Frank112916's deet lab set up

Frank112916's deet lab set up
Posted on: 24.02.2013 by Dino Hapgood
So I started djing two years ago with little knowledge and a lot of hope. Started out originally on an s4 and crappy reloop headphones, but then sold that to get this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361638907.450505.jpg

That's still my current setup for the most part. Love my dn x-1600 and tech 12s. Added the x1 a bit later on and Painted my tech-12s flat black. I bought hd-II headphones and now I've finally upgraded my monitors to something a but more...substantial...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361639024.050636.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361639053.067272.jpg

I did not realize quite how big the rp8s were when I ordered them. haha. Once I get my new apartment Ill be building myself a proper ikea setup and mini studio to do some production work. I kind of want to upgrade to a pio 900nxs but I believe the better route may be to get an rmx-1000. Someone give me some advice! I toyed around with getting cdj 2ks for a while but everyone says that's useless and a waste of money w/ traktor and I enjoy the laptop for the freedom and ability to mix dynamically.
Dino Hapgood
Originally Posted by maqish
well i just tried it with the advanced HID and that works as to be expected. Still believe that Mixvibes Cross is a bit more snappy but that could be because of the program being more lightweight than Traktor.

At least im glad that NI is getting more on point at least when it comes to cdj's
Yeah but with traktor and cdj 900/2000s you can get a db2 and not worry about time code! Haha.
Btw: if you want traktor to run faster, buy a solid state drive. It's the best purchase I've ever made for a computer.
Dino Hapgood
Mamaa. That guy was mean to me )

Ok as an owner of cdj900 i can tell that if you would want proper waveforms cdj2k is the only way to go. Or use it like i do with mixvibes cross which absolutely rocks. Cdj+traktor sucks bigtime.
I also own that dnx1600 and the only thing i miss is a per channel filter. I had my eye on the a&h db2 for a while but that one cannot be used for timecode, the buildin soundcard that is. I dont want to trade the comfort of not having to use a external soundcard with extra cables for timecode just because i want per channel filters. Mapping is not an option for me since i do not always use traktor.

So in a way i can relate to your problems. I will be keeping my eye on this thread..
What's wrong w/ cdjs and traktor now that there is full high resolution HID integration?
Dino Hapgood
Why not map 2 channels on the x1600 as midi for just the effects in traktor?
It's overly complicated and the workflow, even on an x1, is not intuitive enough for me. I just want to jump on the decks and play - not fiddle around for hours trying to figure out what each minute adjustment on each one of the three knobs, to the echo effect, will make it sound exactly how it does on my mixer when I just twist the dry/wet.

Not to mention I get these weird pops and drop outs engaging and disengaging effects which is odd because I have a MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram, a solid state drive, and more than enough horsepower on my CPU to handle turning on one effect.

Then, to get post fader I have to mix in the box. There is something about it that I hate. The fader curves aren't adjustable, I have to go into the setting to adjust the xfader curve (unless I map a knob to do something it was never intended for). All of this access is perfectly laid out on a mixer because they are forced to do so if they want to offer such functionality. Then there is the impossible task of properly gain staging due to the absolutely useless vue meters in traktor (which were equally useless after I fully mapped the pre-fader vue meter to the mixer and which was the absolute worst experience I've ever had because NI has opted to make the process as tedious as possible).

I use my x1 for two things - cue points and loops. The only other thing I have mapped on my dnx for traktor are the filter and key knobs due to the lack of a proper filter on my mixer and that I will sometimes pitch up and down to mix a vocal or track in-key.

I am not ranting at you btw, I am just explaining fully why I want a mixer that doesn't require me to go into traktor besides getting my music and setting loops and cue points. I apologize for the long post to such a simple question.

I use traktor for a few reasons, one is that CDJs are way too expensive, I like the feel of vinyl, I like that I can see waveforms and easily jump through a track, I believe general library navigation is easier, and quantized loops and queues. If 1 wasn't true then Id likely not use traktor at all save for the ease of navigation through tracks and libraries.
Dino Hapgood
Originally Posted by shogg
Do you get lot of latency with the internal sound card of the mixer?
Nope. Works just like any scratch certified sound card. Just less cables. And I have an audio 6 for when I gig out so I've tested both. I used the audio 6 for a while when the dn x1600 was acting up with my MacBook. The only difference is less cables.

I used to gig with it too. Brought it to more than a few gigs before I bought my audio 6 and when I was doing a regular thing at a bar with a pio djm600 which was complete balls.

As a side note: the xfader is amazing for a 4 channel club mixer. You can change the cut in speed on it. You can also change the cutoffs for the isolated eqs (which are full kill as well). It really is a fantastic mixer. Like I said, the only drawback is the limited set of efx. The echo-reverb effect, however, creates a great build up "swoosh" effect and is post-fader so I use it heavily.

I am looking to sell mine if you're interested as I want to get a pio 900.
Dino Hapgood
Nice setup man.
I've been believeing about gettint that mixer,you good with it?Any problems,how is the build quality?
I really enjoy it and have had absolutely zero problems. The one problem I had was back w/ traktor scratch 2.0 where it would take FOREVER to recognize the soundcard. Now it's all gravy though. Build quality is absolutely solid. Full metal construction. All the knobs and buttons feel great, faders are awesome. I can't complain about the mixer except for the FX section and the lack of a good filter. That's why I wanted to move to a DJM or RMX.

Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Personally, if I was using timecode, I'd replace the conventional mixer with an all-in-one controller, something like the Reloop Jockey 3; that way, you've got full control over FX, loops, beatjumping, cue points etc, while still being able to use the TTs for transport and scratching. It also means if you go out to do a more commercial set somewhere, you can leave the TTs at home and just use the controller for everything.

It'd be a FAR better investment than the RMX-1000.

EDIT: Like this:
I have an X1 for all of that. I enjoy the ergonomics of a real mixer better than a controller. I had the S4 and something just didn't feel very...connected...to me. I just don't enjoy mixing in the box. I fully mapped my X1600 as a midi controller just to see what I liked better, and I can say fully that mixing using a real mixer with real gain control and on-board FX is so much more intuitive to me. I just enjoy a more simplistic workflow. If I was going to get a midi controller I'd ditch the TT's entirely and go with a DDJ SX. If I were to ever go out and mix I'd just use the club's CDJ's or bring my Turntables like I used to.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Frank112916
So I started djing two years ago with little knowledge and a lot of hope. Started out originally on an s4 and crappy reloop headphones, but then sold that to get this:

That's still my current setup for the most part. Love my dn x-1600 and tech 12s. Added the x1 a bit later on and Painted my tech-12s flat black. I bought hd-II headphones and now I've finally upgraded my monitors to something a but more...substantial...

I did not realize quite how big the rp8s were when I ordered them. haha. Once I get my new apartment Ill be building myself a proper ikea setup and mini studio to do some production work. I kind of want to upgrade to a pio 900nxs but I believe the better route may be to get an rmx-1000. Someone give me some advice! I toyed around with getting cdj 2ks for a while but everyone says that's useless and a waste of money w/ traktor and I enjoy the laptop for the freedom and ability to mix dynamically.
Personally, if I was using timecode, I'd replace the conventional mixer with an all-in-one controller, something like the Reloop Jockey 3; that way, you've got full control over FX, loops, beatjumping, cue points etc, while still being able to use the TTs for transport and scratching. It also means if you go out to do a more commercial set somewhere, you can leave the TTs at home and just use the controller for everything.

Dino Hapgood

Dino Hapgood
Thanks! I'd love to have a pioneer setup though. I saw in the other thread you're looking to downgrade but I don't believe I can afford even second hand nexus' right now, haha. Maybe one day I won't have to clean needles anymore, lol.
Craig Kosloff
pretty legit setup man
Dino Hapgood

Added this new toy, sl25 mk II, to my setup to try my hand at production. Think I might go with Logic Pro instead of ableton. I just am not really feeling the workflow. Plus I can get logic for free legally and ableton 9 looks great but cost a fortune for someone who makes no money off music production.
Dino Hapgood
well i just tried it with the advanced HID and that works as to be expected. Still believe that Mixvibes Cross is a bit more snappy but that could be because of the program being more lightweight than Traktor.

At least im glad that NI is getting more on point at least when it comes to cdj's
Yeah but with traktor and cdj 900/2000s you can get a db2 and not worry about time code! Haha.
Btw: if you want traktor to run faster, buy a solid state drive. It's the best purchase I've ever made for a computer.
Lakendra Sasek

Dino Hapgood
W/ 2.6 you can scroll through tracks on the cdj lcds, and perform functions as usual, plus you get high resolution jogs.
Lakendra Sasek
well maybe i should try the advanced hid setting but when i first connected the cdj it only worked with standard. problem was that there was lag, its not my laptop quadcore i7 8gbram ssd but it just didnt feel snappy. (i have to say that standard + traktor 2.5 did work well, since 2.6 its laggy)

specialy when i connected the cdj with mixvibes. it just felt like i was using the cdj's as normal but connected to a screen with a big wavefrom.
Dino Hapgood

Ok as an owner of cdj900 i can tell that if you would want proper waveforms cdj2k is the only way to go. Or use it like i do with mixvibes cross which absolutely rocks. Cdj+traktor sucks bigtime.
I also own that dnx1600 and the only thing i miss is a per channel filter. I had my eye on the a&h db2 for a while but that one cannot be used for timecode, the buildin soundcard that is. I dont want to trade the comfort of not having to use a external soundcard with extra cables for timecode just because i want per channel filters. Mapping is not an option for me since i do not always use traktor.

So in a way i can relate to your problems. I will be keeping my eye on this thread..
What's wrong w/ cdjs and traktor now that there is full high resolution HID integration?
Lakendra Sasek

Dino Hapgood
It's overly complicated and the workflow, even on an x1, is not intuitive enough for me. I just want to jump on the decks and play - not fiddle around for hours trying to figure out what each minute adjustment on each one of the three knobs, to the echo effect, will make it sound exactly how it does on my mixer when I just twist the dry/wet.

Not to mention I get these weird pops and drop outs engaging and disengaging effects which is odd because I have a MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram, a solid state drive, and more than enough horsepower on my CPU to handle turning on one effect.

Then, to get post fader I have to mix in the box. There is something about it that I hate. The fader curves aren't adjustable, I have to go into the setting to adjust the xfader curve (unless I map a knob to do something it was never intended for). All of this access is perfectly laid out on a mixer because they are forced to do so if they want to offer such functionality. Then there is the impossible task of properly gain staging due to the absolutely useless vue meters in traktor (which were equally useless after I fully mapped the pre-fader vue meter to the mixer and which was the absolute worst experience I've ever had because NI has opted to make the process as tedious as possible).

I use my x1 for two things - cue points and loops. The only other thing I have mapped on my dnx for traktor are the filter and key knobs due to the lack of a proper filter on my mixer and that I will sometimes pitch up and down to mix a vocal or track in-key.

I am not ranting at you btw, I am just explaining fully why I want a mixer that doesn't require me to go into traktor besides getting my music and setting loops and cue points. I apologize for the long post to such a simple question.

I use traktor for a few reasons, one is that CDJs are way too expensive, I like the feel of vinyl, I like that I can see waveforms and easily jump through a track, I believe general library navigation is easier, and quantized loops and queues. If 1 wasn't true then Id likely not use traktor at all save for the ease of navigation through tracks and libraries.
Lakendra Sasek
Jordon Atterholt
Thanks man.I plan to pick it up locally,but thanks.
About the FX,i plan to get a RMX-1000,to go with the mixer,since i watched a few videos on the efx,and i prefer the RMX-1000.
But i will update my setup early summer,so i have plenty of time to believe what to get.Still need to choose between turntables or cdjs,but so far i am leaning towards buying turntables,but might in the end get some 900s or nexus cdjs if i save up the cash for them.
Dino Hapgood
Nope. Works just like any scratch certified sound card. Just less cables. And I have an audio 6 for when I gig out so I've tested both. I used the audio 6 for a while when the dn x1600 was acting up with my MacBook. The only difference is less cables.

I used to gig with it too. Brought it to more than a few gigs before I bought my audio 6 and when I was doing a regular thing at a bar with a pio djm600 which was complete balls.

As a side note: the xfader is amazing for a 4 channel club mixer. You can change the cut in speed on it. You can also change the cutoffs for the isolated eqs (which are full kill as well). It really is a fantastic mixer. Like I said, the only drawback is the limited set of efx. The echo-reverb effect, however, creates a great build up "swoosh" effect and is post-fader so I use it heavily.

I am looking to sell mine if you're interested as I want to get a pio 900.
Jordon Atterholt
Nevada Edgette
I gave in and got an RMX. Love the damn thing!
Armanda Yankauskas
djm 900 nexus... problem solved
Dino Hapgood
Nice setup man.
I've been believeing about gettint that mixer,you good with it?Any problems,how is the build quality?
I really enjoy it and have had absolutely zero problems. The one problem I had was back w/ traktor scratch 2.0 where it would take FOREVER to recognize the soundcard. Now it's all gravy though. Build quality is absolutely solid. Full metal construction. All the knobs and buttons feel great, faders are awesome. I can't complain about the mixer except for the FX section and the lack of a good filter. That's why I wanted to move to a DJM or RMX.

Originally Posted by mdcdesign

I have an X1 for all of that. I enjoy the ergonomics of a real mixer better than a controller. I had the S4 and something just didn't feel very...connected...to me. I just don't enjoy mixing in the box. I fully mapped my X1600 as a midi controller just to see what I liked better, and I can say fully that mixing using a real mixer with real gain control and on-board FX is so much more intuitive to me. I just enjoy a more simplistic workflow. If I was going to get a midi controller I'd ditch the TT's entirely and go with a DDJ SX. If I were to ever go out and mix I'd just use the club's CDJ's or bring my Turntables like I used to.
Jordon Atterholt
Nice setup man.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Frank112916

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy