The 13yr journey to my hybrid setup

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The 13yr journey to my hybrid setupReply
The 13yr journey to my hybrid setup
Posted on: 28.03.2013 by Valery Ellick
My journey started about 13yrs ago... I started with CDJ's (100's at the time!!) after learning to beatmatch, I quickly realized that (unfortunately) CDJ's were still too new to have enough respect to be played out (regardless of my skill, I wasn't getting booked). I sold my CDJ's for Technics and almost immediately started getting booked. Over the next several years I played out semi-regularly... Eventually, I'd take a few year break to start a family and relocate to a bigger city...After those few years off, I was suddenly behind the curve...CDJ's and DVS were now the staple...I had to make a decision - cling to my 'old school' vinyl roots, bridge the gap with DVS/CDJs, or go in a completely new direction (controllers). With the help of Ean and the DJTT community, I made the decision to dive head first into the controller route. I started with an S2 and quickly added a MF Classic (traded for an MF3D) and eventually I'd add an MFPro. In an effort to make my setup more flexible when playing out and give me an opportunity to dust off my Technics, I recently picked up a Z2.
Before people start pointing out the redundancy in having an S2 and Z2, keep in mind my efforts for a flexible setup. With this setup, I can play a set with a Z2 (or S2) and Midi Fighters or a Z2/DVS set with midi fighters.
At home, when combined with my Z2, I'm mostly using the S2 for transport controls and JogFX. I use the Z2 for a mixer, Flux mode (I love having the pad's secondary controls set to micro loops), some macroFX, and a USB hub. My MF3D is my primary non-macroFX and remix deck controller. The MFPro is my primary macroFX controller, slicer/sampler mode, and cue point juggler, with EQ kills, beat jumps, and minimal transport (pause/play). The Technics are there for my vinyl collection and DVS (practice for playing out).

As for the workstation/table, I highly considered the Ikea route, but didn't have the time (or a nearby store) to build one. I opted for the On-Stage WS7500. With the optional corner piece (I might add another), I have about $200 in it.

Here are a few pics of my current setup.

IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1913.jpg

After adding the corner attachment
IMG_1935.jpg

Obligatory artsy/intagram pic
IMG_1937.jpg
Valery Ellick
My journey started about 13yrs ago... I started with CDJ's (100's at the time!!) after learning to beatmatch, I quickly realized that (unfortunately) CDJ's were still too new to have enough respect to be played out (regardless of my skill, I wasn't getting booked). I sold my CDJ's for Technics and almost immediately started getting booked. Over the next several years I played out semi-regularly... Eventually, I'd take a few year break to start a family and relocate to a bigger city...After those few years off, I was suddenly behind the curve...CDJ's and DVS were now the staple...I had to make a decision - cling to my 'old school' vinyl roots, bridge the gap with DVS/CDJs, or go in a completely new direction (controllers). With the help of Ean and the DJTT community, I made the decision to dive head first into the controller route. I started with an S2 and quickly added a MF Classic (traded for an MF3D) and eventually I'd add an MFPro. In an effort to make my setup more flexible when playing out and give me an opportunity to dust off my Technics, I recently picked up a Z2.
Before people start pointing out the redundancy in having an S2 and Z2, keep in mind my efforts for a flexible setup. With this setup, I can play a set with a Z2 (or S2) and Midi Fighters or a Z2/DVS set with midi fighters.
At home, when combined with my Z2, I'm mostly using the S2 for transport controls and JogFX. I use the Z2 for a mixer, Flux mode (I love having the pad's secondary controls set to micro loops), some macroFX, and a USB hub. My MF3D is my primary non-macroFX and remix deck controller. The MFPro is my primary macroFX controller, slicer/sampler mode, and cue point juggler, with EQ kills, beat jumps, and minimal transport (pause/play). The Technics are there for my vinyl collection and DVS (practice for playing out).

As for the workstation/table, I highly considered the Ikea route, but didn't have the time (or a nearby store) to build one. I opted for the On-Stage WS7500. With the optional corner piece (I might add another), I have about $200 in it.

Here are a few pics of my current setup.

IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1913.jpg

After adding the corner attachment
IMG_1935.jpg

Obligatory artsy/intagram pic
IMG_1937.jpg
Georgie Lukowiak
That Z2 looks so lonely over there..

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS