's rotating against my fingers. I didn't come up on, well... money, till I already decided that I was going to do the whole digital route. A part of me still wants to get techs or CDJ's, but the DB4 took their place. Maybe in the future. I respect anyone who has go respect for the music and DJ'ing as an art, on any platform.

Actually still listening to your channel, the 002 mix. Will look out for the new mix.
Tamela Batara
Cheers for the heads up. Will have a look on the community s.

I did see the Mark EG videos. It was a close call between the DB2 and DB4, not least because of the price difference. But I figured 4 fx engines, switches for EQ/ISO/Filter and looping would swing it for me. Cannot wait.

Really glad you are enjoying my mix. I don't play often, and I hate using sync, so probably a little rusty in places, but I always enjoy it. Don't know my tunes well enough though, and my sets on mixcloud are never programmed, so just live, on the fly mixing. Which is why I doubt I would be much use playing out, lol.

Saying that, I can play "the hardest tune" followed by "the hardest tune", which is what most of the punters around here want. But meh to that. I prefer to play slower, and used to be more twisted. Next mix will either be progressive, or completely minimal.

Will upload my first DB4 mix regardless of how it goes though. Watch that space (mixcloud, lol).
Judi Sissel
Originally Posted by zimfella
Would like to hear pre db4 mixes and new one's. A lot of DJs say it's changed their mixing style.
Well, DB4 ordered. Along with the XD253 headphones. And my Timecoded vinyl pack. Hopefully have everything set-up for the weekend.
Congrats on the upgrade! I am listening to your latest mix as I type this and LOVING it! Zimfella is right, you now have a tool that really helps you express your style and sound. The things that really took me time to wrap my head around was the extra ability the input matrix gives you and the FX being in their own world. Remember that most of the effects on the DB4 are frequency adjustable... :mind blown: That plus the ISO or Filter EQ mode is just great!

If you haven't already checked out Xone community s there are a few bits of great info on there. Mark EG did a youtube series about the effects a couple of months back.

Enjoy! I am sure you will
Tamela Batara

Now to swap the HDD in my music PC as its only 80GB and I currently have way more than that in MP3's. Time for a cheeky wipe, and re-install to make sure its all fresh as...

Then swap the office around a bit and create some extra space from somewhere.

Dunno what I'm going to do with my 2 pairs of HD25's now???
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Lol, I like your style
Tamela Batara
Ha ha ha. Thats one approach. I tend to use the coke and hookers line more, but eventually that'll likely lead to a divorce.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Coolest, will have a listen to your mixes at work today. Would like to hear pre db4 mixes and new one's. A lot of DJs say it's changed their mixing style. Good luck with the missus everytime my missus complains about new gear, I just say ok I'll spend the money on buying chicks drinks when I go out next instead. That shuts her up
Tamela Batara
No. Just in my office for fun.

I played in public twice. Once at a birthday party for a mate, and another time me and my cousin hired a venue, didn't advertise properly and 30 of our friends showed up, lol.

Was great fun though. Had a blast. That was about 8 years ago mind. But never really did any more with it. Just a cheeky wee hobby for me, when the wife doesn't see what I'm spending...
Hanna Ridenbaugh
oh man, got my mouth watering with your new setup on it's way. DB4, fk yeah! Do you play at clubs?
Tamela Batara
Thanks zimfella.

The CDJ's and DJM are now gone. So I have 2 x 1210's and no mixer at the moment.

Sold the CDJ/DJM set-up to fund a DB4. That will hopefully get ordered tomorrow. Will have to look for the Traktor Hack to play timecodes on the DB4 though.

I am gonna use the mixarchitekt tsi for Traktor, but thought the controller might be a nice wee addition for loading up tracks to send to the mixer until I get the new CDJ's.

On that front, I was originally believeing of going for the 2000 nexus'. However, they seem to be a bit buggy at the moment. And it is a lot of coin. So will hold off until next year. See how busy I am at work (new job), and take it from there. If work is busy enough to survive, I get a fat payout from the Dutch government around July, so that'll easily cover new CDJ's. In the meantime, I will be routing Traktor through the mixer, hopefully with timecode control.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
very nice setup, the reloop contour is going to fit perfectly in there.
Dori Specht
Very nice setup man. You have a very similar problem to me; no space! I know how it feels! My MK2 sits because I have no room!
Patty Mcgilbra
for most "normal" people that CDJ would be perfectly fine sitting there a few cm further out than the rest...but I agree I'd hate to have that happen with my setup

very nice setup anyway
Tamela Batara
Yeah. I do have enough space in the games room for it all to sit quite nicely, but the office is better as its the opposite side of the house to the bedroom, rather than below it. So I can play them in the office, as loud as I want, at any time of day, and get no hassle.

The set-up will evolve in time though. I already have more plans.
Palma Hanslip
Nice looking setup made! Unlucky about the space though! Always a evening mare!
Tamela Batara
Cheers.

Well, when I was looking for CDJ's a few months ago I set myself a budget. Absolutely no more than
Dione Haimes
Nice clean setup,
not a fan of the CDJ350's 2bh but each to their own

Where did you get the gold concordes?!
Tamela Batara

Turns out I'm about 2-3 cm short in that space to have the DJM, CDJs and 1210's (Battle style). Gutted is an understatement.
Unfortunately, already tried that.
Freddie Henrichs
Try the tables in 'battle mode'!
Tamela Batara
Well, since setting up the last time, I tried a little switching around.

Turns out I'm about 2-3 cm short in that space to have the DJM, CDJs and 1210's (Battle style). Gutted is an understatement.

Will have to sort out some deck stands for the CDJ's to bring them above the turntables and have everything set out correctly. In the meantime though, I will have to live with this dodgy set-up. But at least I can now utilise my entire music collection now when I'm mixing.

Here are some (horrible quality phone) pics:

Set up my 1210's

With my DJM

Can get a cheeky CDJ in one corner

But not the other

Still, now have 4 decks to play with, so not all bad. And can finally start getting some of that vinyl ripped to mp3.
Tamela Batara
Well, I am quite liking my 350s at the moment. I just don't really have the room for setting up the 1210's too. As you can see from the pics, it is a little tight in there.

Plus, I'm only using the 350's as controllers. I don't have any hardware for setting up the 1210's with timecodes. The 350's are only basic controllers, and I'm only really experimenting with using the software to get my mp3 collection to the 350s without usb sticks or hard-drives.

Once I have sorted out the space requirements, I will try to get the 350s and 1210's altogether through the DJM, using Traktor or VDJ (depending on what I prefer, I have only used VDJ once and never used Traktor yet) simply as a means of getting the music to the CDJs. I couldn't afford 900's or 2000's (well I could have, but it was a lot of cash to be spending 7 years since last playing decks) so I could have just used Rekordbox.

Thanks for the comments though. Isn't a cheap hobby. And you can only see about half my vinyl.
Inez Marcinik
Nice vinyl collection You should get traktor scratch/serato or such like so you can use your technics with your current music collection (that is of course unless you prefer the 350s)
Odis Stirewalt
haven't you tried timecode vinyl to control your dj software until yet or do you like it more to control it with the cdj350's ?

nice setup btw ;o)

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy