SKULLDUGGERY'S Set up

SKULLDUGGERY'S Set up
Posted on: 16.02.2013 by Adrienne Wilcoxen
What's happening everyone? I've been reading this community for a long time without registering but knew I had to change that as I'm looking for some advice on where to go to next. Ideally an IKEA DJ booth would be amazing to house all my gear, but I'm living in Japan at the moment, so buying large pieces of furniture is kind of out of the question.

I've been really into Drum & Bass music for a long time and since moving to Japan, I met a lot of fellow DNB heads who go me interested in DJing.
Anyway, to test the DJ waters without dumping too much cash, I started off by buying a Hercules MK4 midi controller.

IMG_0214.jpg

That was great to learn on and I realised that I needed to upgrade to something with more features. From being a long time reader of DJTT, I got hooked on the idea of the VCI 100 Firmware upgrade version. I sold the Hercules and got the VCI dirt cheap (Vestax is a Japanese company).

IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg

I mapped it to Traktor and got my first few gigs in a club using it. I loved how you could throw it in your backpack with a soundcard and basically set up anywhere. I used it for a while, but had some severe technical difficulties while playing at a club one evening . The PA system wasn't set up correctly and my set was cut very, very short.

All my mates here were using CDJs or turntables with Serato and I figured it was time for me to upgrade. As luck would have it, one friend had 2 very old, very dusty turntables and a Vestax mixer hiding in a haunted room in his house. (Apparently there's a Japanese ghost of a middle aged, friendly, woman in there).
I grabbed some of his to borrow records and a suitcase, jumped the subway and had a very interesting ride home. I also learned that turntables are HEAVY.

IMG_0614.JPG

Using the records, I learnt how to beatmatch and find cue points on vinyl. I also learned something else. Records are also HEAVY! As 100% of my music was digitial, Serato or Traktor seemed like a great option. I managed to pick up a used SL1 Serato box off a friend for $200. Then I went to the local hardware shop and bought a couple of cheap shelves and set up my first DJ table. Game on.

IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG

After using that set up for a few months, I fell in love with turntables and DVS. It also helped that my DJ heroes Andy C and Friction both use vinyl. I started scouting around the second hand shops here looking for cheap turntables, as Panasonic is another Japanese company and Technics sometimes go for really cheap.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by Skullduggery
my god! it looks even more amazing next to turntables than i thought very stoked to be picking this up soon, after zomo gets back to me on shipping something over to the US...
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Enter the DB4.

IMG_1384.jpgIMG_1402.jpg
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Got the 3rd turntable in there.
IMG_1374.jpg
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by sarasin
All you need now, is the InnoFader Pro in the Xone:22 and you have a FULL HOUSE sir.
Or sell the 22 and replace it with a 92/DB4 to hook in a 3rd turntable
But then I also need to get an A10 soundcard to have 4 deck DVS. It's crazy how a Serato SL4 is almost double the price of NI A10 and they do they same job.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by JesusJuice
dude you really found technics that cheap?!?! i believe we may have to work some kind of deal out... and nice setup man. i like your evolution process
Yeah, the prices are ridiculous in Japan. I found the set of MK5s in a second hand shop and thought for sure there must be something wrong with them. I checked the condition of them, the platter, pitch control, everything and they were perfect. I asked in my rubbish Japanese about the price and the staff member said that because there was no needle on the stylus they were selling them cheap hahaha . You just have to hunt around and check the second hand shops every month or so and hope you get lucky.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by MyUsername
Wow really nice setup, nice progression too.

My next mixer will also probably be a Xone:92 or DB2.
I believe if you 're really into effects get the DB4 or DB2 and if you're really into EQs get the 92.
Thanks mate. Here in Japan the price difference between the two isn't much at all and I believe I would use more effects if I had the DB4s on hand. Either way, I'll make the right choice haha.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Then I pickup up a 3rd turntable from a second hand shop. MK3 for just over $100 in perfect condition.
IMG_2621.jpg

Got some Dicers which makes life a breeze!
IMG_2742.jpg

This is my set up at the moment.
IMG_1366.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

Where to next? Well I need a 4 channel mixer to hook in the 3rd turntable and possible CDJ in the future. After much, much, much deliberation, I've come down to the Allen & Heath Xone 92 or DB4. I've read pages and pages of info about each mixer and am leaning towards the DB4.
Any thoughts?
Cheers.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
I found 2, 1200 MK5s in pristine condition for $100 each! Unheard of. I couldn't believe my luck.
IMG_0737.jpg

Then I decided to upgrade my mixer to something with 2 channels, good sound and reasonably priced. Enter the Xone 22
IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Crane laptop stand
IMG_2202.jpg

Next I had to get rid of the Logitech computer speakers in favour of some Rokit KRK 5s.
IMG_2287.jpg
Adrienne Wilcoxen
What's happening everyone? I've been reading this community for a long time without registering but knew I had to change that as I'm looking for some advice on where to go to next. Ideally an IKEA DJ booth would be amazing to house all my gear, but I'm living in Japan at the moment, so buying large pieces of furniture is kind of out of the question.

I've been really into Drum & Bass music for a long time and since moving to Japan, I met a lot of fellow DNB heads who go me interested in DJing.
Anyway, to test the DJ waters without dumping too much cash, I started off by buying a Hercules MK4 midi controller.

IMG_0214.jpg

That was great to learn on and I realised that I needed to upgrade to something with more features. From being a long time reader of DJTT, I got hooked on the idea of the VCI 100 Firmware upgrade version. I sold the Hercules and got the VCI dirt cheap (Vestax is a Japanese company).

IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg

I mapped it to Traktor and got my first few gigs in a club using it. I loved how you could throw it in your backpack with a soundcard and basically set up anywhere. I used it for a while, but had some severe technical difficulties while playing at a club one evening . The PA system wasn't set up correctly and my set was cut very, very short.

All my mates here were using CDJs or turntables with Serato and I figured it was time for me to upgrade. As luck would have it, one friend had 2 very old, very dusty turntables and a Vestax mixer hiding in a haunted room in his house. (Apparently there's a Japanese ghost of a middle aged, friendly, woman in there).
I grabbed some of his to borrow records and a suitcase, jumped the subway and had a very interesting ride home. I also learned that turntables are HEAVY.

IMG_0614.JPG

Using the records, I learnt how to beatmatch and find cue points on vinyl. I also learned something else. Records are also HEAVY! As 100% of my music was digitial, Serato or Traktor seemed like a great option. I managed to pick up a used SL1 Serato box off a friend for $200. Then I went to the local hardware shop and bought a couple of cheap shelves and set up my first DJ table. Game on.

IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG

After using that set up for a few months, I fell in love with turntables and DVS. It also helped that my DJ heroes Andy C and Friction both use vinyl. I started scouting around the second hand shops here looking for cheap turntables, as Panasonic is another Japanese company and Technics sometimes go for really cheap.
Kasandra Kreindler
Originally Posted by Skullduggery
my god! it looks even more amazing next to turntables than i thought very stoked to be picking this up soon, after zomo gets back to me on shipping something over to the US...
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Enter the DB4.

IMG_1384.jpgIMG_1402.jpg
Julia Hillock
Nice setup. I'll stick my two-penneth in and say that your money will be very well spent on a DB4
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Got the 3rd turntable in there.
IMG_1374.jpg
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by sarasin
All you need now, is the InnoFader Pro in the Xone:22 and you have a FULL HOUSE sir.
Or sell the 22 and replace it with a 92/DB4 to hook in a 3rd turntable
But then I also need to get an A10 soundcard to have 4 deck DVS. It's crazy how a Serato SL4 is almost double the price of NI A10 and they do they same job.
Lilliana Perris
Armanda Yankauskas
man... i would stock up on technics if thats the case.... lucky they are like 500 out here for mk2s.... i wonder if buying some off you would even be cheaper tho, seeing as it is japan and that far away
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by JesusJuice
dude you really found technics that cheap?!?! i believe we may have to work some kind of deal out... and nice setup man. i like your evolution process
Yeah, the prices are ridiculous in Japan. I found the set of MK5s in a second hand shop and thought for sure there must be something wrong with them. I checked the condition of them, the platter, pitch control, everything and they were perfect. I asked in my rubbish Japanese about the price and the staff member said that because there was no needle on the stylus they were selling them cheap hahaha . You just have to hunt around and check the second hand shops every month or so and hope you get lucky.
Armanda Yankauskas
Adrienne Wilcoxen
Originally Posted by MyUsername

I believe if you 're really into effects get the DB4 or DB2 and if you're really into EQs get the 92.
Thanks mate. Here in Japan the price difference between the two isn't much at all and I believe I would use more effects if I had the DB4s on hand. Either way, I'll make the right choice haha.
Nereida Jasnoch

Adrienne Wilcoxen
Then I pickup up a 3rd turntable from a second hand shop. MK3 for just over $100 in perfect condition.
IMG_2621.jpg

Got some Dicers which makes life a breeze!
IMG_2742.jpg

This is my set up at the moment.
IMG_1366.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

Where to next? Well I need a 4 channel mixer to hook in the 3rd turntable and possible CDJ in the future. After much, much, much deliberation, I've come down to the Allen & Heath Xone 92 or DB4. I've read pages and pages of info about each mixer and am leaning towards the DB4.
Any thoughts?
Cheers.
Adrienne Wilcoxen
I found 2, 1200 MK5s in pristine condition for $100 each! Unheard of. I couldn't believe my luck.
IMG_0737.jpg

Then I decided to upgrade my mixer to something with 2 channels, good sound and reasonably priced. Enter the Xone 22
IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Crane laptop stand
IMG_2202.jpg

Next I had to get rid of the Logitech computer speakers in favour of some Rokit KRK 5s.
IMG_2287.jpg

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy